Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge

Real Techniques  Miracle Complexion Sponge

4.2

on 10/12/2018 2:14:00 AM

I've heard wayyyyyy too much hype about this product that I had to try it out after 3 years of contemplation!
Yes, I've bought the HG beautyblender first so no doubt I'll be comparing them both together.

Unfortunately, I've been let down just a tad bit!

The rumours are true, the RT sponge is slightly harder even when dampened with water. When applying concealer I found that I had to bounce it harder for the product to be spread out, compared to the beautyblender (i use the original & the black one), the BB blended the product out a lot more smoother with a few dabs, little effort.

This sponge, even though I feel that its surface area is slightly larger when damped, I find it hard to control because of its texture. Hence, I do get the feeling where the product seems to sit on my undereye or my face instead of "blending" out. At times I have to tug my skin a bit for it to spread a little more evenly.

However, it doesn't seem to absorb much of the product (concealer / foundation) which I do appreciate. Another pro of the RT sponge is the flat side, which I found it really good for me to blend out my cream based contour. Surprisingly I find the flat side easier to control than the pointed side.

Bottom line, if you're just starting out makeup and just want something really good to invest, just stick to the BB. Slightly pricey, but it would last really long if you know how to take good care of it (i've been using it for 4 yrs straight w/o replacing) and you have a lot more control in blending products out, esp if you're new to the makeup game and your makeup might look too harsh at times. I personally recommend the black one, since the original one runs colour when washed.

I wouldn't repurchase the RT sponge again simply because I prefer the BB one better, and I'm willing to pay slightly more, but that doesn't mean its completely unusable. I feel like there are a few tricks in order to work around it. I'd still use this sponge on days where my BB is being washed.

Hope this somehow helps!

on 8/23/2018 6:00:00 PM

A great alternative to the Beauty Blender (which you’ll never convince me isn’t an absurd price for something you’re supposed to repurchase every 3 months). I use the flat side for foundation and the pointed side for applying concealer around my eyes, and it works just fine. The only downside to using this damp is it can potentially sheer out foundation too much, especially ones with a watery consistency, and using it dry may soak up too much product at times. Otherwise, good stuff!

on 8/6/2018 2:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I regret buying this sponge, even though it was inexpensive. It was not worth my $4. It soaks up my foundation and wastes more money. It's not firm enough and I found it to be almost 'scratchy'. The texture reminds me of mattress foam. I am very disappointed considering that this is supposed to be some great BB dupe. I use it damp like I have every other sponge and this is just not up to par. I'm not going to bother to try and make it work, it's going in the trash.

on 7/31/2018 12:46:00 AM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other

For years I've been a loyal BB user, but I was in the UK recently and found the real techniques sponge for a fraction of the price, and I won't be going back to the BB. The RT sponge is firmer which I actually really liked but didn't really notice until I went back to my BB. When I went back to my BB, it felt like it was just too flimsy and like I had to press it harder into my face. I have tried cheaper sponges before, but they never blended as well as well.

Will definitely repurchase.

never used a sponge before, my favorite way to use this is damp, the flat side for foundation, the round side for cream blusher, the point for concealer, the opposite of the round side to set my whole face when I am done, crease less in wrinkles..love it. Impressed

on 7/2/2018 12:39:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Tan, Not Sure

Hm. I feel like I’m in the minority when I say that this sponge did not work as well as the original beauty blender for me. I felt like this sponge got too soft and squishy when wet, as opposed to the beauty blender that is a little more firm when wet. I noticed that the real techniques sponge didn’t do as good a job for more mattifying, full coverage foundations like my Estée Lauder double wear as did the beauty blender. However, it did a fine job on tinted moisturizers like Nars/more hydrating foundations like bourjois healthy mix serum. However for lighter/creamier foundations I really prefer to use a brush anyways so didn’t feel that there was a point to keep purchasing this sponge. I will stick to my beauty blender on days where I use my double wear.

on 6/30/2018 11:38:00 PM

I don't know if this would be considered sacrilege in the beauty world, but this was no different to using a wedge sponge. Am I missing something? I mean, it's not a bad product, it's a perfectly functional make-up sponge, I just don't get how the shape makes it any better than another sponge - the sides of my wedge sponges are flat shaped and folded over they'll get into small spaces like sides of nose. I keep thinking there's got to be something I don't know about this product, and all beauty blender shaped sponges in general - but I'm just not seeing it. Went back to buying wedge sponges in bulk after this reached the end of its useful life.

on 6/22/2018 11:27:00 AM

I've been trying to find dopes of the original beauty blender (because the original is too ex) but they always end up failing, until i tried the real techniques miracle complexion sponge and... I WAS SOLD. This sponge to me, is honestly way better than the original beauty blender as it is less coarse and gives a more dewy even look.

on 5/4/2018 7:53:00 AM

This a sponge I buy in bulk off of Amazon because of how much I enjoy using it and I know I will continue to enjoy using it. I honestly have never tried a beauty blender because I couldn’t justify the price tag for it. I had tried other brands, but I was never wow’d enough to ever repurchase them. I didn’t get the hype behind blending sponges until I used this one to apply and it was legit!

One day it would be cool to try out a beauty blender to see how it compares, but until then why fix what isn’t broke?!

even though I love the real techniques brushes, I hate this sponge with a burning passion. It didn't allow me to blend my concealer at all and only smudged it around my face. Had to throw it away immediately.

Popular Misc Beauty Tools