Urban Decay NAKED3

Urban Decay NAKED3

4.1

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

I have the Naked 1 palette and I picked up the third one 2 years ago. I gravitate towards more rosey and reddish toned palettes as they really suit my wine red hair and light skin with neutral and silvery undertones. I decided to give the Naked line another chance as I felt the original one lacking.

I'm late to the part with this review but thought I put this out here anyway. I usually wear a bit more bolder eye looks so what is subtle to me might not be for you.

A WORD about the now discontinued original Naked palette.
-----------
I've had the original Naked palette for 7 years now. It's propably expired but I don't know. I haven't used it for the longest time and I have only hit the pan on two of the lightest shades. This was the palette that made me go "hmmm" when the beauty gurus were raving about it at the beginning of this decade. I couldn't understand how they were looking past the flaws it had for the price it was sold.

If this palette was launched now, they would have to do the James Charles and keep parroting instructions on how to use it. Instructions for Naked would be as follows: use fingers for better payoff, use only 2 shades, 3 at maximum, to avoid muddying them. Blend ever so gently and as little as possible to avoid fading the shade away or blending them into a mud.

These are the kinda issues that could never fly now at the end of the said decade. I wrote this whole section just to say that I feel vindicated for reading so many reviews and comments from late-comers about these palettes that resonate with my experience. The hype surrounding the Naked palette, and Urban Decay for that matter, is a great example of the Emperor's New Clothes. If it's trendy then it becomes a status item rather than a cosmeti tool.

A reason why I feel so strongly about this issue is that this particular palette made me believe that I'm bad at creating eye looks and it took me a long time to realize that maybe it's the palette that's off and not me and the criteria I have for a good quality product. The hype, whether good or bad, deserved or underserved, easily blinds us from the issues. In the end, we are consumers with a limited purchasing power and we really shouldn't "stan" these brands or make their products as part of our identity.
-----------

NAKED 3 PROS
At least they improved the packaging. The Naked 1 is a velvety nasty mess. Literally. The case of Naked 3's is sturdy yet the material itself feels cheap. The overall look, and the quality of the packaging. complements the shades. The mirror is nice and distortion-free. The brush is a meh.

NAKED 3 CONS
• A lot of fallout. Base needs to be protected or done after eyes.
• Poor staying power even with their own primer, which I most of the time use succesfully with other shadows.
• Poor payoff with brushes. More like a dust of color, which seems to be at the core of this line BUT there's a clear difference between a wash of color and not being able to discern one shade from another.
• This palette seems to be one of those finger palettes. Swatches nicely with fingers or foam applicators but fails to get picked up by both natural and syntethic brushes.
• Easy to overblend. Requires ever so light touch when blending otherwise you either blend the shade away or create e a big muddy mess. I haven't yet come accross another palette that blends to mud so easily if used more than 1 color.
• Too many shimmers, which I find makes the muddying issue even more prevalent. Also, made the palette outdated quite quickly.
• Boring, way too identical shades making the looks too similar. It has only two mattes and not a single pop of color. The colors are in groups of four. You're able to create a wearable and a decent eyelook by picking one color from each group. If you mix up shades from the same group they have a habit of turn into a mud. If you pick one color per group you'll get something wearable but there's not enough variety to create distinct looks. If you turn your palette to it's side so that the light doesn't hit the pans directly, you will get a better idea of the actual shade range, which is butt ugly looking.
• I'm most dissapointed by the darkest shade in the palette called Blackheart. You really need to pack it on your lid to make the champagney shimmer show up on top of the blackish brown. This color also fades really fast and transfers easily.

COMPARISON TO OTHER COMPARABLE PALETTES - these prices are local and meant to give an idea of the difference

BH cosmetic's Glam - 19€ vs 54€
The shades of Naked 3 are creamy but so are the shade's in BH cosmetic's Glam reflection that I'm comparing this palette to. Glam is 60-70% cheaper depending your region. You get 3 more shades, 3x the mattes (6pcs), more distinct shade range, an equal staying power and maybe a bit less fall out. The staying power here is the key. It isn't that good with either of these palettes and that's my point. The Glam gives you hands down, pants up more bang for your buck while it has some issues that are not surprising for the price. Issues it shares with a product that is over 2 times more expensive.

Jeffree Star Blood Sugar - 50€ vs 54€
Blood sugar is at the same price range. And while the colors it has are way more vivid I think this gives a great idea of what my issues are with Urban Decay and their palettes pretty much as a whole. You get 6 more shades, bigger pans, 7x the mattes (14pcs), and disctinct variety of looks from subtle to I'm here to eat your heart out. Almost no fallout at all and easy to blend. There's also less danger to overblend and I haven't created a muddy look, yet. And the staying, and staining, power is from another planet. Also, the packaging is leagues better.

While other makers have up the quality, unfortunately, Urban Decay keeps puting out crappy pallettes as is evident with the Nude Cherry palette.

Naked 3 is overhyped,overpriced and outdated.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I’m absolutely in love with all the UD naked palettes. This one is particularly a favorite because it works well with my super cool toned skin. I’m really pink and these actually look like nude eyeshadow for once!! The shadows go on hyperpigmented and buttery smooth. You don’t need to use much. The brush included is actually perfect for the eyeshadows. They don’t crease, very little fallout, and they last all day without fading. I think they’re completely worth the money.

on 7/20/2018 12:43:00 PM

I love it- I'm a fan of neutral shades so I love the NAKED palettes. I currently own them all including Smokey and Heat, proving that I am willing to shell out the $ for such a great product. The diversity of these rosy colors make it easy to create different looks. I like to mix and match with my other NAKED palettes too. The cosistancy is smooth, pigminted and has great staying power- especially when paired with UD primer potions. The brush included in each palette is also very good. These shadows are worth every penny!

