Laura Mercier Artist's Palette (holiday 2013)

Laura Mercier Artist's Palette (holiday 2013)
laura mercier artist palletelaura mercier artist pallete laura mercier artist pallete 2012, 2013

4.5

on 12/10/2017 8:26:00 PM

This was my first eyeshadow palette. Before getting this, I only had Mac Vintage Selection paint pot that I used when I was going out for a brightening effect on my lids. I was a minimum makeup wearer back then and I wanted to slowly ease into eyeshadows. I was thinking I'll buy a MAC 4-color palette or Urban Decay Naked. But, I was just reading about secret camouflage and came across Laura Mercier. I did not do as much research back then - in terms of whether this was a neutral palette, a warm palette or a cool palette. I'm nc41 in studio fix powder + foundation (this is now a little orange on me) and Bobbi Brown Natural Tan 4.25. But, I was having a tan and was darker when I purchased this one. At first, I was very disappointed with this one. The color bamboo swatched very sheer. In fact I might have gotten a palette where bamboo was from a bad batch. It was hard and the brush didn't pick up any color. Over time, however I've used this fingers and after I made a significant dent, the product appears to pick up the color. I didn't like it at all for over a year and a half and I only used the darker shades - espresso bean, truffle, fresco, violent ink and African violet only once. In the hindsight, I think a lot of the colors are too light for me. People call this a cool neutral palette - I'm neutral with less yellow than an average Indian Skin tone. I like the colors in this palette on me. It is not overly cool that it turns ashy on me. However, someone with my skin tone surely needs a lid neutralizing primer like a paint pot to help show the colors better. I have pigmented lids too and I find that the lighter colors show up better with a primer. After a year and a half, I bought some other shadows Camel from Bobbi Brown and a mini Bobbi Brown neutral palette as a gift and some Bobbi Brown cream shadows - stone, taupe. I also started watching Hannah Martin's videos. Then I picked up my LM artist palette again and I applied it over a cream shadow. I never used the lighter colors in the palette much and I found them grey and ashy. On top of the cream shadows, they looked amazing and true to pan color. Also, even swatched many MAC, UD and Bobbi Brown during this period and I haven't found a better eyeshadow formula than LM. Now that I've found a way to use the lighter colors in the palette too under a cream shadow, I am liking it a lot better. I cannot return used makeup in my country and so I'm trying my best to make it work.

Pros:
- best best formula of powder eyeshadows. Very buttery and applies smooth.
- very good pigmentation
- all colors apply smooth and pigmentation is amazing.
- darker shades are excellent. I find the undertones in violet ink and espresso bean and truffle will work well on all skin tones. The darker shades are a dream to work with in terms of the formula too.
- great palette for very light skin tones as you could use all colors with little or no help from a primer.
- color selection is well coordinated. Every color works well with others in the spectrum. Top is cool and bottom colors are warm I guess.

Cons:
- not a must have for me. Not a must have for anyone my skin tone as you can't just slap the color on and it just works for you. You have make lighter ones work better with a primer. I suggest buying separate LM shadows. The palette is however amazing value for money if all colors work on you.
- lighter colors look very similar. Guava (light beige) and primrose (a light pink hue). Sparkling dew is also similar to guava in tone.
- the pigmentation and color can mean differently to different people. I find the colors are natural, subtle and muted, but pigmentation very good. For instance, I expected African Violet to be a rich purple-gold based on swatches. It is good color however not a very bright color if you will. If your tastes are more bright this palette may not be for you.

on 5/7/2016 10:38:00 AM

I am so glad I picked this up. I have never tried Laura Mercier products, and saw the reviews and wanted to get a new palette this spring. The quality of these shadows is good, softer than UD but less powdery and less fallout than LORAC. The mattes here are not chalky. Very blendable. There are neutrals here, but most of the colors lean purple. Purples can be a hard color to make into a quality eye shadow, but I find these purples pigmented and smooth.

I have lots of issues with traditional smokey eyes. Silver/gray/black ones look like I have been punched in the eyes and make my skin look sallow. Warm/brown methods make me look sick, like jaundiced. Basically, my neutral pale skin looks horrible with colors that lean too warm or too cool. Purples seem to strike a good balance, kind of like rose golds. This palette easily creates a striking, flattering smokey eye that doesn't clash with my pale skin.

Oh and yes, African Violet is just as beautiful as everyone says. Bamboo is the other standout for me, it is absolutely perfect for adding soft smokiness to my crease. The only dud for me is Gauva, I would prefer a bit more pigmented. But really, only one dud shade in a palette is pretty good!

on 5/30/2015 6:17:00 PM

I saw Temptalia's frantic post that this pallet was back at Sephora and had watched many YT personalities tout this as a HG for the last couple years; so obviously, I had to have it...

PROS:
- The packaging, I like that there is a large mirror and it is relatively compact. I really like that they updated the faux croc skin to a classy flower pattern. (I dislike the puffy top but its whatever)
- Eyeshadows:
AFRICAN VIOLET is my favourite of all of the shadows and when I use this pallet I always end up using this shadow. This shadow has a great formulation, as it is soft and applies true to pan.

