Coty Vanilla Fields (parfum)

Filtered by skin type : Dry

3.8

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This seems to have been reformulated since the 90's when I wore it as a kid. I remember a pretty linear sweet vanilla scent with a hint of musk. Now it's got some powdery floral mixed in that's not very pleasant in my opinion. That floral blast at the beginning does tone down after the topnotes disappear though, and the sweet vanilla scent that I know and love begins to come through. That powdery vibe tends to linger through the whole thing.
It's a decent scent, a great deal around the holidays (I got my 11ml bottle for $3 at Walmart). But it's not the same scent as I (and many others) remember from their childhood or remember their mothers wearing. I wish they would bring the original formula back!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Having acquired two vintage bottles of Vanilla Fields I've had two completely different reactions to a perfume I've never used before. The first bottle was a horrible smell that eventually morphed into a semi-respectable version of a synthetic vanilla. I wondered what all the fuss was about. And then I happened upon my second bottle, tested it, and found out. No wonder people speak so highly of this little gem! These are vanilla fields, hot with a charred long on the fire smell, when the fire needs to be tended because it's gone too low, only embers are showing with the darkness of the burnt logs. Sure you have a few moments of alcohol whizz to wait through, but once you get through that, then Vanilla Fields begins its journey. The fire needs to be resumed and you're in dire need of replenishment leaves and twigs. It's dark and late, you're foraging and all you find are leaves on the damper side, leaves that have been rotting for awhile, but they'll do with the twigs to spark the dead fire. It comes to life with smoke, the smoke of the fire yet you still have the smell of the wet decayed leaves on your gloves. This is primitive camping at night, late fall, a crisp 40 something degrees and you sit back, a job well done, inhaling the woods around you, the fire in front of you and the forests smell on you. For a very inexpensive perfume, it's worth the try. It has never given me a true vanilla flavor, whether back in the day or now with these two bottles and that's what chemistry is all about. Vanilla Fields seems more about a patchouli woods experience, a very light synthetic vanilla base. A cold weather scent that works very differently for me, and that's what perfume is all about, too. There is a world of difference between "smoke" and "burnt" and both can be equally appreciated in perfumes, especially in the cooler or cold weather months. "Smoke" evokes images of fires and fireplaces, hearths with cinders and smoke curling up chimneys. "Burnt" brings to mind the aftermath of the fire, the logs burnt and charred, blackened with dense smoke. Equally pleasurable, both distinct. No florals for me here, but there are some slightly musky undertones mixed in with the woods. Winds down after roughly five to six hours at the minimum and projection is quite good for an inexpensive drugstore classic. I really do enjoy that charred smell, it's quite different. I could mix in some vanilla with it, but I'm not one to mix my perfumes. I like to let them stand on their own.
Top Notes: Bergamot, Coconut, Peach.
Middle Notes: Lily-Of-Valley, Jasmine, Geranium.
Base Notes: Amber, Virginia Cedar, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla.

This is another one of those perfumes I am ashamed to say I ever wore. I went through about a year (when I was a young teenager) where I wore this constantly - every darn day. Now, when I smell it, I get sick. It's heavy, immature, and cheap. What was I thinking???

This perfume has a slightly "heavy" muskier afterscent, and I'm surprised I like it, since musky perfumes just aren't my thing normally, but the vanilla seems to lighten it. It's a nice, "rich" perfume and I like it on me as an evening scent.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I wore this for quite a while when I had my first job and couldn't afford anything more expensive. This is a non-descript vanilla/musk scent. I worked with the public and it wasn't an offensive scent, but neither did it bring any compliments my way. It does however, hold a fond memory for me, because this is the only present that my brother has ever bought for me on my birthday. I'm not 18 anymore and I can afford something more sophisticated, more womanly...but I still have those fond memories of my Vanilla Fields.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This has been a favorite for over a decade, it's not expensive & smells really good. It's one of those perfumes you need to spray lightly because it CAN become overpowering but when sprayed sparingly, it has a very inviting scent.

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This smells great, but makes me sad. Vanilla Fields was the only perfume my mother ever wore, and she has been gone for 5 years now. I can wear other Vanilla fragrances now but I don't think I'll ever be able to wear Vanilla Fields again. I can't even stand to smell it on other people. I can spot it in a crowd. Oh, well.

Update: My mom has been gone for 6 years now. I found myself missing the scent of Vanilla Fields and believe it or not I bought a small bottle this evening. It smells different now and doesn't remind me of sad times. After all I was the first one to wear it and mom copied me. My husband loves it, and I think my mom would be proud of me

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

This fragrance was sent to me from the ever lovely Birg, but I probably would have bought it myself anyway, attracted to its description as I was. Please don't be fooled by its ridiculously low price, this is a fine composition. It's my first vanilla fragrance, and I like it a lot in minute amounts. It starts out very much vanilla, then passes through a bergamot/Earl Grey tea stage on me, on to some very enchanting notes of orange, mimosa and some unknown bouquet of flowers. This is the perfect winter scent, it's very warm and cosy. Vanilla always has a 'mother' smell to it, doesn't it? And this certainly appealed to my daughters as well! Thanks, Birg, for introducing me to yet another secret gem of the fragrance world!

Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Medium

A good old tried and true scent that I go back to from time to time. Very light and pleasant smelling without being overbearing. Worth trying out.