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse

This was my first ever eyeshadow palette and originally I was so excited to have it because there was a lot of hype around it! The packaging is gorgeous, the colors are great, but the formula isn't so great. I've had a lot of trouble trying to make this formulation work for me. The shimmers aren't very pigmented and in order to get better pay off you'll have to wet your eyeshadow brush, use an eyeshadow base (I used nyx's white eyeshadow base), or use glitter glue (I used the one by nyx). Regular old eyeshadow primer doesn't cut it. The best pay off I've had so far is with the eyeshadow base but even with all three methods, I find that my eyeshadow creases in a very ugly way an hour and a half to two hours after application. My favorite shades are Nooner, Factory, Darkside, and Blackheart with the last shade being very pigmented. Dust, Burnout, Buzz, and Liar are my least favorite and have the least pigmentation but with the above three methods you can coax some out. If I could go back in time, I would not purchase this and I don't recommend it either.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is my go to everyday palette. I literally always keep a back up Incase I ever lose or run out. The palette itself is so sturdy and beautiful. The shades are all gorgeous useable & so buttery & blendable. It has everything you need it has lots of transition shades & crease shades & kid shades. It has a range of finishes from mattes to satin to glitter/ foiled shades. I find dust & buzz apply better with a little Fix+ sprayed onto your brush. This is the first palette I’ve ever owned of which I will certainly use every single shade. Most palettes there’s always I few I dislike. The brush included is lovely though you will also need a fluffy blending brush for the crease. I have dropped this palette on my stone floor twice & it survived without any damage whatsoever I literally couldn’t believe it. I couldn’t ever be without this palette.
Pro’s
Beautiful sturdy packaging
Stunning shades
Fab range of finishes
Can achieve many full looks
Great value for money
Great quality mirror
Nice usable brush
Great for everyday

Con’s
Absolutely addictive I will re purchase again & again

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

I haven't really use this product on myself but I see family and friends wear it and they're always saying that they love it and that it was overall a good purchase. also it looks really good on them, this eyeshadow palette is for every type of skin color/type.

Soooooo good. It’s so pretty and so versatile

on 5/19/2018 5:52:00 PM

Naked 3 is my favorite Naked palette in the series. If you are fair or of light complexion and love soft romantic eye looks this palette is definitely for you. I've created some beautiful eye looks with this palette and I feel like the matte shades are a fair girl or guy's best friend when it comes to transition colors. If you are of deeper skin tone, I would probably pass on this one. My only issue with the palette is there are 3 shades toward the right-end of the palette that are kind of repetitive and similar in tone. When I first purchased this palette I was blown away with the quality, pigmentation, and performance of the shades and the overall formula performed a lot better than the previous two naked palettes. I have had this palette for a little over 3 years and have noticed that the shades don't perform as well as they use to and are not as pigmented as when I first purchased. This could be due to the age of my palette so please keep in mind that if you do want to purchase this, I have found that the optimal time frame for it's quality is really only around two years. After that, the eye shadow quality seems to disintegrate which is such a shame because I did love the palette when it was newer to me. I still pull this palette out and use it from time to time because even though I'm not as satisfied with it as I once was I don't want to waste my money and I still think 3 years for an eye shadow is not quite old enough to warrant getting rid of it completely. The shelf-life of this is something I definitely wanted to mention but overall, it's a very beautiful and wearable palette.

on 4/6/2018 6:44:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine

I have a special love to this palette because this was my first one, I bought it after seen a lot of reviews of it and when I got it I fell in love. Have to say that I haven´t try any of the Naked Original and Naked 2 palettes, but this one is rich in pigment, is easy to blend, you can make a soft easy look or a sexy smokey eyes, a halo eye, you can do everything.
Of course you have to love this kind of colors, they´re mostly neutral to cool toned. A very warm look person who doesn't like pink or mauve is gonna hate it.
I like to use it in its own, like I dont't pick any color of any other eyeshadow palette because every color here fits perfect with the others in the palette. Sometimes we hear the opinions fo the wrong people like some beauty gurus that says "you can't do a whole look with this" OF COURSE YOU CAN! If they don't feel like they can is not your problem.

on 3/15/2018 11:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Okay, I'm a little disappointed with this. I had the MUR Iconic 3 which is a known dupe and it was well loved. Since my Iconic 3 was beat up, broken & not appealing to use at all anymore, I decided to go for the real thing like a big girl. Meh. The packaging is disappointing, I hate the weird way it closes and opens, one side at a time. Compared to the packaging of the Naked Smoky which is stunning it feels like the packaging of a different, cheaper brand. The shadows look more different between themselves in pictures online then they are in real life. The shadows are good quality like you would expect from UD but honestly can you do more than one or two looks at most with this palette? Yes, it's a pretty look, but one look still. I feel like you could take half the shadows out of it and it would still achieve the same purpose. It's too damn expensive for a one look palette. If you are undecided between this or the MUR dupe and don't really have money to throw unnecessarily, go for the dupe, you're literally not missing anything at all. Overall, I don't regret getting it, but the only thing this palette achieves for me is that I can finally sleep sound knowing that I have the real deal, mighty, Urban Decay original & I'm part of the cool crowd. What can I say, snobbery costs and doesn't always deliver.