Too Faced Chocolate Bar Eyeshadow Palette

4.4

on 10/23/2016 11:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

I had been lusting after this palette like forever and now I feel slightly let down. Sure, the packaging is terribly cute and the scent is divine. The mix of earthy and purple colors looks right up my alley but in reality isn't as versatile as I hoped.

First of all you do need to use a primer. And no, TFSI isn't enough so I use creamy ones like Paintpots or Color Tatoos to provide a more substantial base.

White Chocolate looks very similar to my favourite highlighter - Blanc Type by MAC. I was very excited to have a big pan of this color but pigmentation is laughable in comparison. Same with Strawberry Bon Bon. Champagne Truffle is pretty but I'd use such light and shimmery color only on the tear duct (not a fan of shimmery browbone highlighters here) Consequently I have to opt for another matte highlighter anyway and that takes some versatility points off.

Gilded Ganache needs a darker cream base or wet application or else it comes off as light shimmery gray instead of earthy golden green. Black Forest Truffle and Candied Violet have the same issue but look stunning applied wet! Especially the pink-blue sparkles in Candied Violet really show this way. That look makes quite a statement though so I don't use them for daytime although they are beautiful.

Amaretto, Cherry Cordial and Triple Fudge are really nice for darkening the outer corner but that's just a nice accent, not what makes a look.

Milk Chocolate, Semi-Sweet and Salted Caramel have good pigmentation. You can trust on them to find a suitable matte earthy crease color anytime so thumbs up!

Marzipan and Creme Brulee are the two I use on the lids for daytime on my fair skin, Hazelnut and Haute Chocolate can be used the same way but the overall effect will be deeper. That said if you're fair like me and don't opt for smokey looks each day you have basically only two lid colors left - more versatility points off.

Another issue I have is that they mostly need to be packed for the colors to show up true to the pan - here a 239 brush comes very handy - and since quite a few shades are close in terms of hue and depth when blended the result can be too homogenous. Still, all the looks I've created with this palette have turned out beautiful (the golden, purple and reddish undertones really compliment green eyes) but the effect is almost always on the hazy side. If you're a fan of smokey eyes you'll enjoy this palette a lot but if you're after crisp, vivid eyeshadow looks you'll find this palette hard to provide that.

To be fair though they stay put all day, fallout is minimal, shimmer/small glitter is tastefully done and haven't experienced any creasing.

In a nutshell Chocolate Bar is still a nice palette in my book and don't regret purchasing it but some shades are underwhelming and I find that it works better in conjunction with other eyeshadows than as a stand-alone palette for me.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

My current favorite palettes of the moment are this and Chocolate Bon Bons, which has some similar shades but overall they are a different experience, and this Chocolate Bar runs more brown.
The colors in this palette are GORGEOUS, pigmented, smooth, so on and so forth. The mattes and the shimmers are both creamy and long-wearing. Before these palettes, I would occasionally run into a not-so-pigmented shade or two in my Too Faced palettes, but they've really perfected their craft and these palettes are worth every penny, and then some.
There are two browbone shades in larger pans, White Chocolate (pale cream matte shade), and Champagne Truffle, a shimmery pale icy pink. Both are beautiful but I prefer a shimmer on my browbone, so I mostly use Champagne Truffle for that and White Chocolate on the lid as a base color.
Salted Caramel and Milk Chocolate are perfect medium-toned matte transition colors; the former being warm terra cotta colored, the latter a cooler brown. Both blend very well and get a lot of use in my day-to-day makeup looks. There is also a darker matte shade, Semi-Sweet, great for corners when rounding out a matte eye look.
A nice strawberry-milk colored pink (Strawberry Bon Bon), two shimmery pale and medium golds (Marzipan and Creme Brûlée), some warmer red toned (Amaretto and Cherry Cordial- the latter being my favorite dark shade), and some other dark shimmers (Hazelnut, Black Truffle, Haute Chocolate, Black Forest Truffle, Triple Fudge, Candied Violet- indigo blue/purple, and Gilded Ganache- gold/green) complete the assortment. There is a favorite color or two here for everyone; I have a hard time choosing, but Champagne Truffle, Marzipan, Salted Caramel and Cherry Cordial are some stand outs so far.
These colors are great for creating a multitude of both matte and shimmery looks, but generally I like to mix them and really throw in as many colors as I can to make everything blend really seamlessly. It is not a loud, in-your-face color selection but then again those kinds of palettes never really call my name or look right on me, even if they're good quality shadows. This is a palette for the everyday woman who prefers natural, romantic or softer smoky eyes for day or night.
The packaging really is adorable and looks great displayed. It smells divine. I've said it before and I'll say it again- Too Faced's packaging might be what drew me in, but the quality is what keeps me buying, and now I will be a fan for life.
The price ($49) is obviously higher than your run-of-the-mill drugstore palette, but those aren't offering the quantity and (generally) quality of the eyeshadows presented here, nor the unique packaging. IMO, it is worth every dollar and I hope they never discontinue this because I need it in my life!

