Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Filtered by eye Color : Hazel
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.4

on 11/29/2016 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

(For reference, I'm an NC15 skin tone)

After people raved about this palette, I was so excited to get it, but 6 months later, I'm still not impressed with it. There are three shades in the palette, which I'll review individually;

Dim light- this powder is fine and doesn't cake at all, but I have to be VERY light handed with it or it seems to remove my foundation/excessively bronze me. You probably won't have this problem if you're not ridiculously pale

Incandescent light- if Satan was a powder, this would be the one. Once again it's quite fine, but has more glitter than sheen to it; I find the glitter in it to be quite chunky, so it doesn't work as a powder or as a highlight unless you like the chunky glitter look. It's quite dusty too, so wouldn't work as an eyeshadow.

Radiant light- this powder is far too orange-toned for me, so I can find absolutely no use for it. It might be more effective for someone with an olive skin tone.

All in all, I don't find anything particularly impressive about this palette, nor do I find it versatile. It could potentially be good for someone who isn't as pale as me, but I really don't see what the hype is about. For the size of the palette, I think the price (£58) is ridiculous.

I'd say the main positive is the packaging, which is sleek and has a good sized mirror. Everything else is rather average.

on 7/28/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The formula of the Ambient Lighting powders is really worth the moderately-high $62 price point. Each of the three powders are very finely milled and will not settle into fine lines or become cakey after wearing throughout the day. And although I find that this palette does not function as a traditional highlighting palette (think: ABH glow-kit or the Mary-Lou Manizer), I find that each shade works in a completely different, subtle, and successful way.

Dim: To set concealer and foundation, I lightly sweep Dim all over my base with a fluffy powder brush. The Dim Light powder subtly softens and illuminates the appearance of the skin without looking powdery or shimmery.

Incandescent: Of the three, this shade most closely resembles a highlighter and is perfect for setting the undereye area. I also use Incandescent on top of my blush for a soft, airbrushed glow.

Radiant: Because I have very pale skin and this shade is darker than my skin tone, I use this powder around the perimeter of my face as a very subtle, glowy bronzer.

Unfortunately, I do not often use the Radiant Light powder as the color is a bit too dark for me. For this reason, I would not repurchase the palette but would instead buy full-sized singles of Dim and Incandescent.

on 4/8/2015 1:08:00 AM

I've had this for probably five months now and I've maybe used it eight times. I'm still trying to fall in love with this like so many others but the pallet so toon may not be the right fit for me. The packaging is luxurious and the formula is great. I swatched it in the store and it looked beautiful. Saved up to buy this and got it. Have tried numerous times to try contouring with it a bit of just use it as a light dusted highlight...., I'm not wowed. The color I thought I'd love ( Dim) It looks too pink on my NC20 skin tone. I like the radiance and incandescent. But I feel like my MAC skin finish singles I've used as a setting powder work better.I would not repurchase

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This is one product I use everyday in some way. I would repurchase the palette again, but would 100% repurchase Dim and Radiant light in the single when I run out. Since Incandescent light is exclusive to the palette I would probably go with Luminous Light. Dim light has been my go to finishing powder. I use my It Cosmetics Stippling Brush which is quite big and when I'm done with all my makeup I lightly sweep this over my entire face. It blurs my pores and fine lines and gives a lovely glow. I apply radiant light with a big powder brush on top of my bronzer and it adds a hint of warmth but again gives you a natural sun kissed glow. Incandescent Light is a lovely highlight for a natural everyday look IMO. I think this is worth every penny and I'm curious to try more colors.

on 2/7/2015 4:31:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

Love it! No animal testing (thankyou Hourglass as this has started to be a dealbreaker for me) and all three colours in the palette are purrrfect! I purchased it with a Christmas voucher and if I could walk around with a handmirror to admire myself - I would! But don't/can't. I use the Radiant Light ( hope I'm reading the names underneath in the correct order) lightly over my foundation with a big powder brush which wipes a few years off, then the middle one Incandescent across my eyelids with a fat eyeshadow brush and top of my cheekbones and cupid's bow then the Dim Light as a contour using a buffing brush. Takes 2 minutes, looks amazing and lasts all day. Someone at work actually said " what have you done? you look good" ( thanks I think!). I'm delighted! My skin colour is basic beige ( Chanel #30 usually during our Aussie summer), combination - oh forgot to say I'm not shining at lunchtime either now but I did reapply one night when I got home just to see it caked/got heavy/looked dreadful and it didn't. Its FABULOUS!

