The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter

Filtered by hair type : Straight
The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter

4.5

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Synthetic Wax (Binder/Emollient), PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Olea Europaea Fruit Oil/Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil (Emollient), Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter (Skin Conditioning Agent - Emollient), Caprylyl Glycol (Skin Conditioning Agent), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Parfum/Fragrance (Fragrance), Aqua/Water (Solvent/Diluent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (Emollient), Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract (Natural Additive), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster).

on 2/23/2018 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This has gotten such good reviews compared to TTDO from Clinique that I was sure I was going to love it, but that didn't happen.

I have rated TTDO a 4/5, because it cleans slightly worse than my favorite makeup remover, and it costs more, however, it's a decent cleansing balm. The Chamomile cleaning balm however, does not work well for me. It cleans worse that TTDO - I tested this by swiping my face with a cotton pad with toner after washing my face, after using TTDO and the Chamomile Butter, and the pad had way more makeup on it when I used this. I use quite a few long-wearing, waterproof, heavy products, and I need a really good makeup remover to keep my skin in good condition.

Generally, I'm left with an oily layer of some kind of residue on my face when I use this balm, and the layer is hard to get off even with forming cleanser. Those with dehydrated or really dry skin might like this residue, but I don't, because it means my makeup is not fully removed.

Further, I really dislike the smell of this. I generally avoid perfume in skin care, but this was a particularly offensive smell to me; when I open the box, I can smell this from a couple of feet away. It's heavily fragranced, the perfume stings my eyes when I use it to remove my mascara, and it gets into my mouth when removing lipstick, and tastes nasty - I don't want to taste perfume when removing my makeup!

Lastly, the price of this is about half of TTDO, but the amount you get is also about half, so I'm not feeling I'm getting a much better deal price-wise. Also, I bought this to travel with, as it is not a liquid, however, I think the TTDO Balm might be better in this case: it stays solid up to a higher temperature and has a more secure lid. The Chamomile Butter liquefies quite easily (handy when you are at home though), and I can't say I trust the container to not leak if the cleanser melts. EDIT: I had this with me in hot weather. I was right: it meted and leaked out of the tin...

on 2/22/2018 4:38:00 PM

This cleanser is the perfect dupe for the Clinique Take The Day Off balm. It has a similair texture, spreads just as easily and is pretty easy to rinse off with a konjac sponge. It's also pretty damn affordable, considering you only need very little to spread it all over your face. It gets all my make-up off and will allow you to massage your face too if you wish to do so. It did leave my skin kinda tight feeling, which surprised me considering most balm cleansers leave my face moisturized.

However, I have a few issues with this product.
1) The fragrance. The older I get, the more tired I become of companies that market themselves as natural and keep on using fragrance in their products. Enough already. I'm a grown ass woman and I don't need my skincare to smell amazing in order for me to want to buy it. I want it do good things to my face and fragrance doesn't do good things for the face.
2) Stings the eyes. With any balm, I run it over my eyes after I've taken my make-up with a cotton pad in order to get the last bits off and if I keep it on a little too long, my eyes start full on itching that progresses into a sting. This is something the Clinique balm doesn't do for me.
3. A bitch to open. I had to use some serious muscle to open it for the first time. Who ever came up with the idea to put the lid on as tight as spanx needs to re-evaluate that decision. It's just not necessary.

Having mentioned these issues, the overall experience with this product isn't bad at all, but out of all the balms I've tried, this one won't be bought again.
I will say though, if you are looking into using a balm cleanser but you don't want to spend heavy coin while doing so, this is a good option.

on 9/3/2017 4:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

This is my HG makeup remover - I love it and will rave about it to anyone. The tin is great for travelling and a little goes a long way, with one tin lasting months. This cleansing butter is smooth, easy to use and washes off with water. It doesn't dry out my skin and removes a full face of makeup with hardly any pulls or tugs. I do double cleanse after I use this, just to make sure every scrap of makeup is gone. I've tried The Body Shop's camomile cleansing oil, but prefer the butter as it's less messy. Highly recommend as I wouldn't use anything else to take off my makeup.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

