Albolene cleanser

Albolene cleanser

4.3

Mineral Oil, Petrolatum, Paraffin, Ceresin, Beta Carotene

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I have very dry, acne-prone skin and was looking for a good cleanser that wouldn’t make my skin feel like the Sahara desert after washing it. In that sense, Albolene performed beautifully. The Vaseline-like goo melted easily onto my skin, and once I wiped it off with a washcloth, my face did not feel tight at all, but rather smooth and flake-free.

Unfortunately though, Albolene proved a bit too heavy for my skin type. I started developing small pimples and closed comedones, which went away once I discontinued use. I have insanely acne-prone skin though, so take this review with a grain of salt. Otherwise, I really liked this cleanser and sincerely wished it would’ve worked for me.

Effective and affordable makeup remover that does help keep the moisture in. I was nervous about the mineral oil, so asked my dermatologist if this was okay to use. She said she is a fan of the product and has recommended it. I've used it for about a month now, and if anything, my skin is clearer. Thrilled with this product and will repurchase.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is such an underrated cleanser. Before you invest in a more expensive balm cleanser, you could do worse than to check this out. For $10, you get a giant (12 oz) tub of this unscented, ointment-like goo. It dissolves and removes makeup quickly and thoroughly (with the help of a wet washcloth), and it does it without leaving your face feeling stripped. Now, you could leave it at that, especially if you have very dry skin, but I prefer to follow this with a second cleanse because this does leave an emollient residue.

I do wish this came in different packaging. I feel like the product is soft enough that it could be packaged in a tube. Tubs are unhygienic anyway, but I especially dislike tubs for products you're dipping into with wet hands. Water collects in them, and that's just gross. I had a tub go off when I was about two-thirds of the way through because of this. The screw top also represents a particular challenge with such a greasy product. My qualms about the tub notwithstanding, I'll repurchase.

on 8/12/2018 9:53:00 AM

This is a great makeup remover and I also use it when dying my very dark hair for protection around the hairline and to remove hair color mishaps .. works awesome.

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

Amazed at how well this works. A few months ago, my skin did a sudden about-face, and I went from having oily, cystic-acne prone skin to unbelievably dry, red, itchy skin that had the texture of sandpaper. My skin FREAKED if acids or retinoids, previous staples in my routine, were used - an ugly yellow crust would form in areas that were particularly affected. Cleansing oils? Too drying. Cleansing milks removed with a cotton pad? Also too drying.

Albolene was my last resort and I'm astonished at how much it's calmed my skin down within 10 days of usage. I scoop out 1-2 teaspoons every night and massage over a dry face, then remove with a warm wet washcloth. I do my second cleanse with LRP's gentle hydrating cleanser. I wear a full face of makeup every day, and with these two steps, all of it is removed. The mineral oil doesn't seem to be giving me any extra breakouts or CCs - if anything, with sufficient massaging, I occasionally have the satisfaction of feeling 'grits' being removed.

I've FINALLY rid myself of the sandpaper-y texture, and while the redness and dryness aren't completely gone, they are greatly reduced. I'm hoping that with time and persistence, the redness goes away altogether.

EDIT: Still using this 2+ months later. This has become a staple in my routine - my skin is no longer irritated, but this has worked SO well for me that I really don't see myself using anything else as a first cleanse. HG HG HG.

I remembered my mom using this when I was a kid and then kind of forgot about it. Recently I went to Walgreens and spotted it and it brought back so many memories so thought I would give it a try. Oh my goodness! This stuff is really amazing. It literally melts the make up right off. And the bottle lasts for such a long time. Tough make up that usually ends up smudging on my pillow is no challenge. It wipes right off.

I would definitely recommend Albolene!

on 4/21/2018 2:08:00 PM

Sweet mother of holy grail skin care. This is straight up witchcraft. My skin went from a red, splotchy, irritated, bumpy and dehydrated mess to soft, even and glowing within 4 days of use. 4 DAYS!

I've been nursing my skin since a long stint with tretinoin wrecked my moisture barrier. It would get sort of better with lots of asian toners (hydrating) and sheet masks, and squalane oil almost got it back to a nice texture, but nothing worked like Albolene does. I was using Vaseline to remove my makeup and "cleanse" for a while just because any cleanser and washing with water irritated my cheeks, so I thought, "how different could Albolene really be?" Oh, sweet naive, me. It's on a whole other level compared to straight up Vaseline.

And I get it, any kind of "cleanser" that leaves something behind seemed super off-putting to me. Like it was going to break me out or something, but it hasn't. In fact, the opposite occurs. My skin has never been clearer and I noticed a nasty hormonal zit forming on my chin, but I washed with Albolene and overnight it reduced substantially. Seems like it's just going away now.

AND I don't have to use a moisturizer afterwards - like when you strip all the oils off of your skin with cleanser and it cries for lotion? Yeah, that doesn't happen anymore.

From the second I put this on my face, I knew we were meant to be. I will probably always use Albolene. Now and forever. Amen.

on 4/16/2018 10:36:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm 46 with very oily and acne-prone skin that is sometimes flakey. Always been terrified of using greasy products on my skin but I started using Banila Clean It Zero with Resveratrol cleansing balm a few months ago and loved how it removed every bit of makeup/sunscreen/oil/dirt. My only complaint was the high price and that I had to order online. I found the reviews for Albolene here on MUA and saw that oily girls with acne liked it, so decided to give it a shot.

Pros:
CHEAP - $7 for 12 oz instead of $23 for 3.3 oz
Picked up at Walmart instead of online ordering
Removes makeup/dirt completely
Only a small amount of product is needed
Unscented and paraben free

Cons:
Heavier petroleum feeling and texture
Doesn't rinse cleanly easilt

I use a cosmetic spatula to scoop out a dime sized amount and massage into dry skin, then use a warm, damp microfiber cloth to remove, then cleanse a second time with Cerave and follow with a witch hazel toner.

It's early days yet, but I'm happy so far. As long as there are no breakouts, I will definitely repurchase.

on 4/15/2018 8:01:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Dark, Warm

I love this cleanser for heavy duty makeup removal. I have been trying to make all my skincare products a bit less expensive. Normally I would have purchased Clinique Take the Day Off cleansing balm but I saw this at Wal Mart and went for it. This turns to oil as soon as you rub it into your hands. It takes off my full beat face of Estée Lauder DoubleWear. And keeps my skin well moisturized. I am a convert. No more super expensive balms for no reason.

on 3/27/2018 8:08:00 AM

Bought this last weekend because I've been having a lot of allergy problems. This was before I started to really research products more.

I tried it, it seemed to work well, but the consistency was thick - like vaseline. It felt like I should have just bought vaseline.

This prompted me to search the ingredients, which made me stumble upon the site ewg.org/skindeep. Therein lies a vault of information on every conceivable chemical you could imagine. If you plug in "mineral oil" you'll see there's a low risk for cancer and a low-medium risk, or maybe a trigger for allergies and immunology problems.

Albolene Fragrance Free itself has an overall rank of "1", though it contains petrolatum - which has been banned in other countries, and is ranked a 4 (9 being the worst or most hazardous). I ultimately returned it.

There are a couple of other sites that I'm using now to "check" products before I buy them to be safer and to watch my allergies closer. Right now I have some kind of break out on my face and itchiness on my arms. This is due to a medication I'm on, possibly hormones, seasonal allergies, and maybe diet. I'm trying to to attack from all angles! Anyway, I hope this is helpful for someone.