Urban Decay NAKED3

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Urban Decay NAKED3

4.1

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have the Naked 1 palette and I picked up the third one 2 years ago. I gravitate towards more rosey and reddish toned palettes as they really suit my wine red hair and light skin with neutral and silvery undertones. I decided to give the Naked line another chance as I felt the original one lacking.

I'm late to the part with this review but thought I put this out here anyway. I usually wear a bit more bolder eye looks so what is subtle to me might not be for you.

A WORD about the now discontinued original Naked palette.
-----------
I've had the original Naked palette for 7 years now. It's propably expired but I don't know. I haven't used it for the longest time and I have only hit the pan on two of the lightest shades. This was the palette that made me go "hmmm" when the beauty gurus were raving about it at the beginning of this decade. I couldn't understand how they were looking past the flaws it had for the price it was sold.

If this palette was launched now, they would have to do the James Charles and keep parroting instructions on how to use it. Instructions for Naked would be as follows: use fingers for better payoff, use only 2 shades, 3 at maximum, to avoid muddying them. Blend ever so gently and as little as possible to avoid fading the shade away or blending them into a mud.

These are the kinda issues that could never fly now at the end of the said decade. I wrote this whole section just to say that I feel vindicated for reading so many reviews and comments from late-comers about these palettes that resonate with my experience. The hype surrounding the Naked palette, and Urban Decay for that matter, is a great example of the Emperor's New Clothes. If it's trendy then it becomes a status item rather than a cosmeti tool.

A reason why I feel so strongly about this issue is that this particular palette made me believe that I'm bad at creating eye looks and it took me a long time to realize that maybe it's the palette that's off and not me and the criteria I have for a good quality product. The hype, whether good or bad, deserved or underserved, easily blinds us from the issues. In the end, we are consumers with a limited purchasing power and we really shouldn't "stan" these brands or make their products as part of our identity.
-----------

NAKED 3 PROS
At least they improved the packaging. The Naked 1 is a velvety nasty mess. Literally. The case of Naked 3's is sturdy yet the material itself feels cheap. The overall look, and the quality of the packaging. complements the shades. The mirror is nice and distortion-free. The brush is a meh.

NAKED 3 CONS
• A lot of fallout. Base needs to be protected or done after eyes.
• Poor staying power even with their own primer, which I most of the time use succesfully with other shadows.
• Poor payoff with brushes. More like a dust of color, which seems to be at the core of this line BUT there's a clear difference between a wash of color and not being able to discern one shade from another.
• This palette seems to be one of those finger palettes. Swatches nicely with fingers or foam applicators but fails to get picked up by both natural and syntethic brushes.
• Easy to overblend. Requires ever so light touch when blending otherwise you either blend the shade away or create e a big muddy mess. I haven't yet come accross another palette that blends to mud so easily if used more than 1 color.
• Too many shimmers, which I find makes the muddying issue even more prevalent. Also, made the palette outdated quite quickly.
• Boring, way too identical shades making the looks too similar. It has only two mattes and not a single pop of color. The colors are in groups of four. You're able to create a wearable and a decent eyelook by picking one color from each group. If you mix up shades from the same group they have a habit of turn into a mud. If you pick one color per group you'll get something wearable but there's not enough variety to create distinct looks. If you turn your palette to it's side so that the light doesn't hit the pans directly, you will get a better idea of the actual shade range, which is butt ugly looking.
• I'm most dissapointed by the darkest shade in the palette called Blackheart. You really need to pack it on your lid to make the champagney shimmer show up on top of the blackish brown. This color also fades really fast and transfers easily.

COMPARISON TO OTHER COMPARABLE PALETTES - these prices are local and meant to give an idea of the difference

BH cosmetic's Glam - 19€ vs 54€
The shades of Naked 3 are creamy but so are the shade's in BH cosmetic's Glam reflection that I'm comparing this palette to. Glam is 60-70% cheaper depending your region. You get 3 more shades, 3x the mattes (6pcs), more distinct shade range, an equal staying power and maybe a bit less fall out. The staying power here is the key. It isn't that good with either of these palettes and that's my point. The Glam gives you hands down, pants up more bang for your buck while it has some issues that are not surprising for the price. Issues it shares with a product that is over 2 times more expensive.

Jeffree Star Blood Sugar - 50€ vs 54€
Blood sugar is at the same price range. And while the colors it has are way more vivid I think this gives a great idea of what my issues are with Urban Decay and their palettes pretty much as a whole. You get 6 more shades, bigger pans, 7x the mattes (14pcs), and disctinct variety of looks from subtle to I'm here to eat your heart out. Almost no fallout at all and easy to blend. There's also less danger to overblend and I haven't created a muddy look, yet. And the staying, and staining, power is from another planet. Also, the packaging is leagues better.

While other makers have up the quality, unfortunately, Urban Decay keeps puting out crappy pallettes as is evident with the Nude Cherry palette.

