Albolene Moisturizing Cleanser

Albolene Moisturizing Cleanser

4.3

Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Paraffin, Ceresin, Beta Carotene

I have very sensitive, dry, but still acne-prone skin. Even though I would love to use something that isn’t petroleum based, (ex. coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, grape seed oil, etc...) my skin doesn’t tolerate “natural oils” very well. Every time I stray from Albolene for a more natural oil, I end up dry, irritated, and full of eruptions! Albolene is my HG, and as long as they keep making it, I will keep purchasing it from now on.

I use this just like many people use Vaseline (which is my fallback if Albolene is unavailable). Albolene is my day cream, night cream, hand and body cream, lip balm, frizz tamer, etc...,but my favorite way to use Albolene is as a cold cream or oil cleanser. Every night, (and morning, although there’s no makeup to remove) I gently rub a teaspoon of Albolene onto my face and neck, giving it time to break down my makeup. I then wet my face and massage it in a little more, wiping my face and neck clean with a wet washcloth. I will then apply a tiny bit of Albolene to my face and neck (it makes a great powder foundation base) and that’s it!

I’m almost 40, and I’ve manged to avoid wrinkles and crows feet thus far, and hope I can keep it that way for at least a little longer by using Albolene. If you are looking for a good oil cleanser or cold cream, I can’t recommend Albolene enough! It’s an incredibly underrated product, that’s very budget friendly.

on 10/26/2018 10:15:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is for the honest to goodness eye makeup remover, not the stuff in the jar. The ingredients are simple, it's a nice thin, gel/cream consistency so it's pumps out just the right amount and it removes waterproof mascara in a trice! It's a bit greasy, but given the ingredients, that shouldn't be surprising. The only real drawback to this is that it's crazy pricey for what it is. Retail is $10- I got mine quite a while back, when it was first being promoted and they had $5 off coupons. I got 2 at half price, and because of the ingredients and the air tight container, they should last almost forever. I like this a lot for tenacious makeup, but don't think it's necessary for my everyday makeup. Good stuff!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have very dry, acne-prone skin and was looking for a good cleanser that wouldn’t make my skin feel like the Sahara desert after washing it. In that sense, Albolene performed beautifully. The Vaseline-like goo melted easily onto my skin, and once I wiped it off with a washcloth, my face did not feel tight at all, but rather smooth and flake-free.

Unfortunately though, Albolene proved a bit too heavy for my skin type. I started developing small pimples and closed comedones, which went away once I discontinued use. I have insanely acne-prone skin though, so take this review with a grain of salt. Otherwise, I really liked this cleanser and sincerely wished it would’ve worked for me.

Effective and affordable makeup remover that does help keep the moisture in. I was nervous about the mineral oil, so asked my dermatologist if this was okay to use. She said she is a fan of the product and has recommended it. I've used it for about a month now, and if anything, my skin is clearer. Thrilled with this product and will repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is such an underrated cleanser. Before you invest in a more expensive balm cleanser, you could do worse than to check this out. For $10, you get a giant (12 oz) tub of this unscented, ointment-like goo. It dissolves and removes makeup quickly and thoroughly (with the help of a wet washcloth), and it does it without leaving your face feeling stripped. Now, you could leave it at that, especially if you have very dry skin, but I prefer to follow this with a second cleanse because this does leave an emollient residue.

I do wish this came in different packaging. I feel like the product is soft enough that it could be packaged in a tube. Tubs are unhygienic anyway, but I especially dislike tubs for products you're dipping into with wet hands. Water collects in them, and that's just gross. I had a tub go off when I was about two-thirds of the way through because of this. The screw top also represents a particular challenge with such a greasy product. My qualms about the tub notwithstanding, I'll repurchase.

on 8/12/2018 9:53:00 AM

This is a great makeup remover and I also use it when dying my very dark hair for protection around the hairline and to remove hair color mishaps .. works awesome.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Amazed at how well this works. A few months ago, my skin did a sudden about-face, and I went from having oily, cystic-acne prone skin to unbelievably dry, red, itchy skin that had the texture of sandpaper. My skin FREAKED if acids or retinoids, previous staples in my routine, were used - an ugly yellow crust would form in areas that were particularly affected. Cleansing oils? Too drying. Cleansing milks removed with a cotton pad? Also too drying.

