Urban Decay NAKED3

Filtered by skin type : Combination
Urban Decay NAKED3

4.1

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have the Naked 1 palette and I picked up the third one 2 years ago. I gravitate towards more rosey and reddish toned palettes as they really suit my wine red hair and light skin with neutral and silvery undertones. I decided to give the Naked line another chance as I felt the original one lacking.

I'm late to the part with this review but thought I put this out here anyway. I usually wear a bit more bolder eye looks so what is subtle to me might not be for you.

A WORD about the now discontinued original Naked palette.
-----------
I've had the original Naked palette for 7 years now. It's propably expired but I don't know. I haven't used it for the longest time and I have only hit the pan on two of the lightest shades. This was the palette that made me go "hmmm" when the beauty gurus were raving about it at the beginning of this decade. I couldn't understand how they were looking past the flaws it had for the price it was sold.

If this palette was launched now, they would have to do the James Charles and keep parroting instructions on how to use it. Instructions for Naked would be as follows: use fingers for better payoff, use only 2 shades, 3 at maximum, to avoid muddying them. Blend ever so gently and as little as possible to avoid fading the shade away or blending them into a mud.

These are the kinda issues that could never fly now at the end of the said decade. I wrote this whole section just to say that I feel vindicated for reading so many reviews and comments from late-comers about these palettes that resonate with my experience. The hype surrounding the Naked palette, and Urban Decay for that matter, is a great example of the Emperor's New Clothes. If it's trendy then it becomes a status item rather than a cosmeti tool.

A reason why I feel so strongly about this issue is that this particular palette made me believe that I'm bad at creating eye looks and it took me a long time to realize that maybe it's the palette that's off and not me and the criteria I have for a good quality product. The hype, whether good or bad, deserved or underserved, easily blinds us from the issues. In the end, we are consumers with a limited purchasing power and we really shouldn't "stan" these brands or make their products as part of our identity.
-----------

NAKED 3 PROS
At least they improved the packaging. The Naked 1 is a velvety nasty mess. Literally. The case of Naked 3's is sturdy yet the material itself feels cheap. The overall look, and the quality of the packaging. complements the shades. The mirror is nice and distortion-free. The brush is a meh.

NAKED 3 CONS
• A lot of fallout. Base needs to be protected or done after eyes.
• Poor staying power even with their own primer, which I most of the time use succesfully with other shadows.
• Poor payoff with brushes. More like a dust of color, which seems to be at the core of this line BUT there's a clear difference between a wash of color and not being able to discern one shade from another.
• This palette seems to be one of those finger palettes. Swatches nicely with fingers or foam applicators but fails to get picked up by both natural and syntethic brushes.
• Easy to overblend. Requires ever so light touch when blending otherwise you either blend the shade away or create e a big muddy mess. I haven't yet come accross another palette that blends to mud so easily if used more than 1 color.
• Too many shimmers, which I find makes the muddying issue even more prevalent. Also, made the palette outdated quite quickly.
• Boring, way too identical shades making the looks too similar. It has only two mattes and not a single pop of color. The colors are in groups of four. You're able to create a wearable and a decent eyelook by picking one color from each group. If you mix up shades from the same group they have a habit of turn into a mud. If you pick one color per group you'll get something wearable but there's not enough variety to create distinct looks. If you turn your palette to it's side so that the light doesn't hit the pans directly, you will get a better idea of the actual shade range, which is butt ugly looking.
• I'm most dissapointed by the darkest shade in the palette called Blackheart. You really need to pack it on your lid to make the champagney shimmer show up on top of the blackish brown. This color also fades really fast and transfers easily.

COMPARISON TO OTHER COMPARABLE PALETTES - these prices are local and meant to give an idea of the difference

BH cosmetic's Glam - 19€ vs 54€
The shades of Naked 3 are creamy but so are the shade's in BH cosmetic's Glam reflection that I'm comparing this palette to. Glam is 60-70% cheaper depending your region. You get 3 more shades, 3x the mattes (6pcs), more distinct shade range, an equal staying power and maybe a bit less fall out. The staying power here is the key. It isn't that good with either of these palettes and that's my point. The Glam gives you hands down, pants up more bang for your buck while it has some issues that are not surprising for the price. Issues it shares with a product that is over 2 times more expensive.

Jeffree Star Blood Sugar - 50€ vs 54€
Blood sugar is at the same price range. And while the colors it has are way more vivid I think this gives a great idea of what my issues are with Urban Decay and their palettes pretty much as a whole. You get 6 more shades, bigger pans, 7x the mattes (14pcs), and disctinct variety of looks from subtle to I'm here to eat your heart out. Almost no fallout at all and easy to blend. There's also less danger to overblend and I haven't created a muddy look, yet. And the staying, and staining, power is from another planet. Also, the packaging is leagues better.

