New York Color HD Color Trio

I actually really like these eye shadows in the shades I bought. I have blue eyes and used to have two palettes from Almay that I really liked but they broke while traveling and the shades are not the same for the one palette I liked--they still have a shade I didn't like so much and got rid of another in the palette that I did like, go figure. So I was looking for something with similar shades or other colors that might look good with my blue eyes and I picked up "Blues Cafe" and "Battery Park Brown."

First thing is first--take the sponge applicator and the plastic divider that labels "base, crease and highlight" and just chuck them in the garbage. I don't wear the colors as they suggest. I use the mid tone shade on my lid, the deepest for the crease, and the highlight is still the highlight (if I'm using only one palette).

The pigment was ok. The worst colors were the taupey shimmer from "Battery Park"and the blue from "Blues Cafe." I still get color, it's not as nice an opaque as it could be, but honestly, I'm personally ok with that, because I'm not looking for BAM! uber strong navy, I just want something blue-ish and dark-ish to blend into my crease, and this works well for me. They actually do remind me of the Almay colors that I liked a lot, in shade and quality, so I'm happy that I got two palettes for the price of one Almay.

As far as blending, that is a skill I have been working on. I am not the best at blending, I don't think, but I feel I was able to blend these out pretty well so I didn't have harsh lines or anything. It took some time, but again, that was probably also some operator error, I do tend to take more time to blend even higher quality shadows.

I was super pleased with the staying power that I got out of these. I did use a primer, but I always have to use a primer, no matter what shadow I'm using as my eyelids have a tendency to be on the oilier side and I might get a little sweaty running around a work. But my eye shadow lasted for 10 hours, probably would have lasted longer, but I shower after work and wash my face. I had no creasing with these (+ the primer), all of the colors were still intact, so I still had a well defined crease, my highlight on my brow bone and in inner corners was still in place, so I was happy about that.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase. I previously had an eyeshadow quad from NYC, some years ago, and I hated it, I didn't really use it. If I recall correctly, I think it was even less pigmented, very very shimmery/glittery, there was a lot of fallout going on, and I didn't like the texture, so I think some improvements have certainly been made. I can see myself reaching for these over and over again. I even bought "Long Beach Sands" today. I'm happy with the swatches I did of that trio, but haven't worn them on my eyes yet. Also, there are quite a few color options, which I like, and is nice if you want to experiment without spending a lot of money, I believe these were the cheapest trio available at the Walmart I go to.

So the price is great, the quality I would say is pretty good for my purposes, nice shade selection, it's nice that they are widely available, the packaging doesn't seem too terribly cheap that it will fall apart immediately. Are these HG of all eye shadows status? No. But if you're on a budget, looking to experiment with colors, new to makeup, or maybe even tend toward a more simple everyday, blended look (vs bright and vivid more impactful looks--these will likely be too sheer for you), in my opinion, these are not at all a bad buy.

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

I purchased my NYC HD Color Trio in the shade 790, Concrete Jungle. I wouldn't recommend this product to anyone and here's why:

- This palette contains three colors: a metallic shimmery white, a shimmery dark navy blue, and a shimmery dark grey. I picked it up because the dark blue and grey both appealed to me. The white highlight shade is very sheer and pretty chalky. The blue "all over lid" shade (according to their directions) is so sheer that it comes off black. Basically there's hardly any pigment so what looks like a beautiful and obvious blue in the pan comes off as a faded black on the lid or when swatched. The blue is the least shimmery of the three shades, although it still contains noticeable sparkle. The dark gray is the most buttery smooth and promising of all three, but it comes of SO SHEER. When swatched all you can really see is sparkle. Has to be built up layer upon layer to appear gray and has too much shimmer to be a worthwhile crease color, in my opinion.

- The applicator that comes with this trio SUCKS. It's not surprising when an extremely cheap palette comes with an extremely cheap sponge tip applicator, but I wouldn't use this one even in a pinch.

Hmm... that's really all there is to say. I paid no more than $3 for it, so I guess I can't complain. And I can get a pretty look out of it. The colors are easy to blend because they're so sheer. It's just not what I was expecting. I'd recommend Wet N Wild trios over these, which are similarly priced and packaged but of way higher quality, in my opinion.

To Read all 4 Reviews, Login or Join

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I really enjoyed these eyeshadows. The rite aid by my house was doing 30% off all NYC cosmetics, and I went a little crazy, bought three of these trios: central park plums, blues cafe, and skyrise steel. I used the plum pallete today, and I was super impressed by hoe pigmented the colors are. You definitely want a primer under them, but I even need primer under my higher end shadows like urban decay, so that's no biggie. The colors are super pretty, and I think its really cool that they are all labeled: lid, crease, highlight. That's super useful for someone who may not be well versed in applying makeup. Overall, these shadows were pretty well pigmented, blended well, applied smoothly, and have stayed put with primer. I love beauty on a budget, sovi would purchase these again!

on 12/28/2013 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

I received this product in the shade Long Beach Sands in one of those free monthly subscription boxes. Basically it is what you would expect for inexpensive drugstore makeup. Chalky with very little color payoff. The shades are nice and I wish they would work for me, but no. They would be better for someone with little makeup experience who wants to build a collection slowly. Since there isn't color payoff, the sheerness would work well for someone who wants to learn how to blend. I wouldn't recommend this to someone who knows and uses makeup but maybe to a teen just starting out.