Albolene was my last resort and I'm astonished at how much it's calmed my skin down within 10 days of usage. I scoop out 1-2 teaspoons every night and massage over a dry face, then remove with a warm wet washcloth. I do my second cleanse with LRP's gentle hydrating cleanser. I wear a full face of makeup every day, and with these two steps, all of it is removed. The mineral oil doesn't seem to be giving me any extra breakouts or CCs - if anything, with sufficient massaging, I occasionally have the satisfaction of feeling 'grits' being removed.

I've FINALLY rid myself of the sandpaper-y texture, and while the redness and dryness aren't completely gone, they are greatly reduced. I'm hoping that with time and persistence, the redness goes away altogether.

EDIT: Still using this 2+ months later. This has become a staple in my routine - my skin is no longer irritated, but this has worked SO well for me that I really don't see myself using anything else as a first cleanse. HG HG HG.

I remembered my mom using this when I was a kid and then kind of forgot about it. Recently I went to Walgreens and spotted it and it brought back so many memories so thought I would give it a try. Oh my goodness! This stuff is really amazing. It literally melts the make up right off. And the bottle lasts for such a long time. Tough make up that usually ends up smudging on my pillow is no challenge. It wipes right off.

I would definitely recommend Albolene!

on 4/21/2018 2:08:00 PM

Sweet mother of holy grail skin care. This is straight up witchcraft. My skin went from a red, splotchy, irritated, bumpy and dehydrated mess to soft, even and glowing within 4 days of use. 4 DAYS!

I've been nursing my skin since a long stint with tretinoin wrecked my moisture barrier. It would get sort of better with lots of asian toners (hydrating) and sheet masks, and squalane oil almost got it back to a nice texture, but nothing worked like Albolene does. I was using Vaseline to remove my makeup and "cleanse" for a while just because any cleanser and washing with water irritated my cheeks, so I thought, "how different could Albolene really be?" Oh, sweet naive, me. It's on a whole other level compared to straight up Vaseline.

And I get it, any kind of "cleanser" that leaves something behind seemed super off-putting to me. Like it was going to break me out or something, but it hasn't. In fact, the opposite occurs. My skin has never been clearer and I noticed a nasty hormonal zit forming on my chin, but I washed with Albolene and overnight it reduced substantially. Seems like it's just going away now.

AND I don't have to use a moisturizer afterwards - like when you strip all the oils off of your skin with cleanser and it cries for lotion? Yeah, that doesn't happen anymore.

From the second I put this on my face, I knew we were meant to be. I will probably always use Albolene. Now and forever. Amen.

on 4/16/2018 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm 46 with very oily and acne-prone skin that is sometimes flakey. Always been terrified of using greasy products on my skin but I started using Banila Clean It Zero with Resveratrol cleansing balm a few months ago and loved how it removed every bit of makeup/sunscreen/oil/dirt. My only complaint was the high price and that I had to order online. I found the reviews for Albolene here on MUA and saw that oily girls with acne liked it, so decided to give it a shot.

Pros:
CHEAP - $7 for 12 oz instead of $23 for 3.3 oz
Picked up at Walmart instead of online ordering
Removes makeup/dirt completely
Only a small amount of product is needed
Unscented and paraben free

Cons:
Heavier petroleum feeling and texture
Doesn't rinse cleanly easilt

I use a cosmetic spatula to scoop out a dime sized amount and massage into dry skin, then use a warm, damp microfiber cloth to remove, then cleanse a second time with Cerave and follow with a witch hazel toner.

It's early days yet, but I'm happy so far. As long as there are no breakouts, I will definitely repurchase.