Urban Decay NAKED3

Urban Decay NAKED3

4.1

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

Your satisfaction with this product will highly depend on what you're after. It seems that there are not only double high expectations, but triple, based on this being the third NAKED palette. I will be rating this based in and of itself, and not as a product intended to outshine and surpass the previous naked palettes with flying colors, as it's just not fair to do that.

________________________________________________________________________

My daily/usual makeup consists of two different looks - one is using pinky/peach eyeshadow and highlighter with a thick black eyeliner, and the other (more rushed days) is using a coppery brown eyeshadow without eyeliner. Because I tend to look for coppery gold eyeshadows to create this look, I was looking forward to this palette because it contains colors in that family of shades. Using darker/coppery/bronze eyeshadows I am able to create definition without eyeliner, and use them all over the lid, as well as to create that outer 'V' shape with the single eyeshadow. I find this works for me.

________________________________________________________________________
Having said that, this palette contains colors that I do enjoy. Basic rundown:

[+] Strange: creamy beige (matte)
[+] Dust: Sparkly peachy gold - many have mentioned the tendency for fallout and its true that this shade doesn't really "stick" like the others. I have noticed this in similar UD shades, and I can sort of remedy this by using a sponge tip applicator instead. Works fine for me (glitter)
[+] Burnout, Buzz, and Trick : these will be the "rose gold" shades of the set. Shimmery and smooth. Trick reminds me of "half baked" but is more copper than gold.
[+] Limit: a creamy coffee color (matte)
[+] Nooner: similar to "Limit" but darker - basically the color of chocolate milk (matte)
[+] Liar: basically "Toasted"
[+] Factory: basically "Smog"
[+] Darkside: like "Darkhorse"
[+] Blackheart: I was expecting this to be like "Vex" from MAC, with a purple undertone, but its almost just a darker shade of "Darkside"
[+] Mugshot: basically the same shade as another UD shadow from Naked 1 that I don't know the name of.

_____________________________________________________________________

I don't mean any disrespect, but it seems like because of all the hype of this product, a lot of people seem to be looking for a reason to dislike it or are searching from something bad to say about it. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and different people will like different things. So have your own preferences for eyeshadow in mind when wondering if you should purchase this or not. I wouldn't purchase one of the UD palettes with bright blue, pink, green and orange, then say I don't like the colors - I simply wouldn't purchase it because I don't really use those colors.

______________________________________________________________________

PIGMENTATION: excellent except for "Dust" (with its fallout) and "Limit" went on less intense than the other shades.

WEAR: typical of UD shadows. I should mention I never really have a problem with eyeshadow fading because when I do my concealer I always apply it to the lid as well, and this acts as a primer/base. I use a heavy coverage concealer with foundation underneath and powder on top.

PRICE: as you would expect. it's partially justifiable because they do include a good quality double-ended brush.

LOOKS: as mentioned, you can create a smokey look using just 1 of a few of the shades. You could also create a bronze smokey eye - different ones in fact. You could also do nude/natural looks. Because I mentioned my tendency towards bronze eyeshadows, I know I will probably use all of the included colors. I can imagine day and night looks, as well as everything in between.

OTHER COLORS I TEND TOWARDS: MAC Amber Lights, Lancome Color Design in Pose, Estee Lauder in Copper Penny, L'Oreal Wear Infinite in Gilded Bronze - this may help you decide if you will also like these colors or not

______________________________________________________________________

In conclusion, this would make a good addition to anyone's makeup collection, including those who already own one or both of the previous Naked Palettes. As with all cosmetic purchases, you know what types of products you use, and we cannot fault a product when we don't like those colors to begin with.

For reference I am NC42/C6, Revlon CS in Golden Caramel, Sephora Tan D35, Sephora Color IQ #1Y09

on 11/28/2013 4:05:00 AM

I own both Naked 1 and 2 palettes, and I can see myself reaching for this rose-gold themed Naked 3 palette far more often! I was hesitant to buy it at first, thinking that the colors were too light/pink for my warm/medium/yellow-undertoned complexion, but I was wrong! Another thing I love about this palette is that the color family is distinctively different from the previous Naked 1 & 2 palettes. Even my husband could tell the difference when I showed him them side by side. (He thought Naked 1&2 were the same colors rearranged).

