Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Filtered by hair type : Straight
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.3

on 5/7/2018 8:34:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

This is very nice, luxury product, but unfortunately not suitable for me with my fair complexion. The package is beautiful, a very sturdy palette with a mirror. The powders are very finely milled and soooo soft and nice that I could play with them all day, but: not on my face. The palette contains three shades: (I am NW15-20 for reference)
- Dim light: a skin-colour (for me) powder with a faint shimmer throughout. As a highlighter it is beautiful but very, very subtle (even for my beloved soft glow from within-look) and as a finishing powder it is too shimmery, even for my undereyes. I have oily skin so I avoid shimmer unless they're in my eyeshadow, blush or highlighter.
- Incandescent light: a more transparant powder with visible shimmer particles/glitter to it, so a no-no for a highlighter imo. Because it has virtually no background colour I didn't know how to use it any other way.
- Radiant light: this shade is too bronzy/orange for me, so I didn't find a good use for it either. I don't like shimmery bronzers so maybe as an eyeshadow...
In short: they are truly beautiful powders which feel so nice to the touch, but they just don't suit my needs/preferences. And for the hefty price tag I can buy a lot of other, affordable highlighters or finishing powders which do work for me/my skin tone. I just can't justify the value vs cost.

I've purchased this twice and would probably repurchase again. A great finishing powder that adds a healthy glow to your make up. I use this everyday over my mineral powder foundation and this has lasted over a year! Love this hourglass lighting powder palette. It's also cruelty free which is great!

on 2/1/2017 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I was not expecting this to live up to the hype- but it surpassed my expectations.
So, I have sensitive skin, treated with accutane (just finished the course, now on 'maintenance dose'), so it's a little bit dry but now blemish free.
I use GA luminous silk (LS)foundation (HG btw), so I was worried that using a finishing powder would diminish the luminous finish. Not so! I use dim light all over and I find it really does give my skin an airbrushed, 'filtered' finish! Seriously amazing. My skin looks softer, pores far less visible, all over glowy and luminous. The colour is perfect for my medium skin (5.5 in LS).
I use incandescent as a highlighter on my brow-bones, a little in the middle of my forehead, chin and down my nose. I feel that this provides the perfect amount of shine: doesn't look glittery, sparkly or oily. Absolutely perfect for contouring.
The only disappointment -in terms of colour- is radiant light. The colour is way too orange for me- makes me look like an oompa loompa.
The textures of these powders is super-fine. It's easy to get enough product on your brush. The only problem here is the shape of the powders and the compact. Because theyre pyramid shaped, excess powder rolls down the sides and accumulates, becoming trapped in the edges of the pan. After only a few uses I have heaps on loose powder in the sides, back of the palette. Such a waste.
As for staying power, I'm pretty impressed. Seems to last the whole day (also thanks to my UD setting spray), doesn't go cakey or clog pores.
Overall, I love this palette! Two AMAZING shades out of three aint bad (and maybe I can use radiant as an eye-shadow...). Really makes my skin looks airbrushed! The claims are true- makes your skin look like it's in perfect lighting.
i think I'll buy the travel sized dim light to keep in my purse at all times :)
Definitely worth trying this one, ladies!

on 4/9/2016 9:20:00 AM

This is by far the best highlighting palette i have ever used!

Fyi, I have oily, blemish prone and sensitive skin user. I currently live in humid conditions, ranging about 91.4 °F, my current foundations shades include Bareminerals serum foundation 07 bare natural, Stila foundation Hue 5.

This is the most expensive makeup product I have by far. Unlike most ppl, I didn't jump on the bandwagon immediately when this product came out, and I only decided to purchase it about a year later since it was so highly raved and I was still living on a budget. Costs about $120 in my country.

If you're about the "cake face" that is all about foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, blush, contour and strong highlight like you see on IG and tumblr pics, I can tell you right away that this is NOT the product for you. There is nothing wrong about the cake face, but this product and the brand emphasizes on the "glowing from within" look.

When i first purchased it, i have to admit that i was sorely disappointed - only because i thought it was a product that would give me a very strong "bam" highlight that you see on IG. When i first applied it with a fan brush it looked nothing like I wanted. And i never wanted to do a review on here because everyone kept raving about it and i never understood it. I threw it aside for about 6 months before i started using it recently.

I will say first that I have so far only used "Dim light", the two other shades are beautiful when i swatched it but i haven't gotten around to using it yet, but i know i wouldn't be disappointed this time round.

Why do i love it now? Recently i've been going for the youthful, "glowing from within" look. And this product, along with this brand is everything that emphasizes this look. Its not about having a strong highlight and heavy contour, its about enhancing what you have and bringing out a youthful, radiant look.

Again, when i started using it with a fan brush, I realized how natural it looks with just one sweep. It is very pigmented. Its not strong, but not subtle either. It instantly gives you that you've just been hit with the sunlight look but yet looks extremely natural. I love it.

Longevity wise, I feel that it lasts about the average max 6-8hrs. When i apply makeup, i do use a makeup setting spray (currently using UD all nighter makeup setting spray, HG for oily girls like me). However i don't think this product ever claimed to be long lasting. So I can look past that.