Naked 3 is overhyped,overpriced and outdated.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I’m absolutely in love with all the UD naked palettes. This one is particularly a favorite because it works well with my super cool toned skin. I’m really pink and these actually look like nude eyeshadow for once!! The shadows go on hyperpigmented and buttery smooth. You don’t need to use much. The brush included is actually perfect for the eyeshadows. They don’t crease, very little fallout, and they last all day without fading. I think they’re completely worth the money.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is my go to everyday palette. I literally always keep a back up Incase I ever lose or run out. The palette itself is so sturdy and beautiful. The shades are all gorgeous useable & so buttery & blendable. It has everything you need it has lots of transition shades & crease shades & kid shades. It has a range of finishes from mattes to satin to glitter/ foiled shades. I find dust & buzz apply better with a little Fix+ sprayed onto your brush. This is the first palette I’ve ever owned of which I will certainly use every single shade. Most palettes there’s always I few I dislike. The brush included is lovely though you will also need a fluffy blending brush for the crease. I have dropped this palette on my stone floor twice & it survived without any damage whatsoever I literally couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t ever be without this palette.
Pro’s
Beautiful sturdy packaging
Stunning shades
Fab range of finishes
Can achieve many full looks
Great value for money
Great quality mirror
Nice usable brush
Great for everyday

Con’s
Absolutely addictive I will re purchase again & again

on 5/19/2018 5:52:00 PM

Naked 3 is my favorite Naked palette in the series. If you are fair or of light complexion and love soft romantic eye looks this palette is definitely for you. I've created some beautiful eye looks with this palette and I feel like the matte shades are a fair girl or guy's best friend when it comes to transition colors. If you are of deeper skin tone, I would probably pass on this one. My only issue with the palette is there are 3 shades toward the right-end of the palette that are kind of repetitive and similar in tone. When I first purchased this palette I was blown away with the quality, pigmentation, and performance of the shades and the overall formula performed a lot better than the previous two naked palettes. I have had this palette for a little over 3 years and have noticed that the shades don't perform as well as they use to and are not as pigmented as when I first purchased. This could be due to the age of my palette so please keep in mind that if you do want to purchase this, I have found that the optimal time frame for it's quality is really only around two years. After that, the eye shadow quality seems to disintegrate which is such a shame because I did love the palette when it was newer to me. I still pull this palette out and use it from time to time because even though I'm not as satisfied with it as I once was I don't want to waste my money and I still think 3 years for an eye shadow is not quite old enough to warrant getting rid of it completely. The shelf-life of this is something I definitely wanted to mention but overall, it's a very beautiful and wearable palette.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

I've really fallen in love with this palette!! It's become my daily go to. My favorite color is buzz and I wear it almost daily. The mattes in this palette are wonderful and blend really nicely. They are packed pretty tightly so they will last me forever. Blackheart and Dust (appropriately named) are the most powdery of the bunch. They have soooooo much kickback and fallout it's absolutely ridiculous. I've already hit pan on blackheart after owning it for 2 weeks!! I use it every day as an eyeliner. These are my colors and they suit me well however, they do look very similar on the eye. I'm on my 2nd one and I really enjoy this palette.

Pros:
very pigmented
a lot of product included
brush included is nice (if it doesn't fall apart on you, the one from my first palette did break)
color scheme is nice for everyday wear

Cons:
blackheart and dust are super powdery
shimmers can be hard to blend
colors look very similar on the eye
some shades can be chalky but workable

For $54 I really like it but there are many dupes for it and you wont have to spend a fortune on it. I'm actually considering returning mine because I did get the silk naturals dupe and I'm loving it even more. Makeup revolution iconic pro 3 is also very similar.

on 3/13/2018 3:17:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm genuinely at a loss of words to describe how disappointing this palette is, especially compared to the price point. What looks like a gorgeous palette of rosy creams, pinks, and browns looks like chalky, murky dirt on my skin. No amount of primer has been able to remedy the amount of fall out all of the colors have. Cheap and high-end brushes alike cannot blend it. I was so excited when I bought this, and now I feel like $50 worth of stupid. I bought this and got the Naked Heat palette as a gift, and while the latter is SLIGHTLY better and has a few shades that aren't letdowns, I'm soured entirely on UD eyeshadows. Nice packaging, and the dual-end brush it comes with is nice, but I didn't buy this for the packaging or the brush. Alas.

on 1/28/2018 3:41:00 AM

Absolutely beautiful colours, beautiful packaging and the brush is aamaaazing. Very pigmented and lasts all day! I’ve taken off a lippie because personally I found this palette to have a lot of fall-out so it kind of goes everywhere when you are applying it. I also always find glitter all down my face and under my eyes when I’ve been wearing it so the fall-out continues through the day. Did not experience this at all with the first two Naked palettes!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I got this for my birthday (I'm very lucky in that my friends gift me a lot of make up for birthdays and Christmas)
It's a lovely palette consisting of pink and purple shades. Some people think pink on the eyes makes them look sickly or allergic, but I think the shades are beautiful. There's a mix of mattes, satins and shimmers which are all beautiful. The shimmers do fall down a little, so save concealing and finishing the under eye area until after you've finished your eye make up.
I think the pigmentation is fantastic on most of the shades.

I probably would repurchase this palette, although i think it's going to last me years!!!

on 10/4/2017 7:36:00 PM

I’ve owned all three Naked palettes for years and sadly today is when I realized they actually kinda suck. Lots of fallout and terrible pigment. They also don’t blend well. {sad face}

on 8/30/2017 5:49:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I wanted so badly to love this. I have green eyes. The ideal palette. No. The pigment is not great. Shimmers don't stick well. Disappointed.