The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter

The Body Shop Camomile Sumptuous Cleansing Butter

4.3

Not tested on animals
The Body Shop is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

Ethylhexyl Palmitate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Synthetic Wax (Binder/Emollient), PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate (Skin Conditioning Agent), Olea Europaea Fruit Oil/Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil (Emollient), Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter (Skin Conditioning Agent - Emollient), Caprylyl Glycol (Skin Conditioning Agent), Tocopherol (Antioxidant), Parfum/Fragrance (Fragrance), Aqua/Water (Solvent/Diluent), Linalool (Fragrance Ingredient), Limonene (Fragrance Ingredient), Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil (Emollient), Anthemis Nobilis Flower Extract (Natural Additive), Citric Acid (pH Adjuster).

on 11/27/2016 5:58:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

This stuff is fabulous. It's every bit as good as similar products I use from Clinique or Clarins but so much less expensive, especially with the great value deals that The Body Shop often has (buy 3, get 3, etc.). This removes every trace of makeup, including my eye makeup, and it is so gentle and pleasant to use and yet thorough. I remove it with a muslin cloth or an ordinary face cloth wrung out in warm water. A really great product!

on 8/7/2017 5:44:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse

A great dupe for Clinique's TTDO Cleansing Balm! Quite literally exactly the same product - colour, texture and performance-wise.
Except far cheaper!

+ Great for travelling. Solid balm that melts into an oil upon touch. Slim tub, fits into toiletries bag nicely.
+ Very effective make up and sunscreen remover
+ I love the way it feels on the skin upon melting
+ Good value. Only AUD$23 for 100ml (as oppose to Clinique's at AUD$34 with the same amount of product and a chunkier tub)

- For those who like fabulous ingredients in cleansers, this is not for you... it's just a basic balm cleanser :)

Would definitely buy again. Still have a tub left, except now I save it for travels!

on 4/24/2016 6:28:00 PM

This is a great product, similar to the popular Korean cleansing balms without the price tag. Its very effective, gently and emulsifies well. Most of the time you can get some kind of a deal and I got this at 40% off, give this a go, you can't go wrong. The ingredients could be higher quality and there could be some skincare benefits but for the price, its super gentle and very effective. You need a pea sized amount and extra marks for being packaged in a metal tin. Most of these things are in plastic containers which leaches chemicals into the product making it rancid.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My newest obsession is cleansing balms. I love this product as much as the very expensive It Cosmetics 3 in 1 Bye Bye Makeup Balm. The tin is a bit hard to open but I do appreciate that this will be sturdy for travel. I apply a small amount on my fingertips and massage into my face for a couple of minutes. This feels amazing, not greasy, super hydrating and breaks down all makeup easily, including waterproof mascara. The balm rinses away easily too although I follow up with my Clarisonic and a creamy hydrating gentle cleanser, just a personal preference when I've worn makeup. On non-makeup days I still use this at night but skip the follow up cleanser so I don't strip my skin unnecessarily. Skin feels soft and supple. If you haven't tried a cleansing balm I recommend this one.

on 11/25/2013 10:03:00 AM

Holy Grail Alert for make-up remover.
This is my favourite make-up remover at the moment and I feel it is going to stay that way for a while. It does not break out or sting my very sensitive skin or eyes, does not aggravate my redness, removes heavy make-up and waterproof eye make-up easily and rinses out well.

I was using TBS Shiso cleansing oil before this but it blurred my vision badly if I used it on my eyes, and it also stang my eyes a little bit. This butter has a lovely, soft texture that turns into oil – it is lighter than Shiso- melts my makeup and I can wash it off my skin easily – though I go for a second round of cleansing due to my new friend acne. It doesn’t clog my pores (lots of other products do). I prefer a thick, almost rubbery waterproof mascara for everyday use and this butter sweeps it away easily whereas a lot of liquid eye make-up removers struggle with it. I love its smooth texture, love the fact that it is in a tin and do not mind the smell.

Highly recommended both for eyes and face.

on 2/23/2018 4:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

This has gotten such good reviews compared to TTDO from Clinique that I was sure I was going to love it, but that didn't happen.

I have rated TTDO a 4/5, because it cleans slightly worse than my favorite makeup remover, and it costs more, however, it's a decent cleansing balm. The Chamomile cleaning balm however, does not work well for me. It cleans worse that TTDO - I tested this by swiping my face with a cotton pad with toner after washing my face, after using TTDO and the Chamomile Butter, and the pad had way more makeup on it when I used this. I use quite a few long-wearing, waterproof, heavy products, and I need a really good makeup remover to keep my skin in good condition.