on 8/7/2014 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've been eyeing the individual Ambient powders for so long but could never decide on a shade. I had no idea what kind of "lighting effect" I wanted, and being so pale I felt like a lot of the colors would just end up being too deep for my skin tone. This palette has been on my mind since it was released and I finally decided to buy it two weeks ago. Overall I think it's a great product. I think it being considered "necessary" depends on a person's particular needs and if that person feels it's adding something special to their makeup routine. Everyone's going to have a different experience with it.

I've been using Chanel's Perfection Lumire Velvet foundation this summer, which has a more satin/matte finish, so I like the extra glow this palette gives my skin. I find the effect similar to what I get using Guerlain's pressed meteorites powder, though that's more sheer and shimmery. For reference my skin is normal with occasional dry or combination areas, and very sensitive.

Here's a few of my past and current foundations for a color reference:
Chanel Perfection Lumire Velvet in 10 Beige
Laura Mercier TM in Porcelain
MUFE Duo Mat Powder Foundation in 200
YSL Touche Eclat in B10

Here's how I use the powders:

Dim Light- I use all over to set my foundation. It's doesn't seem to add any color to my skin, only a softening, luminescent effect that's very subtle. It looks neutral to cool beige to my eyes and I love that it brightens my face without the need for a dewy, more moisturizing foundation underneath.

Incandescent Light- This I use as a highlighter on the tops of my cheekbones, my brow bones, and down the center of my nose. Sometimes I use it to set my under eye concealer too. It's a pale, neutral white-beige that has more shimmer than the other two powders but still doesn't read as sparkly or over the top.

Radiant Light- I like this as a blush/bronzer and dust it over my cheeks and chin and forehead rather than using it in a contour type of way. It adds some healthy summer looking color to my skin while still being subtle and not giving me that traditionally bronzed appearance. On my skin it looks like a warm, light golden-copper tone.

I really like the soft texture, though they're incredibly powdery so it tends to get all over the palette every time I swirl my brush around. Luckily it doesn't translate as a dusty or dry effect once its on my skin. Blends well and feels comfortable on.

I don't think they're as subtle as I was expecting based on blog swatches and reviews. They're definitely luminescent to certain degrees so I can see how they might be off-putting to those who like a more mattifying effect in their powders. And yes the palette itself is quite small for the price. But a little goes a long way and since I use two of the powders in light doses (as highlighter and bronzer/blush) I think it's going to go a long way for me. Having this I don't feel like I'd want to buy any of the individual Ambient Powders now since this covers basically anything I'd really need as far as a finishing powder goes. So at least it killed that ongoing lemming!

I don't regret purchasing this and overall I think it's a lovely, quality palette. Would I buy it again? I'm not sure... especially considering how many other great powders are out there. But for now I'm saying yes I would repurchase.

Amazing powders, thought this palette is a total RIP OFF for the amount you get. There's only 9 grams in the whole thing! At $67, I would expect to get a little more...

Anywhoo, face looks flawless, love how lux it makes my skin look. Soft, matte, and luminous all at the same time. Works great with my combo-oily skin. Stays all day. Super sexy in the summer heat- no lie.

Though I always love to try new things, I would still buy it again.

on 4/22/2014 3:07:00 PM

The one reviewer gave a great description of the product but I'm going to take this a little different for us gals a bit older and a little more afraid of too much shimmer. I've been wanting to try the Dim light powder as the color and effect appealed to me. But at $45 I kept balking. Then I came across this beauty on Sephora and getting 3 for $59 especially with the one color only being available in the pallet sold me. I think this product is the bomb for mature skin and gives radiance without making you look like a disco ball.

The pallet is long a beautiful brown metallic in look and very sturdy. The product itself is small but you do not need to use a lot and unless you are covering your body in this it should last quite a while the colors are:

Dim light - a beige non shimmer that I won't say mattifies because would indicate the look is flat it's not. It's a VERY subtle illumination of the skin. I use it after makeup and even take it down into my decolletage if I want something subtle. The only skin tone that might have a little trouble with this is olive but then again I think it depends on the individual.

