Coty Vanilla Fields (parfum)

Filtered by skin tone : Fair

3.0

Price: $

Price: $

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Having acquired two vintage bottles of Vanilla Fields I've had two completely different reactions to a perfume I've never used before. The first bottle was a horrible smell that eventually morphed into a semi-respectable version of a synthetic vanilla. I wondered what all the fuss was about. And then I happened upon my second bottle, tested it, and found out. No wonder people speak so highly of this little gem! These are vanilla fields, hot with a charred long on the fire smell, when the fire needs to be tended because it's gone too low, only embers are showing with the darkness of the burnt logs. Sure you have a few moments of alcohol whizz to wait through, but once you get through that, then Vanilla Fields begins its journey. The fire needs to be resumed and you're in dire need of replenishment leaves and twigs. It's dark and late, you're foraging and all you find are leaves on the damper side, leaves that have been rotting for awhile, but they'll do with the twigs to spark the dead fire. It comes to life with smoke, the smoke of the fire yet you still have the smell of the wet decayed leaves on your gloves. This is primitive camping at night, late fall, a crisp 40 something degrees and you sit back, a job well done, inhaling the woods around you, the fire in front of you and the forests smell on you. For a very inexpensive perfume, it's worth the try. It has never given me a true vanilla flavor, whether back in the day or now with these two bottles and that's what chemistry is all about. Vanilla Fields seems more about a patchouli woods experience, a very light synthetic vanilla base. A cold weather scent that works very differently for me, and that's what perfume is all about, too. There is a world of difference between "smoke" and "burnt" and both can be equally appreciated in perfumes, especially in the cooler or cold weather months. "Smoke" evokes images of fires and fireplaces, hearths with cinders and smoke curling up chimneys. "Burnt" brings to mind the aftermath of the fire, the logs burnt and charred, blackened with dense smoke. Equally pleasurable, both distinct. No florals for me here, but there are some slightly musky undertones mixed in with the woods. Winds down after roughly five to six hours at the minimum and projection is quite good for an inexpensive drugstore classic. I really do enjoy that charred smell, it's quite different. I could mix in some vanilla with it, but I'm not one to mix my perfumes. I like to let them stand on their own.
Top Notes: Bergamot, Coconut, Peach.
Middle Notes: Lily-Of-Valley, Jasmine, Geranium.
Base Notes: Amber, Virginia Cedar, Sandalwood, Patchouli, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla.

This is another one of those perfumes I am ashamed to say I ever wore. I went through about a year (when I was a young teenager) where I wore this constantly - every darn day. Now, when I smell it, I get sick. It's heavy, immature, and cheap. What was I thinking???

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I LOVED this perfume. I started wearing it in the 90's as a teenager. I stopped wearing it because a friend found out what I was wearing and started wearing it too. It did smell different back in the 1990's. It was less floral and more vanilla-amber-powder. It's still lovely though. I recently bought the gift set for $7, it was half off at Walmart the day after Christmas. I can usually find it at Walmart and sometimes Walgreens around the holidays.
The floral notes seem more prominent and are very tropical and balmy. I think it almost smells tropical because of the flowers mixing with the coconut. It is intense at first and very floral. It only lasts a half hour tops and then I get lots of vanilla mixed with tonka bean and some musk and powder. The final dry down is vanilla cookie chemistry.
The new formulation gives me a headache. It's nothing like the 1990's version which was a lovely vanilla, amber and sandalwood. It had little florals.
The new formulation is terrible.

This perfume has a slightly "heavy" muskier afterscent, and I'm surprised I like it, since musky perfumes just aren't my thing normally, but the vanilla seems to lighten it. It's a nice, "rich" perfume and I like it on me as an evening scent.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

I didn't realize I could feel so much hate for a perfume I wasn't allergic to. The perfume itself smells like cheap, fake vanilla. It smells like a twelve year old. That in itself isn't so bad. I like the smell of walmart cottoncandy body spray, my taste in scents is not terribly mature. What really bothers me is how this scent reacts on many people. It smells overwhelmingly like body odor. I use to think this smell was from girls in my highschool trying to mask the odor with massive amounts of perfume, but I've come to realize that it's the perfume itself. I've witnessed the scent come alive minutes after being applied, starting to reek of BO. It's such a heavy scent that sticks around in the air. I've done paperwork in the hall at work because the scent was lingering around the office. Ugh.

Ahh it's reminds me of junior high! I recently re-purchased this fragrance. It reminds me of the good ol' days. And surprisingly, I get alot of compliments when i wear it!! I like to wear as a day fragrance. All you need is two squirts of it, cause it is rather strong. But I love it!

Reminds me of high school. Like a treasured old sweater I pull it out from time to time for the old memories. :)

I want to always keep a bottle of this fragrance around as a "corrector" fragrance. I do not use it as a stand alone, but as an enhancer/corrector for those frags I bought that ended up being set aside because they were not sweet enough to suit me. So, I can use VF to fix them up into desirables that I can wear. This method has been successful many times and because of that I give VF a rating of 3, only because it is waaay too sweet as a stand alone, but combined with one that is not sweet, it works great!

I wore this perfume for years when I was younger. I was a flight attendant and couldn't wear anything strong or offensive. This was perfect for that. Of course I wore it mostly because I couldn't afford anything more expensive at the time, however, strangely enough---out of all the perfumes I have worn, some being over 100.00 a bottle, Vanilla Fields has gotten the most compliments by far. I wear Gucci by Gucci now and get some compliments, but not nearly as many as when I wore Vanilla Fields.
I hadn't smelled VF in years so the other day I spritzed some on at the drug store and not a half an hour later, I had already received three compliments. Not sure what it is about this fragrance, but it does seem to go over well with folks.
I may just get myself a bottle to have on hand.
UPDATE******I picked up a small bottle of this yesterday real cheap at a discount store. I wore it today and sure enough...I got 3 compliments! Proves my theory on this stuff. It is YUMMY! Those are the first compliments I have receieved in years. The last time was when I used to wear this stuff. Amazing.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I wore this for quite a while when I had my first job and couldn't afford anything more expensive. This is a non-descript vanilla/musk scent. I worked with the public and it wasn't an offensive scent, but neither did it bring any compliments my way. It does however, hold a fond memory for me, because this is the only present that my brother has ever bought for me on my birthday. I'm not 18 anymore and I can afford something more sophisticated, more womanly...but I still have those fond memories of my Vanilla Fields.

Popular Fragrances