Generally, I'm left with an oily layer of some kind of residue on my face when I use this balm, and the layer is hard to get off even with forming cleanser. Those with dehydrated or really dry skin might like this residue, but I don't, because it means my makeup is not fully removed.

Further, I really dislike the smell of this. I generally avoid perfume in skin care, but this was a particularly offensive smell to me; when I open the box, I can smell this from a couple of feet away. It's heavily fragranced, the perfume stings my eyes when I use it to remove my mascara, and it gets into my mouth when removing lipstick, and tastes nasty - I don't want to taste perfume when removing my makeup!

Lastly, the price of this is about half of TTDO, but the amount you get is also about half, so I'm not feeling I'm getting a much better deal price-wise. Also, I bought this to travel with, as it is not a liquid, however, I think the TTDO Balm might be better in this case: it stays solid up to a higher temperature and has a more secure lid. The Chamomile Butter liquefies quite easily (handy when you are at home though), and I can't say I trust the container to not leak if the cleanser melts. EDIT: I had this with me in hot weather. I was right: it meted and leaked out of the tin...

on 2/22/2018 4:38:00 PM

This cleanser is the perfect dupe for the Clinique Take The Day Off balm. It has a similair texture, spreads just as easily and is pretty easy to rinse off with a konjac sponge. It's also pretty damn affordable, considering you only need very little to spread it all over your face. It gets all my make-up off and will allow you to massage your face too if you wish to do so. It did leave my skin kinda tight feeling, which surprised me considering most balm cleansers leave my face moisturized.

However, I have a few issues with this product.
1) The fragrance. The older I get, the more tired I become of companies that market themselves as natural and keep on using fragrance in their products. Enough already. I'm a grown ass woman and I don't need my skincare to smell amazing in order for me to want to buy it. I want it do good things to my face and fragrance doesn't do good things for the face.
2) Stings the eyes. With any balm, I run it over my eyes after I've taken my make-up with a cotton pad in order to get the last bits off and if I keep it on a little too long, my eyes start full on itching that progresses into a sting. This is something the Clinique balm doesn't do for me.
3. A bitch to open. I had to use some serious muscle to open it for the first time. Who ever came up with the idea to put the lid on as tight as spanx needs to re-evaluate that decision. It's just not necessary.

Having mentioned these issues, the overall experience with this product isn't bad at all, but out of all the balms I've tried, this one won't be bought again.
I will say though, if you are looking into using a balm cleanser but you don't want to spend heavy coin while doing so, this is a good option.

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

As busy as hell traveling software trainer who has to be flawless daily, this makes night time cleansing so fun. I love the light smell and helps me to calm my nerves and senses! I love the container as I know it won't come out while it's in transit--have to love how American Airlines destroys your luggage.This is my first step in my double cleanse nightly. I have tried other balms the Clinque one and Pixi which are both great but this one just does something to my soul. Maybe it's the scent or the the texture but it's a luxe experience for a first time body shop user.

on 4/12/2017 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

OMG I love this stuff. If you would have told me a year ago I would be using an oil/balm on my face I wouldn't have believed it. I have oily/dehydrated/acne prone skin and this doesn't break me out. However, I do always follow with a second cleanser because it does leave a slight film. It's just so soft and relaxing to use. It melts all my make up right off. All i need is a dime sized amount and it gets the job done. And a huge plus for me is it's so reasonably priced compared to the other balm cleansers on the market.

on 4/24/2016 5:54:00 PM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I've been reading up quite a bit on skin care recently and the wonderful Caroline Hirons recommends this on her blog as a budget version of cleansing balms.

It's not strong smelling, feels very smoothing on the skin, and I really enjoy using it. I use it every evening, and in the morning if my skin is feeling a bit sensitive.

I massage a small amount into dry skin-the balm quickly turns into a milky oil upon contact with the skin. Then I use a warm (not hot!) flannel to wash it off. I give it a couple of goes with the flannel to make sure I get it all off. It doesn't leave a residue.

It's mild enough to use on the eyelids without causing irritation in my experience. Once the balm has turned to an oil I use a bit to massage into my eyelashes and I find it removes mascara very well (I don't wear waterproof, so I can't tell you if it works well on that).

The tin it comes in is very handy for travelling, and I don't find it a bind at all to open and dispense product. Some people may be put off by putting their hands into the product. Considering I wash my hands before I clean my face (obvs!) and I store this in a cool dry place, I don't see an issue with this.

I'd recommend this for anyone making their first foray into cleansing balms, as well as anyone looking for a decent cleanser for a decent price.