Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.5

on 9/26/2017 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The selection of mostly brown shadows presented in a tin shaped like a Hershey bar was a stroke of genius – this is a top seller that spawned sequels: Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar, Chocolate Bon Bons, Peanut Butter & Jelly, Peanut Butter & Honey, and the Sweet Peach palette.

I didn’t hop on the bandwagon right away so I ended up buying the second generation of the original Chocolate Bar palette. The colors are the same but the packaging is slimmer and the names are printed above the pans. The first run was in a bulkier tin and the names were printed on an easy-to-lose plastic insert. It still comes with a little pamphlet that includes diagrams of three eye designs.

Performance:

Too Faced recommends using their Shadow Insurance eye primer as a base. If you already own a tube of something similar such as Urban Decay’s Primer Potion or MAC’s Prep + Prime eye base, you can procrastinate buying their primer, but it does help the shadows last longer without losing intensity. In lieu of eye primer I’ve been able to use Laura Mercier’s Caviar Stick in Vanilla Kiss with good results. The texture of the Caviar Stick is ever-so-slightly tacky so powders cling to it.

Some of the shadows have better pigmentation than others. Most of them blend nicely with good brushes. I like to use the Wayne Goss eye brushes, but MAC 221 and Laura Mercier’s Ponytail brush are also great for the crease. Charlotte Tilbury’s Eye Blender and MAC 217 are blending brushes I reach for often. Tilbury’s smudge brush is good for running color along the lower lashline.

Colors:

My favorite mattes in this palette are:

White Chocolate: This is a cream colored base shade. I’m glad they made this pan larger because I include this highlight color every time I use Chocolate Bar.

Salted Caramel: This peachy tan goes on smoothly and it’s a wonderful transition shade. You can apply the darker colors over it and they never look muddy. I will probably hit pan on this one first.

Milk Chocolate: Another warm beige but less peachy than Salted Caramel, another good transition color.

Semi-Sweet: Great matte brown crease color - I rely on this one a lot, along with Hazelnut.

Triple Fudge: Fudge is rich and dark but surprisingly easy to blend with soft brushes.

I also like Cherry Cordial, a burgundy which is a nice change from some of the more predictable browns, and Strawberry Bon Bon, a cool pink that is easy to work with.

My favorite shimmers are:

Gilded Ganache – this looks olive in the pan but easily blends with the browns and doesn’t look crazy green on the eyes.

Crème Brulee – a gorgeous antique gold with great pigmentation.

Haute Chocolate – a shimmery brown, similar in depth to Hazelnut.

Marzipan – a pale peachy beige shimmer.

Champagne Truffle - a shimmery base shade.

I usually love purple, so I’m surprised that my least favorite shades in this palette are Candied Violet and Black Forest Truffle. Both are smoky, greyish and metallic. There are more vibrant purples in the Peanut Butter & Jelly palette. Amaretto looks promising in the pan but I have to work to build it up.

Fallout:

These are soft powders and when you pack them on you are bound to get a light dusting of cocoa-colored shadow on the cheekbones. Tapping the excess off your brush before applying color to the lids reduces the amount of fallout, but even so I frequently find myself tidying up afterward. So when I’m working with this palette I actually prefer to do my eye makeup first and my foundation afterward. I've noticed that Charlotte Tilbury's shadows are neater, less dusty. Even the Too Faced Peanut Butter palettes seem to generate less fallout than Chocolate Bar.

The Fragrance:

These powders smell like chocolate. I bought this for the colors and usually prefer fragrance free shadow. However, the scent doesn't bother me. I enjoy Chocolate Bar and I use it a lot.

The Verdict:

The adorable packaging and step-by-step instructions make this an irresistible gift for teens. It’s a nice range of neutrals that doesn’t put you to sleep.

I’ve been especially pleased with the wear of these shades: Crème Brulee, Haute Chocolate, Triple Fudge, Semi-Sweet, Salted Caramel, White Chocolate, Hazelnut, Marzipan, and Gilded Ganache when packed on for a smoky eye.

Although I trust the magnetic closure at home I prefer something that clicks shut to go in my suitcase. When I pack for trips I’m more likely to grab Too Faced’s smaller nine-pan tins.

The mid-range prices of Too Faced are easier to afford than brands like Tom Ford, whose quads are $85 each. If you’re interested in this palette, look for sales on the Too Faced website as well as Ulta, Sephora, and Macy’s. The retail price of Chocolate Bar is $49 but I bought mine during a promotion for $39.

I liked Chocolate Bar enough that I went on to purchase the Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar, both of the Peanut Butter nine-pan tins, Just Peachy Mattes, and Kandee Johnson’s Candy Eyes. I don't think Chocolate Bar is a perfect palette (hence the 4 out of 5 rating) but it's certainly a good one and I reach for it often.

on 4/10/2017 8:29:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This palette is a gorgeous neutral palette with very wearable warm and cool neutrals for all complexions. The pigmentation is excellent, and I've used every single color in this palette, which is something I've never done with any eyeshadow palette. The warm colors are neutral enough to be used for cool skin tones, which is unusual from my experience. Warm colors, even neutrals, pull orange on me, but I can wear these with ease.