All in all,
Pros:
+ versatile, 3 shades for variety
+ sleek packaging
+ pigmentation is good
+ a little goes a very long way
+ buildable coverage if you want a bit more highlight
+ natural, radiant looking

Cons:
- possibly the price
- longevity wise, i feel like wearing time could be longer

Will i repurchase this palette again? Probably not, because of the price and this product does go a very long way, i feel that i can only use it up after a few years, who knows by then other competitors might come out a similar palette but at a cheaper rate.

HOWEVER, i will say though that for the price that you pay for this product, it is very worth it. You get 3 shades, a good sized mirror, and compact enough for travel. The quality of the product and the packaging speaks for itself, I am willing to pay the $120 because of that.

If anything, if i do run out of this palette, i could only imagine myself buying that one shade "dim light" powder as an individual because it is the shade that i am currently loving the most.

If you have never tried this brand or contemplating about this palette, i will say that it is something that you could try out if you want to splurge, because you won't be disappointed, if you have a better understanding about the brand itself. It is a good staple for your everyday look, but not something that you'd see yourself repurchasing again since its so expensive.

Hope this helps! :)

on 2/25/2016 7:46:00 AM

There is nothing quite like Hourglass Ambient powders - it is so fine and the effect is a sheen rather than shine. With combination skin I always struggle to achieve a dewy glow without looking shiny and greasy and this is my HG when it comes to subtle glow. I use the lighter two swirled together to set undereye concealer or remove bake and the darkest one as a subtle bronzer (NC15, so too dark otherwise). It soft-focuses pores and gives that lit-from-withing glow like you have a personal light assistant.
That said, if you want a strong hightlight or strobing, you'll definitely want to use another product on high points of cheekbones or applying this wet (I use Mac Fix+ to moisten my fan brush and apply just to high points).

on 1/21/2016 6:57:00 PM

This palette is so pretty! I love that it gives a subtle glow but can also give a nice luminous finish as a setting powder.

on 1/6/2016 9:37:00 AM

I was interested in the Hourglass ambient lighting palette because I had heard a lot of good things about their powders. I am very pale and I have one of two problems with highlighters, they are either too dark on me or they don't show up at all. I really like this palette. It's easy to overdue it though. I added too much a few times and then I looked really shiny after application. It doesn't look like you're doing much to the skin but it sneaks up on you. I bought the palette just because the individual sizes are expensive and I wanted to try out more colors but not spend a fortune. The individual sizes are much larger than the palette sizes but if there is a certain color I like then I can buy the larger size. Overall, I'm happy with this set. This is a nice highlighting palette for people who want a more natural highlight. Candlelight is a good description. If used like you're supposed to, and not with such a heavy hand like I did, it makes a beautiful soft glow to anywhere you apply it.

on 10/10/2015 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Well first of all the price of Hourglass products is just ridiculous and over the top, however I think that's true of all high end cosmetics. These companies are laughing all the way to the bank but Hourglass is a brand that I have resisted for a long time as the price was just to high. Every time I go Sephora I would stop to admire the Hourglass products but then move along because of the cost. Finally I broke down and but a couple of their items including this palette.

I don't know how these powders work I just know that they do indeed work just like they are described. Interestingly I am most amazed by this palette when I use the powders on my bare face rather than on my made up face. Yes they look great over makeup but I use good quality foundation, concealer and powder already so while I'm pleased with how the powder looks on top of my makeup I am generally already happy with how my skin looks once my make up is on and the Hourglass powder is just a nice finishing touch but not holy grail amazing. However I am truly impressed when I wear these powders on a day that I'm not wearing any makeup at all. I often go without makeup but believe me it's not because I look great without makeup, it's just because I'm lazy...lol. My bare skin is generally very dull and dead looking, but if I sweep dim light all over my face and then incandescent light to the high points, followed by just a little Hourglass blush, well I can't really describe what it does but I'll try. I still look completely barefaced, people would think I'm not wearing any makeup at all, but somehow I look about 5 times better than I normally would without makeup. As it's not a foundation or a concealer of course it doesn't cover spots or even skin tone but it has this amazing ability to make me look healthy and youthful even with all of my skin imperfections. My skin just looks all aglow (in a natural way) and awake. I'm so impressed by that because even my tinted moisturizers and BB creams can't do what this product does. I will definitely repurchase.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hourglass is not available in Singapore. I heard so much about this that when I saw them in London, I bought not one palette, but two, despite the hefty price tag! Anyway, I share the same opinion as the reviewer below - doesn't make me prettier than if I were to use Bobbi Brown's Pale Yellow Powder, or Guerlain Meteriotes (compact). Also, I avoid Incandescent Light (center) on my T-zone/sides of nose. Don't want to add any shine. I am just trying to finish up both palettes. Most times I'll use a big brush, swipe through all three colours and then swipe over my face.

on 8/1/2015 6:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is good but I believe it is totally unnecessary. Is any face product worth $75? I looked at photos where I am wearing this, and then photos where I am wearing regular highlighters and powders, and there really is not a noticeable difference. I wanted to believe there was a miraculous change in my skin tone, subtle and mysterious, and it was worth it, but I had to admit that was not true. I got an equally good effect using drug store powders. If you can afford it, sure, it is nice, but it's not a miraculous effect by any means.