CONS:
- I don't think this pallet is necessary unless you are a purple lover. Personally, I don't think the shades are that special because I feel you could find similar shades sold individually; but on the other hand, I don't think there are purple based pallets out there to rival this pallet.
- Eyeshadows:
I have swatched some of the eyeshadows with clean fingers and used brushes to apply the eyeshadows. The matte shadows have started to get a hard layer on the top (crusty shadows...). The matte shadows aren't as soft as I like shadows to be (UD, Lorac, WnW, etc. are all doing it better). I find the texture lends to these shadows not being as vibrant. I have had this pallet a month and I have already had to scrape VANILLA NUTS which sounds hilarious but is actually a little sad. I didn't pay a lot of money to have to scrape my VANILLA NUTS ;P

I wouldn't ever repurchase this but I wouldn't throw it away either. I wanted to love this pallet like I love UD Naked 1 or Kat Von D Esperanza but sadly I don't... I feel like this pallet maybe a little too mature for me.

on 10/9/2015 10:29:00 PM

I adore this palette and I received it for my birthday and I cannot stop using it. I wasn't able to get this when it first came out so now that it's permanent I was so happy. So when I received this I could not wait to play with it. I'm cool toned, very fair, and have green eyes so this palette is really suited for my needs. I have been using it on the daily and this palette does not disappoint.

The shadows themselves are so soft and buttery. They blend like a dream and the pigmentation is beyond on point. Being cool toned what made me most happy is that I can use every shade in this and make it work! They are not super warm or cool but more in the middle so more people can use all the shades. I can say I haven't gotten this excited over a palette in a while. This is all I want and then some. For reference I use NARS Monte Blanc am around a NW20 and use BR20 in YSL for reference and I'm always the lightest shade it seems.

This is how I use the shades: Vanilla Nuts awesome all over lid and brow bone shade or to blend out darker colours. Guava inner eye highlight so pretty!Sparkling Dew amazing brow bone highlight btw. It has shimmer but not overdone at all.Plum Smoke so pretty in the crease and as a transition shade. Primrose perfect lid and inner eye h/l shade.
Fresco love in the crease as a pale girl it is like a contour shade on me. African Violet is soo pretty I use it on the lid and as a light liner with Violet Ink. It will not go on super vibrant without NYX Milk or some sort of base for me. Kir Royal is so pretty and makes a great liner and lid shade. Bamboo I just love in my crease and it goes so well with any shade in this palette. Truffle is great in the crease or as a liner on me. It's very dark on my pale self. Finally Espresso Bean is an awesome liner for me.

So I use every shade and I love each one. Considering how much Laura Mercier single shadows cost this is still a great deal. The packaging is so perfect and easy for travel. It's small but holds shadows that I can use without needing other palettes. It has enough variety for me and it really is all I need. I like the new packaging the inside is what counts but it's pretty. I like the flowers and the magnet is no joke it holds it together well! This is an amazing array of shadows that I'm very happy to have in my life. I'm a palette collector and if you are too and these colours apply to you and your skintone it's definitely one to own. Recommended!

on 5/31/2015 9:05:00 PM

This is my HG palette. All the shadows are beautiful, and the texture is perfect. My eyes are a hard to define grey/blue/green color and this palette really makes them pop in a way I've never been able to achieve before!

Only "drawback" is that it doesn't include a brush, but a lot of palettes don't. Everyone has different preferences in brushes, anyway. Plus, it'd probably just make the price go up. I love the packaging and that it's just the right size for a makeup bag/travel. :)

Don't have to much to say that everyone else hasn't! Just love this palette, I need to get a backup!

on 4/22/2015 11:18:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

I drooled over this palette in 2013 but I couldn't justify the price at that point in time. As soon as it went off the market & disappeared I instantly regretted not jumping on one when I had the chance. This eye shadow palette is "my one that got away". ;)

Flash forward to last month, Sephora re-released this gem. Knowing that it's limited edition, I quickly bought one with no hesitation. After all, no one wants to make the same mistake twice. I am SO GLAD I did.

There's a chance those writing negative reviews claiming this palette is low quality just got a bad batch. Every shade is buttery & packed with pigment. I have green eyes and this palette does them justice. Additionally, I am very pale. I have had to veto a lot of the popular eyeshadow palettes out there due to most of the shades passing as an eyeliner on my coloring.

To be completely honest I am tempted to order a back up. This palette is limited edition & the shades are unique enough that duping this would never be easy.

on 4/9/2014 7:48:00 AM

This is my first Laura Mercier purchase and I am very, very happy with it. Not only are the colors great, but so is the texture of the eyeshadows, too - very easy to blend. The variety of the colors means I can use them in so many different combinations to create many different looks.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Other, Straight, Medium

I don't know if I can say anything more than what's already been said about this incredible palette. It's practically perfect in every way...from the buttery, smooth textures to the amazing variety of finishes to the sleek and stylish packaging. It's just worth it. The only thing I would change is adding a dual-ended brush or at least a tray for a brush so it would be completely self-contained in its portability. However, as it stands, it's pretty much one of my favorite makeup purchases of all time.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

My favorite palette of 2013 and one of my favorites of all time. The palette is very beautiful and versatile. It is a mix of creams, purples, pinks and browns. You can create a multitude of looks from soft, neutral, smoky or colorful. The shadows are creamy, highly pigmented and long lasting. This was my first purchase from Laura Mercier and I will definitely get more products from the brand in the future.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

This palette is pure perfection. I adore purple - both shimmer and matte, so it was a given that I was going to get the Artist palette.

The quality is phenomenal. The shadows are buttery smooth and pigmented. Easy to work with and the palette itself is sleek and compact.

African Violet has really won my heart over - I've already made a huge dent in that particular colour. I love pairing it with any kind of gold shade for a festive look.

I'm also really impressed with the matte shades (Kir Royale being my fave) as they're not powdery at all. They're just as easy to work with as the shimmery shades and I find them to be even more pigmented.

Guava is the only shade I feel is a little meh. Vanilla Nuts is great, and I like Sparkling Dew for something more shimmery. Guava feels a little too glittery and out of place in the palette.

Other than that, the shades are easily paired together for beautiful looks and I feel like you can accomplish all kinds of looks with the palette. Definitely worth the price.