Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

on 12/16/2016 2:11:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

An October birthday splurge for me. So, I have this for a couple of months. And loving it. I was in evil Ulta (finally became a rewards member) to buy another replacement for the Lorac Pro palette that I finally finished and I then decided, well, another 5 bucks I could get something better and smells good. And the pans are larger, too. I dithered between this and Semi-sweet. I chosed this because Semi-sweet pulled orange toned on my skin when I swatched it from the tester.

I used all the colors! Even the large frosty white one! (it pulls white on me and it is sheer enough, not over the top. Am so glad that there is no black shadow either!) I don't even use primer, it is that good! I use this every day, neglecting all the other palettes I have. ( I threw away the Tarte Tartlette matte palette after this-it wasn't working anymore and the shadows were getting hard.) And, I made quite a dent in some of the shadows, so I probably ended up buying another. Some of the shadows apply better with a sponge tip applicator. I use Cover Girls'. The light pink shadow I use as base and while sheer, it doesn't bother me.

The only con? While I love the chocolate smell, it diminished every time I open it. It was strong in the beginning in the first month, and now, in December, there is a faint smell of chocolate. Thought I put this out for those of you who are sensitive to smells, it does disappear.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have slightly mixed results with this palette, but I love it. It's a mostly neutral palette with matte and shimmery and glittery shadows. Mostly matte and shimmer, fifty-fifty with a few glittery. The purple shadow is glittery. These are very finely powdered and creamy-textured. They smell like milk chocolate. Amazingly so. I don't know how they did that, but it's truly chocolate scented. The eye shadows can look muddy if you don't apply them carefully--some of the colors are mid-beiges and caramels. This is true of brown palettes for me in general--if I don't apply them carefully, I look tired. Even so, I adore this palette and carry it on trips--it's sturdy and looks exactly like a large chocolate bar. I use the Too Face tube primer with these shadows to keep them on.

on 6/28/2014 4:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

There's cocoa powder in every shadow in this palette, as well as vanillin, so it smells good enough to eat. And I guess Too Faced thought some people might, because there's also saccharin in each to sweeten them! ...although I'm not planning to taste them.

I rarely buy palettes, so I procrastinated before getting it. It comes in a sweet girly box, and the palette is an adorable chocolate brown tin shape like, yes, a chocolate bar. Two of the 16 colors are larger to use as a base or all-over brightener, one is a pale champaign-y matte, the other frosted with a hint of pink. The remaining 14 are mostly shades of brown, from pale beige to very very dark brown.The shades range from cool to reddish to yellow-based, so there's some to suit every skin tone. Plus there are several non-brown 'candy' colors for contrast - a matte pale icing sugar pink, a frosty pale apricot, a deep cherry brown with sparkles, and a dark dusty violet with sparkles. 6 of the 16 are mattes, more than enough for me, 2 have micro-glitter, and the remaining 8 are softly frosted.

Most of the shadows are creamy going on with good color payoff, but a few are a bit more 'high maintenance' requiring more finesse to get good color out of them - particularly the two with micro-glitter. I recommend using an eyeshadow primer, and using only 3 , maybe 4, colors at a time for the cleanest looks. This palette lets you create primarily neutral toned and smokey brown eye looks, but there are plenty of other possibilities if you play with the colors without preconceived ideas of eye looks, or add in other colors from beyond this palette -hmmm, I'm thinking light periwinkle blue or frosty lime might work well.

I'm very happy to have this palette of chocolately eye shadow goodness.

on 5/24/2014 6:03:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

So completely love this palette! I have had it for a month now and just finally got around to using it. I love it! The shadows are all so natural looking in a wonderful kind of way. I usually do not go for such natural colors but these are amazing. The shadows go on so smoothly and evenly, and I love the chocolate aroma. The smell does not last very long but it is soothing to my senses as I apply my makeup. The array of colors in this selection are arranged in a well planned method. This is for sure going to be one of my palettes that I reach for daily for some time to come. The case is different to say the least but I still like it. I like that it is metal although the design of a chocolate bar is a bit cheesy IMO. The price for this palette may seem a bit high at first but there are so many different shades and so many different ways of using the shades that it makes the price more reasonable. Some of the colors can be used for cheek highlighters as well as contouring if one is into that kind of application. Me, I just love the colors, the smell, and the quality!

Video Reviews & Tutorials