The reason I didn't give this palette a 5 is that the shimmery shadows are too metallic looking for my aging eyes, and there are a couple of glittery colors, which aren't OTT glitter, but just enough to make me not want to wear them because the glitter is noticeable. This is unfortunate because the color combos with this palette are endless. There are a few matte shades, but not as many as I would've hoped.

I would still recommend this palette to anyone, and I will still use it, but I will reserve the high shimmer shades for evenings out.

on 1/30/2017 9:41:00 AM

I like this more than I thought I would. It was a gift and when I opened it I thought cute packaging but neutrals similar to what I have, plus a few colors I wouldn't wear (pink , sparkly purple...). But the colors are all gorgeous on with great texture and color payoff. I wear almost every shade and only find one shadow I feel is in need of improvement- the pale creamy beige I use on the brow bone. It's matte, nice color, but not enough color payoff. I offer go over it with a MAC shade like vanilla or orb. Love the rest and recommend

on 12/29/2016 8:52:00 PM

I really enjoy all there eye shadow sets. I love the packaging that's the draw of it for me. The colors are great quite a few different ones that the usual to play around with. My favorite colors would be the triple fudge and gilded ganache. Great shimmer to 10 of the colors. Last a lot longer then The Balm shadow I just bought a couple weeks ago. I will definitely buy all their collections when I can afford them.

on 10/3/2016 9:03:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

This eyeshadow palette is all you need. Such a great collection of natural colors for everyone. Pigmented and smooth with out any fallout or glitter. A must have!

on 8/28/2016 4:49:00 AM

I`ve bought this a few months ago and I was waiting to try all the shadows and play with different looks before I could write a fair review. A few years ago I was trying to decide between this and the Naked UD palette. The SA in Bangkok was pushing really heavily for the UD and did a bunch of looks on me to convince me into buying it. So I got the UD Naked out of politeness and also because the golden smokey eye she did was great. But truth be told, I use only a few of the shades from UD because there is too much glitter and I just need simple, more sophisticated looks. I should`ve gotten the Too Faced Chocolate Bar! I love the matte shades in this one so much and it`s so easy to use in the morning when I am rushing. Also there is more variety in the darker smoky shades to create more diverse looks than with UD. The violets, the greens, the browns in this one are so much prettier and less garish than the UD palette. Would I repurchase? Probably not, but just because I go slowly through my palettes and they seem to last me a good while.

on 5/18/2016 5:40:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I personally love this palette. The color range is largely neutral, and there are enough purples & champagne shades to really work nicely with my brown eyes. It doesn't have a lot of bright or dark shades, but I personally go for more conservative looks, and so this is perfect for me. The packaging is nice - a metal case with a mirror. The shadows themselves are soft, pigmented, and buttery. They blend nicely and wear throughout a full workday for me (although I always use an eyeshadow primer). The palette does have a faint chocolate scent, but I do not find it overwhelming, and I don't notice it once the eyeshadows are applied. I can only detect it if I actually pick up the palette & sniff it. I own a lot of eyeshadows, and I find myself reaching for this one fairly often. I would definitely repurchase it.

on 4/23/2016 6:58:00 PM

Ok so besides my Urban decay naked palletes this is by far my favorite!
i had been wanting to get this for a long time after seeing many youtubers rave about this product and the rave is real guys!! lol.. its a little bit pricey but its defintley worth it, all of the shades are totally wearable and blend like a dream! very pigemented but the only shadows i seem to have trouble with pigmentation wise is cherry cordial and candied violet, beautiful colors in the pan but kinda chalky when i tryed to build them up, but it didnt bother me to much anyway as theres soooo many other beautiful colors in the pallete! Packaging isn't amazing but its not bad, its sleek and a decent sized mirror inside and sturdy.

smells absolutely AMAZING! its a pleasure to work with! Overall very impressed and i will defintley be purchasing Too faceds next choc bar pallete semi-sweet!

Trust me.. Buy this pallete!! you wont be dissapointed :)

on 3/13/2016 5:10:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I really love this palette. I love the colors, the texture, the smell which is a natural smelling light chocolate smell. These shadows are extremely blend able and the fall out is minimal. I have very oily eyelids and nothing stay for a long, except this and few more.

on 3/11/2016 12:15:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Oh wow! I have purchased many high end makeup and eye shadow palettes over the years, I have never really been overly impressed with *any* of them until now.

Wow!! I really love this palette. I love the colors! I love the texture! I love the smell which is a natural smelling light chocolate smell. These shadows are extremely blend able and the fall out is minimal. I am fair with yellow/peach undertone and these colors are so great for me. I have started using shadows on a regular basis because I love this product so much.

Btw, the orangish colors are *super flattering* and they are really not colors that I would have ever tried previously.