I wanted to try out a cleansing balm - this one is pretty flaky and waxy and almost chunky in texture. I have to melt it in my hands before rubbing it on my face. It doesn't rinse as clean as the Clinique oil & balm do; it kind of leaves a residue, but I double-cleanse anyway. It took off all my sunscreen, makeup, etc. so no problems there. The scent is light and floral and pretty nice.

on 5/28/2017 12:29:00 PM

This is my go-to balm cleanser as a cheaper alternative to Clinique's Take the Day Off Balm (and a more animal-friendly alternative).
I use this as the first cleanse to remove makeup and SPF. It's really good at that taking off the most stubborn mascara, gel eyeliner and long-wearing waterproof foundation. I don't think this is meant to be more that a make-up and SPF remover and a real SKIN cleanser as it is really rich and balmy for that. Does not contain much beneficial ingredients for the skin to be that either. Take it off with a warm water soaked washcloth (because I am not human able to remove this with just running water, if you can - you are a better human than me!)
I follow up with a cream non-foamy cleanser and my skincare routine and it's just beautiful and lovely.
This is my second jar. One lasts you pretty long since you don't need much - just a fingernail full. And I have two stashed as a backup because I refuse to be left without this in the near foreseeable future.

on 3/28/2017 7:45:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm on my third tub of TBS cleansing butter and I don't often repeat buy cleansers (there's so many to try!) so it must be good. I love the travel/earth friendly packaging and the scent which is clean and fresh. The texture of the cleanser is divine - it melts/emulsifies easily and is a joy to smooth on my face. I use this as a first PM cleanse when removing makeup, grime etc. I have no trouble removing mascara with this balm. Doesn't irritate my skin (I remove with a hot face washer). Doesn't leave any residue - I do a second cleanse at night but before I do the second cleanse my face feels soft and clean anyway. At AU$24.95 per tin it's a steal.

on 3/28/2016 7:29:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

I have been using Shisheido Benefiance cream ckeanser for years and it was discontinued. So I was on the hunt for a good cream cleanser, I am delighted with this. It is soothing on my skin and does a great job. As it is so calming I use it with a buffer to exfoliate once or twice a week.

Leaves my skin soft and is soothing. Wish I had discovered this sooner, could have saved my $ as this is great value compared to what I was paying.

The only problem I have is I find the lid difficult to twist off.

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

This is by far the easiest, gentlest makeup remover I have ever used. My skin is quite thin/sensitive, so removing my makeup with cotton pads/wipes tends to irritate and sting quite badly.

I apply about half a teaspoon of this on dry skin and then spread it out evenly all over my face (including over my eyes). Then I let it sit and warm on my skin while I brush my teeth. After the product is warmed, I massage it in for a minute or so, and every bit of makeup slides right off.

I do find it leaves a bit of a film behind, but you can either go in with a second cleanser, or leave it the feeling goes away once your face is dry, and there's no makeup leftover. It's just a light, non-irritating, moisturizing barrier.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is the first cleansing balm I've ever used, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I am pretty pleased. I use this to remove my high PPD sunscreen and waterproof eye makeup by massaging maybe a chickpea sized dollop into my dry skin, adding a little water to emulsify (the product will turn white and milky), and removing with a warm washcloth. This is not a standalone cleanser for me, as it does leave a slight residue even with a washcloth. Rather, it's a makeup remover and the first step in a double cleanse; I follow up with CeraVe foaming cleanser.

I can't say that this product has radically changed my skin for the better, but it really is very effective and it allows me to use the stronger sunblocks I need to wear so that I can use products with AHAs or retinol at night to get at my skin issues. The tin is nice for traveling and I like that the product doesn't run down my arms when I'm at the sink, but the lid is a bit fidgety to remove because the tin is broad and shallow. If they switched to a deeper tin with a smaller diameter, I would be very happy.

Ultimately I know I will stray and try other cleansing balms because I'm new to the product type, but I would be happy to keep using this cleansing butter if I don't find something I like better. I may come back and update my review depending on what else I find out there in the land of cleansing balms.

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brown, Straight, Other

So far I would repuchase this product, I use a hot damp wash cloth and wpe it off really well I use the orgins oil cleanser, but with the great reviews and the contianer I was courious to give it a try I always follow up with a gentle every day cleanser afterwards. Its melts easily in my hands and removed my water proof mascra without any problems.
Will update if I dislike it.