(Overall impression compared to the other Nakeds:) To me, Naked1 felt very summery/bronzey. Naked2 felt more cool-toned and suitable for professional settings. Naked3 feels also suitable for work/school; however, it's flushed rose/brown theme make it unique from the other two.... more romantic, feminine, and beautiful colors overall. So overall, I think I prefer Naked3 to the other two.

PROS:
-PACKAGING: So beautiful, sturdy, slender, and smooth. I am a palette junkie, and the packaging for Naked3 is simply superb, elegant, and beautiful with those gold "Naked3" letters glimmering up at you from a rosey golden case. Hands down, this is the most gorgeous palette casing I have come across!
-HUES: I really like how the pink/brown theme looks on my skin tone. As mentioned above, I was hesitant to get this thinking the colors wouldn't show up much on my skin, or that the pinks would be unflattering on my warm skin. But these colors do work well on warmer toned ladies, too. The "pinkness" comes on subtle, not too strong/overpowering... giving a more "flushed" side to the "naked look".
-BRUSH: Just like the double-ended brush that came with Naked2, the double-ended brush that comes with naked3 is very soft, sturdy, and high-quality. One "fluffy" side is ideal for blending/shading the crease. The other side is smaller, flatter, and ideal for lining and everything else.
-MATTES: I am in love with the 3 purely matte shades: Strange, Limit, and Nooner. Strange is a matte white, ideal for highlighting the browbone; Limit is a rosey matte, and Nooner is like a slightly darker version of Limit with some brown. Nooner is also quite similar to Tease from Naked2, but it's slightly pinker. Nooner is my new favorite crease shade.

CONS:
-The shade "Dust" (2nd shade from the left) is exactly as its name states: like dust. While it's a beautiful shade, the consistency is very dry/chunky/glittery and won't adhere to the lids at all, even with primer. There is also crazy fall-out with this one.

OTHER SIDE NOTES:
-Aside from Dust, the rest of these shades had decent pigmentation and consistency. These shadows are good quality, but they aren't as pigmented and buttery as my Lorac Pro palette. I love my Lorac Pro palette like crazy, but I hate its packaging.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm going to give it to you straight. It's not as good as it should be. I'd personally go with the Lorac Unzipped palette, which has stunning rose gold shades that are soft, pigmented, and have next to zero fallout. It also has a 95% buy again rating, while this one is currently at 75%. Too many of these shades have so much fallout, 'Dust' was an appropriate name. They should have stayed with Naked 1 & 2 and took longer to debut this palette. It's one of those flanker palettes that is expensive crap compared to the original. UD will not listen to customers and give an equal amount of mattes and shimmers, and the case feels cheap (it breaks easily). This palette is all over Youtube and blogs, but do not buy into the hype and buy it without swatching. A lot of those people had it sent to them for free.

on 12/13/2013 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

A huge disappointment with the naked 3 palette. There was a lot of fall out with the shimmery colours and the lighter neutral ones did not show up on my skin tone. I was sad to see them package naked 3 the same way as they did with naked 2. The metal box doesn't look too classy and spoils easily. The colours were all exclusive which was not good news to me because I tend to use up my favourite colours first and would want to repurchase. The only redeeming factor in this palette was the darker shades at the other end of the palette. They were gorgeous and had good pigmentation as well. Blends easily but the point is kinda defeated with such horrible lighter shades in the palette. I'd recommend naked 1 instead of this.

on 2/22/2014 1:20:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I have all the other Nakeds (1,2 and Naked Basics) as well as a few different palettes and other make-up from UD. I LOVE them all, and couldn't wait to try Naked 3.