While other makers have up the quality, unfortunately, Urban Decay keeps puting out crappy pallettes as is evident with the Nude Cherry palette.

Naked 3 is overhyped,overpriced and outdated.

on 7/20/2018 12:43:00 PM

I love it- I'm a fan of neutral shades so I love the NAKED palettes. I currently own them all including Smokey and Heat, proving that I am willing to shell out the $ for such a great product. The diversity of these rosy colors make it easy to create different looks. I like to mix and match with my other NAKED palettes too. The cosistancy is smooth, pigminted and has great staying power- especially when paired with UD primer potions. The brush included in each palette is also very good. These shadows are worth every penny!

on 3/13/2018 3:17:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm genuinely at a loss of words to describe how disappointing this palette is, especially compared to the price point. What looks like a gorgeous palette of rosy creams, pinks, and browns looks like chalky, murky dirt on my skin. No amount of primer has been able to remedy the amount of fall out all of the colors have. Cheap and high-end brushes alike cannot blend it. I was so excited when I bought this, and now I feel like $50 worth of stupid. I bought this and got the Naked Heat palette as a gift, and while the latter is SLIGHTLY better and has a few shades that aren't letdowns, I'm soured entirely on UD eyeshadows. Nice packaging, and the dual-end brush it comes with is nice, but I didn't buy this for the packaging or the brush. Alas.

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

My first highend eyeshadow palette
I remember how I freaking out when I purchase this, because it’s so expensive for me, so this palette have a special place in my heart

Back in the day, the hype of the naked series is so high
As a confused newbie in Makeup world, I end up buy this and choose the newest one.

Colour selection is good imo, most of them are neutral and wearable for daily use.

As for now, because I already own other palettes, I think this palette is not that good, it’s so so.

I don’t know about the other naked series, but I don’t think I will buy any naked series anymore since there are lots of eyeshadow palette out there.

on 10/4/2017 7:36:00 PM

I’ve owned all three Naked palettes for years and sadly today is when I realized they actually kinda suck. Lots of fallout and terrible pigment. They also don’t blend well. {sad face}

on 8/30/2017 5:49:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I wanted so badly to love this. I have green eyes. The ideal palette. No. The pigment is not great. Shimmers don't stick well. Disappointed.

PRO: - beautiful shades - cool packaging - brush is excellent NEUTRAL: - not all shades are well pigmented (the extreme shimmer shades are hardly recognizable on eyes) CON: - don't last long, even with several good primers/bases - expensive as f*** I used this palette after a long time again and now I understand why not all people are impressed with this palette. No matter how I blend or apply the colors, the end result looks muddy, as I would have used low-quality products. So, I'm sorry, UD. I guess this will be the only piece of Naked 3 which I will ever possess.

on 7/27/2017 1:09:00 AM

This one was a true disappointment for me. I had hoped for so long that a warm pink palette would come out and when I saw this I had to have it. The colours are beautiful and right up my alley. You can create a variety of looks that are gorgeous if you have a particular skin tone and/or eye colour.

I am olive toned and bit too yellow for this palette. I find on me it leans cool to neutral and this makes me look washed out. I didn't believe UD would ever release a warm palette (until the recent Naked Heat). But I've been burnt twice with this line and can't bring myself to buy another. I would still use this palette if the colours popped or were pigmented on my skin tone but I find they just look so dull and don't have deep enough crease shades.

Don't really know what to do. I have two UD palettes I don't use and can't give away or sell.

on 7/16/2017 8:40:00 AM

This was my first high end palette. I'm not impressed with the quality of this one. There is too much fallout and most of the shades aren't as pigmented or buttery as I expected. It is cute and the colours are flattering on my fair skin, but it's totally not worth the price. Also, I find it weird that there is only one clearly warm toned shade (trick) and nothing to pair with it. A darker matte colour would also be useful for the crease.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

I am fair with blue eyes and I find this palette to be super-flattering. It is a good every day palette that makes neutral looks easy, but it can be smoked up for more dramatic looks as well. Like most other palettes, some of the shades are better than others. Dust is really pretty in the pan, but I find it hard to work with and I think it's the weakest shade in the palette. Liar, Nooner, and Mugshot are the ones that I like the best. The mattes are all very nice and blend well. Urban Decay shadows wear very well on me with a primer, and this is no exception. I also like that this is the first UD Naked palette that doesn't have any repromote shades in it, because IMHO that makes it more worth owning if you already have a large eyeshadow palette collection. The packaging is nice, and the fluffy end of the brush that is included is nice for blending out shadows.