NARS Pro-Prime Light Optimizing Primer

NARS Pro-Prime Light Optimizing Primer

4.3

on 12/27/2016 2:55:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Well, for me the main expectation from a primer should be to correct the skin a bit and prepare the skin to acept the foundation better. This product did not do any. My skin became even oilier after using this, hence, no prolongation of foundation wear-time. Again a silicone based formula, so the products glides easily but the feeling is not nice, you almost feel the silicone at your fingertips. So with or without the product does not make a difference. The pores are not hidden or covered after use either.

There are tiny shiny sparkles in the product, which seems to be the reason the product is called "light optimising". From a distance it is OK, but with a closer look, you see the sparkles so sort of becomes funny.

All in all, this product does not deliver the value for the price paid.

on 12/11/2016 8:30:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I almost feel sorry for being a party-pooper, but this primer was average at best for me. I don't deny that it's good for a dewy finish, so if that's your aim go for it. However, it didn't make my foundation last longer, and in combination with the NARS radiant creamy concealer was a minor disaster in the summer! Likely because I am a bit oilier in the summer due to heat and humidity, the combo of primer + concealer enhanced my pores and made them very visible. Thankfully this problem didn't occur in the winter, but turns me off from the product nonetheless. To not be completely negative, it should be mentioned that a little goes a long way, and so the primer will last a while.

If you're not too oily and/or are planning to use this in the winter, for a healthy, dewy glow, this would be a decent purchase. Personally I won't be repurchasing.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

LOVE!!! I use the smallest amount of this (less than pea size) and blend across my face with a foundation brush and it gives the most divine glow. When you're nose to nose with your reflection you can see the little speckles of sparkly dust but from a normal distance it just looks like a beautiful golden glow.

This holds foundation nicely and gives the most lovely healthy glow. It could be a bit much with a 'dewy' foundation but gives an extra boost for most foundations.

As always, I like the Nars tube for easy dispensing. It's exxy but worth it for this primer.

My only comment would be that the SPF seems to be a bit of a nonsense. You wouldn't use anywhere near enough of this to impart any sun protection benefits.

on 3/26/2016 10:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This stuff is amazing, and I have tried just about every high end primer on the market. It feels lovely going on and kept my make-up looking flawless all day.

on 12/20/2015 6:15:00 PM

Sephora sent me a sample of this primer over the summer and I was so impressed by it that I bought a full sized version during the last Beauty Insider sale.

The thing that sets this primer apart for me is that it feels great going on. It doesn't have that silicon-heavy texture, but feels more like a serum or lightweight lotion. It seems to melt into skin rather than staying on top. And, unlike every other primer I've tried, this does not break me out at all, even on humid, greasy, sweaty days.

There's a very subtle red and gold shimmer in this product that is not visible on skin. The primer gives a very slight, natural-looking sheen that is quite pretty and healthy-looking. Of course, the effect is neutralized if you apply foundation on top. But since I only wear concealer on troubled spots and some light powder, this works for me.

I've found that this works as well as silicone-heavy primers in keeping my makeup fresh on a normal workday. But it's not really going to be helpful on super warm, sweaty days. In that case, only a makeup setting spray like Skindanavia's is going to keep everything from sliding off.

The price is very high, so I've been using this conservatively. I love the slim, sleek squeeze tube, which is thoughtfully designed to fit into purses and makeup bags without adding bulk. Would repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hands down my favourite primer. It actually does the job of keeping my makeup in place. I had been using Laura Mercier Radiance Primer however I was disappointed as the shimmer was a bit overpowering and I found that makeup didn't stay on as long. I have started re-using this NARS primer and it is so much better. I've tried several primers and for me personally this is the best. It offers a natural shimmer which looks very subtle underneath makeup and the texture is like a light cream. I would definitely recommend for all skin types as the shimmer is very subtle and natural so would be fine on oiler skin types too in my opinion :)

on 2/24/2015 11:02:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

i have oily acne prone skin and initially tried the pore refining primer. However it didn't control my oilier and actually d I don't do much of anything. I got this as a sample and was worried that it would make my oily skin oilier but instead, gave me a glow that made my skin look younger and more vibrant. I haven't had any bad skin reactions to this either. So far i am loving it!

on 2/8/2015 1:00:00 AM

This is a great primer if you want dewy skin. The primer comes out of the tube as a white cream-type substance, but when I spread it on my face, it leaves behind really pretty, subtle red and gold sparkles to give the illusion of sparkling skin. It's not overwhelming at all and it looks wonderful. The primer also helps my makup last 8+ hours. This is worth a try!

on 12/19/2014 12:40:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This pearly, non-mattifying primer is super-lightweight. I only have a sample (right now) so I've been trying to make it last by only using it sometimes. And I notice that people go out of their way to compliment my skin when I wear itóthat never happens when I don't. (I use Maybelline BB Cream as a foundation over the primer, because I like a light, natural look.)

For a long time I used Smashbox primer, in the neutral and the green (red-correcting) formulas. Until I got this little Nars sample I didn't realize how deadening the Smashbox product is. Nars' "radiance enhancing" or "light optimizing" version keeps my skin looking hydrated and glowy without being obvious, glittery, or weird. I have sensitive skin and haven't had any problemsóbut neither do I wear it every day; in any event, I moisturize day and night with Aveeno Clear Complexion moisturizer, to combat my skin's tendency to react to skin products. My skin stays clear as long as I stick to what I know won't break it out.

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This primer is expensive, but makes my Nars SG stay on so much longer and just looks smoother. There is a shimmer like others have mentioned but it disappears.

I use this over a moisturizer because I have dry skin. I have stopped using powder unless I'm getting photos taken, so I needed a primer to make foundation stay on better, since I skip powder. This does that. My sculpting powder, blush, and overall face just looks ultra smooth using this.