Unfortunately, it was disappointing. I really wanted to love this, but I have to be honest, it's not the best thing from UD. The colours, for the most part, are quite beautiful in the pan and look very wearable. I really liked Limit, Nooner and Mugshot and Darkside, which seemed to have decent pigmentation. However, when I use my brush to pick up colour - there is way more fall-out and the shadows are almost crumbly when compared to my other UD eyeshadows. Dust, a pale pink glittery shade, is definitely the worst, very sheer patchy application - also it makes a huge mess and flies all over my bathroom counter, sink, mirror - pretty much sticks to anything but skin. The also don't have the usual punch I am used to with UD, pigmentation-wise some are very sheer (ex: Trick was so sheer even on my light NC20 skin - did not look anything like the shade in the pan), even the darker colours, and I had to apply about 3-4 layers to get a smoky eye, whereas with my Naked 1 or 2, I would use one layer and it really packed on colour, no need for repeated layering. I don't have the time to stand in front of my mirror for 20 minutes layering on one colour before work, to me that unacceptable for a higher-end brand. They don't blend as well either, a few I applied were so sheer after some light blending I could barely see it. Some I couldn't even tell I had on any eyeshadow. When I used a few shades together they all looked the same and blended into one shade which looked horrible - and this never happened with my other Nakeds. I would use 3-4 different shades and you could see they were different and pigmented enough not to look like mud on my eyelids. Another thing I noticed is the texture is different from my other UD shadows and the lasting power isn't good anymore. They felt drier and after a few hours my eyeshadow had to be touched up, whereas before I'd put on my UD eyeshadows and even on days where I fell asleep with make-up on (yuck, I know), the shades would still be going strong by the time I woke up, and this being after 8ish or so hours of sleep and mashing my face into a pillow. Even with various primers, the Naked 3's lasting power just isn't impressive.

While I don't think this palette is terrible by any means, it is just not as good as other the other Nakeds and UD shadows. I don't think it's worth the price, and as a person who owns a ton of make-up, I feel there is no reason for me to keep something mediocre around and have it simply taking up precious space. My expectations are realistic and I know with any eyeshadow, especially shimmer/glitter, some fall-out is to be expected, as is some fading, creasing etc. But, again, I have a lot of products, and many outpace this by miles, like my Lorac palettes. I don't want just any product, if I add it to my collection it should be outstanding.

It kills me to say this, but I think this palette is over-hyped and the quality just isn't the same. I have no idea if they changed the formula or something went wrong here but whatever it is, hopefully their other products will not follow suit. Had to return this, and I don't miss it at all.

on 12/18/2013 10:29:00 AM

Really disappointed. I was sooo excited to get this in the mail. I swatched it first on my arm, could barely see the colors. I used my MAC packing brush. It's hard to explain, but as I tried to pick up color, there were little balls that formed. Anyways, I have now tried probably 8/12 colors, and found all to be really really poor quality. I was hoping for some good lid colors. I am pretty pale and I thought the first half of the palette would be beautiful. I used MAC paint pot underneath, and the colors I tried didn't even make it through the work day. Overall, very similar to drug store brand products. In my opinion, based on my limited UD experience, their eyeshadows don't deserve to be even compared with MAC eyeshadows. Can't wait to take this back to the store and get my money back. I (should) have the perfect complexion for these shades, but honestly, if I can advise anybody who is used to MAC eyeshadows, don't waste your money and time on this!

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I liked a few of the darker shades but the rest didn't show up on my pale skin. I noticed a lot more fallout from this set than other UD sets. Maybe they are trying a new formula. Save your money.

EDIT 1/4/17: It's nice, it really is. But I don't use it nearly as much anymore. I'm tired of pink.
EDIT 12/31/15: This is still my favorite palette and I keep coming back to it!

Growing up, I wore a lot of pink. I'd had a brief spell of obsessing over Winnie-the-Pooh yellow, and decidedly refused to wear anything except black for most of my middle school career, but now I'm coming full circle and falling in love with rosy tones all over again. And it's worth it.

On my cool-olive NC30 skin, I do typically prefer cooler or neutral tones in my makeup, which ruled Naked 1 out of the equation instantly as I don't see myself using it enough to justify the purchase, but even Naked 2 ended up being a shimmery, muddy mess -- and it lacked a true rosy taupe.