on 5/18/2016 5:32:00 AM

Love everything about this palette, i find that I can use every colour in this palette. I actually prefer this palette over the UD naked palette.
The eye shadows are very blend able, I've used eyeshadow a with and without primer and found the eyeshadow still stays a good 8 hours with out primer.
I love the chocolate smell of the eye shadows and the packaging the most, it's really cute and looks so pretty in my make up drawer.
I find that I reach for this palette a lot more than my UD gwen palette and the UD NAKED. It's definitely worth adding to your collection.

on 11/6/2015 1:49:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

Such a classic palette.I you just want to have one palette in your life this should be the one.

on 1/2/2015 9:24:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I bought this for the hype and the smell. I tell you if I was going to purchase this again based on the rating of the smell.. I would buy it times one million. That being said... for me, it doesn't work that great. I know alot of people love it... and I don't mind it, its just okay. I have the older version of the packaging so it is slightly larger than it needs to be. However all of the current purchases made of this product would definitly be smaller.

Hits:

Gilded Ganache
Candied Violet
Triple Fudge
Strawberry Bon BOn

The rest are not great but not terrible so they don't get any special mention they do what they are supposed to. I know alot of people are all over this pallete however I would not repurchase.

What can I say, I bought this because I fell in love with the whole chocolate smell and texture thing. Maybe I'm a sucker, but I really like it. I honestly wish more companies would give a nice scent to their powder products like too faced has with the chocolate line, but I digress.

I love this palette, the colors are flattering and highly blendable. I can't say that I love this more than any other I'm a little bit of a palette junkie. I would say it is up there with my Naked Palettes.

This is like a neutral eyeshadow palette with a little bit extra. It isn't just neutrals but the pops of color still have a neutral undertone that make them very easy to wear.

While I don't think you need every neutral shadow palette under the sun, I do think this would be a great one for beginners because it is not just nudes browns and blacks but it isn't difficult to wear either.

Bonus: I like to use the highlight shades and strawberry bon bon my 10yr old daughter once in a while. Its a great hint of color that, on her pale skin, barely shows. And she feels special cause its momma's chocolate eye shadow.

on 9/9/2014 5:59:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure

Oh my lord, this palette is AMAZING!! To start with, the pigmentation is perfect. Second of all, packaging is great because of the magnetic closure. And most important of all, these colours! Trust me, every single colour of this palette is incredibly beautiful. I think it contains atleast 3 colours that could be used for the crease area. You can make so many different eyelooks with this pallette, everyone should definitely own this one! Worth the price!

on 9/6/2014 8:46:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I love this palette. First of all, the smell is amazing! I had to make my fiance smell it when I first got it. He was blown away and perplexed as to how makeup can smell like chocolate. 2nd off, the packaging is adorable. Most importantly, the colors are amazing! They're very smooth and easy to apply and blend. The pigmentation is awesome and I love the variety of colors, as I've found myself using each of the colors at some point. Definitely the best palette I've picked up in a while!

on 3/8/2014 5:53:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm

Very pleased with this palette, the texture is lovely and creamy. Easy to work with and blend and they are pigmented. This is a warm palette which suites me well and is great for day or night looks. It smells like chocolate which i was a bit worried about but its actually quiet pleasing to smell. Definitely worth it for me.