no images

price range

Reviews

from

4 years ago

One of my favorite Nars lipstick shades! Very sexy but does not seem cheap. It is very assertive but not too much. It is a red with plum undertone. Red and shades of reds never ever look good on me but this one looks great! If you think red is not just for you believe this product will change your mind! Very beautiful finish, not too matte not too shiny but gives a satin finish. Easy to apply because it is a thick pencil easily glide on your lips. Sit and stay perfectly. Highly recommended!

About reviewer (27 reviews)

SkinSensitive, Medium, Warm

HairBlond, Straight, Medium

EyesBlue

4 years ago

This is a truly gorgeous color and seemingly popular as I got the last one in the drawer at sephora. It is the perfect shade of burgundy with a wine/berry undertone vs a brown. I'm a redhead with fair skin but have recently ombre/bayalaged my hair blonde, red at the top. This color fits all the variation of color in my hair wonderfully and I think it works well with my pink undertones. If your skin has a heavy yellow undertone it may not be the right fit. It looks almost the same color as the dark berry brand color for MA with a slightly more red/violet/berry color. The pencil application was precise and easy, and the pigment was strong, texture creamy. I did not have it on long so I cannot comment on the length of wear.

About reviewer (60 reviews)

SkinCombination, Fair-Medium

HairRed

EyesHazel

5 years ago

Absolutely beautiful dark wine colour. It is shiny and more like a lip stain with a bit of gloss than a lipstick-type coverage. Romantic and sexy.

About reviewer (6 reviews)

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium, Cool

HairBlack, Curly, Fine

EyesBrown

5 years ago

This is a beautiful oxblood/deep burgundy lip pencil. I was debating between Palais Royal, Charlotte Audacious lipstick, and Scarlet Empress lipstick (all NARS) and of the three, Scarlet Empress is my favorite. They are in the same color family and within a shade of each other. Damned matte velvet lip pencil is also very similar, but its not as deep/cool-toned and has a matte finish, obviously. Being a satin lip pencil, Palais Royal is glossy and tends to highlight lip flakes, which is why I prefer Scarlet Empress for the semi-matte formula. The pencil packaging makes application easy but it has a tendency to smudge. I have satin lip pencils in MLBB shades and smudging is more forgiving for neutral colors, but with a dark shade like Palais Royal you want to make sure it stays put. Overall, a beautiful color but not the formula for me. Thankfully, there are similar colors within the NARS brand so there are several options to choose from.

About reviewer (1635 reviews)

SkinOther, Other, Warm

HairOther, Other, Other

EyesOther

5 years ago

Let me start with all the positives: this is an absolutely beautiful, rich deep purple color. And yes, I love purple - even my car is purple. I LOVE the fact that it's a pencil - so incredibly easy to apply. With this, I can apply inside the lines! I dropped a lippie for two reasons - at this price point, I think it could have better staying power, and two, I wish it were a bit creamier. Even with these two, I think the pros outweigh the areas for improvement.

About reviewer (83 reviews)

SkinCombination

HairBrown

EyesBrown

from

6 years ago

I tried this on in Sephora. The minute I put it on, it reminded me of something I had at home. I decided to wear it for a while and then compare it to colors in my collection when I got home. For reference I am medium-dark with yellow undertones - NC43 It is a little lighter shade of Lancome's Rouge in Love 391N Fierry Attitude which is around the same price ( Nars is $25, Lancome is $26). They are both in the berry wine/sangria family but Palais Royal is a little less creamy, a smidgen redder than the Lancome. The Lancome also has better staying power and is a dressier look. Although I like the application of a lip pencil vs a lipstick - it makes it easier IMHO- this is so much like the Lancome in color, I can't justify buying it right now. However when I run out of the Rouge in Love, I would consider purchasing this pencil as alternative. This would be great to toss in a small handbag and go.

About reviewer (117 reviews)

SkinCombination, Medium Brown, Warm