This being said, Naked 3 also works on my warm-toned NC25 friend, so it transcends skin undertones as well. However, it might seem off to wear pink on super yellow or warm-olive skin.

Naked 3's packaging is absolutely gorgeous: I'm a big fan of the sturdy snap-shut aluminum case, and the pink color scheme along with the imitation satin design exudes romance like no other. The synthetic dual-ended brush included is also very nice for precise application or detailed crease work, though it can also work for concealer. I'd be lying if I said the packaging wasn't the reason I'd wanted this so much in the first place, but now that I own it, Naked 3 might become my everyday, go-to palette for eyeshadow, and -- dare I say it? -- my Holy Grail, desert island palette.

The shades are all pink-based, though it doesn't come off as pink on my lids. I'd say that Naked 3 isn't entirely cool, but more of a neutral-to-cool in the grand scheme of things. To me, the first half of the palette seems cooler (with the exception of Trick), while the darker half (excluding Liar) pulls more neutral.

Dust is actually one of my favorite shades; it IS usable and makes a nice sort of glitter topper if you want to go through the trouble of wetting your brush, carefully packing on a little at a time, and cleaning up fallout. I do get lazy and just pack it on top with my dry finger and it works fine, but fades. Overall, don't expect this to be an opaque, metallic glitter.

- STRANGE (matte) is a very pale baby pink. It makes a really nice browbone highlight, and is fairly pigmented, but seems to pull a tiny bit darker if it's not packed on.

- DUST (glitter) is a seashell pink. This reminds me of a fairy dust necklace I'd bought ages ago that was just a tiny bottle filled with glitter. This is basically the same thing, but probably safer for your eyelids.

- BURNOUT (satin) is a light pink with a hint of peach. It's a nice allover lid shade, especially for the daytime, and might make a nice highlight for deeper skin.

- LIMIT (matte) is a pinkish tan. This works great as a transition shade for blending, or if you want a matte lid shade.

- BUZZ (shimmer) is the truest rose color in the palette. At first I was wary of this being too pink, but it actually looks really pretty on, and on my skin tone seems a little more subdued than I've seen on others.

- TRICK (shimmer) is a peachy, rose-gold shade that pairs perfectly with the other colors in the palette. When first swatched, it's rather disappointing and unpigmented, but I scraped off the first layer and now it translates much more beautifully. My favorite shade.

- NOONER (matte) is the rosy taupe of my dreams, perfect for softly deepening the crease. When sheered out, it can also be used as a transition shade.

- LIAR (satin) is a pinkish taupe that leans more on the rosy side than gray. It's very similar to Buzz, except it has less pink. It's just neutral enough but still has enough interest to classify it as pink.

- FACTORY (satin) is a brown with rose undertones. It's very similar to Mugshot, and is nice to pack on the outer half of the lid or to softly deepen the crease.

- MUGSHOT (satin) is a taupe with rose undertones. It's a little darker than Liar, but lighter than Factory. My most used lid shade in the palette.

- DARKSIDE (satin) is a deep grayish plum that works well for smoky looks without being overwhelmingly dark. It's one of the more subdued shades, and one you'll have to layer. The texture reminds me of Snakebite from Naked 2, which I didn't like then and I like even less now. My least favorite shade, but one I still use a lot.

- BLACKHEART (matte with rose microglitter) is an aptly named -- it even says so on the box -- and highly pigmented blackened burgundy. The shimmers don't create much fallout, but don't expect the color you see in the pan unless you pack it on with a wet brush. That being said, the glitter keeps it from being a flat black and gives deepening the outer crease a lot of dimension.

I do own the Wet 'n' Wild limited edition palette in Smoke and Melrose, which contains about two or three dupes for some of the shades. If you managed to get your hands on this drugstore beauty, but aren't sure if you should pick up the Urban Decay (aka the expensive) version, I say that if you really enjoy the colors, then you should. I don't think Smoke and Melrose is a complete alternative to Naked 3; rather, it's a nice little companion palette (especially if you're a big fan of Limit, Factory, and Trick).