Incandescent - a subtle shimmer and the brightest of the 3. It doesn't show up white on me but a creamy slightly shimmer. I use it under my eyes around my hairline in my cupids bow or under my lower lip. I've also use this in my decolletage for a little punch. This is not chunky glitter but more of a bright glow. This shade is exclusive to the pallet only.

Radiant - a peachy warm toned shimmer. I love it on my neutral skin over my blush and in my hair line. This one I will probably use the least but I'm experimenting still. Again the shimmer is so subtle mature skin can use it without feeling like they've overdone the shimmer

I love this pallet and glad I decided to try the hour glass products this way. If the pallet is available when I need a refill I will repurchase it. If not I will probably purchase Dim light only. I agree with the other reviewer it's not necessarily a must have however if you are looking for a highlighter the 3 of these if you split them down are about the cost of a regular good highlighter and you will not need to use much to get the desired effect.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have oily skin and huge pores. My skin type also hates silicones, so I usually just deal with the pores and exfoliate / moisturize regularly. This is the first non irritating product to somewhat diminish my pore size visually (MUFE HD Primer can somewhat, not as well though, it's mostly there for longevity). What I really like is the natural 'radiance' it adds to my skin without looking cakey. I use so many mattifying products my face can seem odd and unnatural. The three together work to impart a glow I just love and even my husband notices.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Ladies, if you want this you'd better get it! It sold out at Sephora during the 20% off sale but I just checked and it's still available on Hourglass's website. But you may want to read my comments on the value of this vs. the individual powders below.

I've lemmed these powders since they came out and couldn't justify the price, especially when I couldn't figure out which color to get, and the claims just seem so unbelievable. Unfortunately, you get much less product with this palette (0.116 oz, or 3.3g) for $58.00, vs. a single powder with 0.35 oz, or approximately 11 grams, for $45.00. Personally, I have yet to hit pan on a highlighter since you have to apply them with such a light hand; also, I preferred to have the 3 options. So I don't regret the decision to get the palette.

I find the packaging to be quite chic, in the metallic brown that is Hourglass's packaging hallmark. It does take fingerprints like crazy. It's a heavy duty plastic with a strong closure, and comes with a nicely sized mirror. Btw, the powders don't have any chalkiness of fallout so they don't muck up the mirror much at all.

I found after some experimentation that they do in fact create subtle but different effects on my skin. I have fair-to-light skin, neutral in tone, that has a lot of redness to cover. None of these played a role in camouflaging redness in any way, and they don't claim to. They are all very, very finely milled. You won't find any glitter here, but the shimmery varies from shade to shade. Here's what I discovered about each shade, going from the left to right side of the palette:

Dim Light: the only one of the three that has absolutely no shimmer. A completely neutral beige tone. Of the three, this is probably the one that truly acted as a straight up finishing powder. It blurred away some large pores and texture issues well. I used it over Revlon Colorstay Whipped, and it just puts some radiance back into my skin after the mattifying affect of the foundation. On a good skin day I actually wore this without any foundation and it looked beautiful, just taking the pores down a notch and making me look like I just had sex. Probably my favorite shade in this palette, and the one I'd be most likely to repurchase if I ran out. Love it!

Incandescent Light: pretty much a straight-up highlighter. This has the teeniest bits of microshimmer, and it's a very pale pearly cream color, maybe with the slightest touch of peach. Didn't emphasize pores at all. If you really packed it on, it probably would, but you would have to use a trowel. Definitely my new favorite highlighter, but I don't know if I'd buy it separately for $45.00. Not that it matters, as this shade can only be bought in this palette and isn't sold individually.

Radiant Light: such a cool powder! This had probably the most noticeable color on my skin, as it's a slightly tawny gold and I have absolutely no yellow undertone in my face. It also has some microshimmer, but you won't see "glitter" when you apply it. I kind of use it as a bronzer, as it just warms my skin up a teeny bit.

I will say, this is in no way a must-have. It will not cover blemishes, or completely eliminate pores or do anything dramatic. The effects are very, very subtle. I had to play around with them for a couple of weeks to figure out how each shade would work for me and what role it would play in my makeup routine. I'm sorry, but there's just no easy or definite answer to the question, "Should I get this?" Factor in your own skin type and tone, and divide that by the money factor and maybe you'll get your answer. Or if, like me, you just WANT it, you may find an excuse to treat yourself. :)