Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.2

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Other

I have nearly purchased this palette time and time again. With it being half off at Ulta recently I finally purchased it. And I will be returning it. My overall impression, snore fest with mediocre shadows.
The packaging is a magnetic tin. The magnet is pretty weak so it doesn’t feel very secure. And the mirror inside rattles. It’s a very cute design and uses space well. I like that the names are printed by the shadows.
The formula for most of the shadows is so dry and dusty. They apply pretty smoothly and blend well but getting color pay off on some is a beast. The mattes are ok, a little dry and stiff and very hard packed but ok. I love salted Carmel, triple fudge, and white chocolate. Semi sweet, milk chocolate, and cherry cordial were ok. Strawberry Bon Bon didn’t have much color pay off, I had to really pack it on. The true shimmers are pretty nice too. I love marzipan and champagne truffle. Creme Brule and haute chocolate work well. But the satiny shimmers are terrible. They are dusty and super densely packed. You have to use them wet to get any color pay off so you really can’t use them in the crease. Gilded ganache, candied violet, hazelnut were the worst. I got amaretto to be quite pretty when foiled. Black Forest truffle is bad too. Over all there were about 5 shades I loved, 4 I was ok with, and 7 I disliked.
As for the colors of these shades, snore fest. This is the most uninspirering palette I have ever worked with. And that’s probably because 7 of the shades wouldn’t show up on my lids. I’m theory guided ganache, cherry cordial, and candied violet could be fun. But they all either had poor pigmentation and poor color saturation. Cherry cordial performs ok but it ends up looking washed out brown on the lid, not burgundy. Strawberry Bon Bon doesn’t show up. I cannot get candied violet or gilded ganache to look like anything on the lid. It’s a patchy, faded, colorless mess. If I kept this palette I would use about 5 shades which are all easily duped in my collection and that it. Those five shades are quite good but I just don’t want this palette taking up space in my collection for that. I remember watching someone try to pan this palette on YouTube and I just remember how frustrated she was and how much she hated it. And I recently also watched a one month one palette with it and she got very bored of it. I can see why both of those ladies struggled. It’s going back as soon as I’m by an Ulta.

I bought this at Ulta during their 21 Days of Beauty sale. I’ve been quite impressed with the quality of the shadows, however, the colors show up very muddy and don’t blend well at all. I ended up giving this palette to my coworker since she loves Too Faced. Not to mention, I ended up having a bad reaction to the scent.

I got this back in the day when this was new and hyped and everyone kept talking about it. It was one of my very first eye pallettes ever so my expectations weren't as high as they are now as I didn't have much comparison. I kept using it, the packaging was cute and it smelled nice. But when buying the eye pallette you expect shadows to be good and there are pretty meh. To tell the truth I haven't had much luck with Too Faced products overall, I think apart from the super lovely packaging they are pretty overpriced and overhyped for what they are. The shadows in the pallette don't blend nicely and don't have a staying power, also the pigmentaion is really not that good and there's much fallout. I am not impressed with this one and I gave it away.

on 5/31/2018 12:20:00 PM

Colors are wearable, warm neutrals and for the price there is a decent amount of product and shade selection. Unfortunately *I* am allergic to this shadow. Understandably ymmv but I don't know why fragrance (as in parfum/artificial) is added to an eye product when the eyes are so sensitive and eyelid skin is so thin and delicate. TF has revamped their line where basically ALL of their shadows are now artificially scented and now they're basically dead to me as a brand bc of this. Even the 9 pans are revamped now w added fragrance. I feel like they isolated a huge market that wants their makeup to just be high performing makeup, not a kitschy looking collectors piece that smells like ice cream.

on 7/26/2017 1:24:00 AM

This was the palette that introduced me to high end makeup. I remember looking everywhere for an eye-shadow palette that had great colours with excellent pigmentation and performance. This palette ticked all the boxes. I have bought drugstore eye-shadows before to much dismay, as they looked great in the pan but were bland on the eyes. This palette was and continues to be my favourite eye-shadow palette and formula. Whenever I wear this it always gives me beautiful looks. I can do darker more sultry styles and Light everyday work makeup.

The shadows are creamy and soft without kickback or fall out. I love the shades and the pigment is as beautiful on the lid as in the pan. The shadows last all day with my Elf eye-shadow primer and they never look muddy. I love the smell and enjoy applying eye-shadow because of this palette. I will definitely always have this palette and can happily say I own other palettes like the semi sweet and peach because I love the line.

on 5/18/2016 9:51:00 AM

These go on nicely for the most part, except for the purple/maroon shades. I love the peachy-gold (marizipan), matte orange-y brown (salted caramel), and straight gold (creme brulee), they are beautiful and go on smoothly. Champagne truffle is a nice if easily dupeable highlight. But other than that, these colors look extremely similar on my eyes. So many shades of brown that all look the same on my lid. Hazelnut and Amaretto were particularly disappointing, both looked like browns that were more than average shimmery browns. But nope, looked exactly identical on my eyes. Again, the purples are different, but all of those are chunky and lack pigment. It is difficult to achieve different eye looks, so for me, it is not a particularly great palette.

I have used this but only one I do not personally own I love the bonbon is a must have for me so had to have that and semi sweet also but Def want this one next I used it and smell is like semi sweet both gorgeous they all are amazing little high priced but u do get lots of colors that are all good not boring .if u have wanted it Def order it

on 1/18/2016 10:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

This palette is great! I ignored this when it first came out cos I thought it is just another overrated product but then I decided to give it a go and try it.

I just love the colors. It has a wide range of pale/nudes,browns,bronze,plums,pinks, to deeper neutrals. I also love that the colors that can be used as highlighters like for the browbone are bigger in size. They definitely thought about it and I thank them for that.

The texture and blendability also is very good. With an eye primer, you'll never have a problem using this palette. It's very versatile. The cute packaging and its smell(chocolate smell) are just a bonus.

It's definitely worth a try!

on 12/27/2015 7:58:00 PM

I love this pallet! It's beautiful and smells like chocolate! The colors blend beautifully, and you can do a lot of looks with this one pallet. Don't let the price scare you, as with most high end eye-shadow pallets, they are well worth the money. It takes years to hit pan. I will definitely repurchase!

on 11/13/2015 11:34:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I was definitely intrigued when I saw this palette being praised by many MUA's so thought I would jump on the bandwagon and go for it as well. So so happy with the texture, blend-ability and wear of these shadows. Best yet, I have sensitive skin and this eye shadow palette caused absolutely no reactions (redness, bumps, itchy-ness). There are a total of 6 velvet matte shades and 10 shimmering shades. The shades are a mix of neutrals, bronze, plums, pinks and chocolate hues. The holding powder of the shadows in my experience was 8+ hours without any budging so they can be potentially considered semi-water resistant in my opinion. I LOVE the cocoa powder scent (the eyeshadows are infused with 100% cocoa powder) along with the chocolate bar shaped packaging; very clever and cute! Great value for the price considering there are a multitude of looks that can be created with this palette which makes it fun to experiment with. I created a few different smokey eye looks using this palette on Youtube. Links are down below.....