If I lost or ran out of this palette, I'd purchase it again in under a heartbeat. I'm addicted.

on 12/29/2013 3:29:00 PM

I'm sure this is going to get a billion positive reviews on here but I've got to be honest: MEH.

I have Naked 1 and I lovelovelove it. I like a little shimmer and warm tones and lighter colors rather than deep or smoky. So I thought Naked 3 was going to be my dream palette. I was SO excited to get it that I couldn't even wait until it was in store to swatch it - like I did with N2, which made me realize I didn't want it - and that may have been a mistake.

First of all, I do like the look and feel of the tin case, with its pretty rose gold exterior and gold writing. But it's sort of a bitch to open! The latches are not smooth to close or open and you have to tug at each side separately to get it open. Although the velvet case for N1 wasn't ideal for lasting without getting messed up, at least it opened without issue.

Secondly, the included good karma brush sucks. The fluffy, slightly angled side is good for blending but not for the crease - it's too big. The synthetic, flat shading side sucks at picking up much shadow at all, but it does create a bunch of shadow crumbs (read=waste/mess).
And the included primer - which I have never used or cared about but I know a lot of people swear by - is much chintzier with this. Instead of a deluxe sample size, it's four single use sample cards of their different primer varieties. Lame.

Finally, the shadows themselves. The palette looks so gorgeous in UD's press pictures right? But don't be deceived. This palette reminds me a lot of the NYX Caviar & Bubbles palette in that the shades look different in the pan but are damn near indiscernable on. They are so close in color that they all just blend together. And despite the fact that it's a rose gold palette, the only looks I've been able to create with it come up gray-purple smokey, somehow. Pretty, sure, but not what I expected. Dust looks gorgeous in pan but has chunky glitter and not much color payoff on. Burnout is a pretty shimmer, as are Buzz and Trick, but their pigmentation is not as strong as similar UD shimmer shadows, like Half-Baked or Smog. Nooner is a pretty matte but again, not amazingly pigmented and even a little chalky. Liar, Factory and Mugshot are all pretty grayish-brownish metallics but on you can't even tell the difference between them. Blackheart, which sounds intimidating ("black with red glitter") is one of the prettiest, most distinctive shades that goes on a as a soft charcoal with a hint of shimmer. (I have not yet used Strange or Darkside). Furthermore, all of these have fallout issues! I end up with the eyeshadow all over my face, whether I use a primer underneath, apply with a brush or finger, whatever. The shades are not as pigmented or densely compacted as I came to expect based on my experience with N1.

So, just IMHO, this isn't worth the money. The quality is lacking, the colors are really similar and it's just overall not living up to the hype.

I just picked up Naked 3 and have to admit that I'm not loving it quite as much as I thought I would. Have very fair skin and blue eyes and the shades themselves are just perfect for my complexion but for the first time ever I am having trouble with pigmentation and fallout regarding UD shades. I have Naked 1 and 2 and those have a lot more dark and intense colors, whereas these are all very romantic and muted.

First off, I love the tin design and the brush is great. Two dense sides, one for accurate placement and one larger side for blending or allover color. This is a very sturdy portable palette and I feel safe putting it in my purse for travel.

The shades are all very lovely and range in the rose gold range. They really are perfect for those with fair skin - on darker complexions I feel like a lot of these shades won't show up as well. They just don't seem as pigmented to me as most UD shades are. I had to apply several layers of color to get the pigmentation I wanted even with a great primer underneath. Dust is my least favorite - it's aptly named and kind of goes everywhere. It does work as a highlighter shade though, but if you use it with matte shades like Limit and Nooner the glitter falls on top. Some of the shades I had more fallout than I'm used to with, even after lightly blowing or tapping on the brush after picking up the shadow.

Overall I love the colors and the eyeshadows are for the most part creamy and blendable so the formula itself is up to par. I'm going to continue using it to see if I get better results with different primers. I think this will be a good palette to grab if I'm late for work and don't have time to do a full eye but want a quick and easy wash of color. These are very office appropriate which makes it a good palette for those that want that muted "Naked" look. I just wish that the colors were more pigmented and didn't sheer out so easily, but maybe I got a dud.