Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Filtered by skin type : Sensitive
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

on 2/1/2017 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I was not expecting this to live up to the hype- but it surpassed my expectations.
So, I have sensitive skin, treated with accutane (just finished the course, now on 'maintenance dose'), so it's a little bit dry but now blemish free.
I use GA luminous silk (LS)foundation (HG btw), so I was worried that using a finishing powder would diminish the luminous finish. Not so! I use dim light all over and I find it really does give my skin an airbrushed, 'filtered' finish! Seriously amazing. My skin looks softer, pores far less visible, all over glowy and luminous. The colour is perfect for my medium skin (5.5 in LS).
I use incandescent as a highlighter on my brow-bones, a little in the middle of my forehead, chin and down my nose. I feel that this provides the perfect amount of shine: doesn't look glittery, sparkly or oily. Absolutely perfect for contouring.
The only disappointment -in terms of colour- is radiant light. The colour is way too orange for me- makes me look like an oompa loompa.
The textures of these powders is super-fine. It's easy to get enough product on your brush. The only problem here is the shape of the powders and the compact. Because theyre pyramid shaped, excess powder rolls down the sides and accumulates, becoming trapped in the edges of the pan. After only a few uses I have heaps on loose powder in the sides, back of the palette. Such a waste.
As for staying power, I'm pretty impressed. Seems to last the whole day (also thanks to my UD setting spray), doesn't go cakey or clog pores.
Overall, I love this palette! Two AMAZING shades out of three aint bad (and maybe I can use radiant as an eye-shadow...). Really makes my skin looks airbrushed! The claims are true- makes your skin look like it's in perfect lighting.
i think I'll buy the travel sized dim light to keep in my purse at all times :)
Definitely worth trying this one, ladies!

on 7/28/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The formula of the Ambient Lighting powders is really worth the moderately-high $62 price point. Each of the three powders are very finely milled and will not settle into fine lines or become cakey after wearing throughout the day. And although I find that this palette does not function as a traditional highlighting palette (think: ABH glow-kit or the Mary-Lou Manizer), I find that each shade works in a completely different, subtle, and successful way.

Dim: To set concealer and foundation, I lightly sweep Dim all over my base with a fluffy powder brush. The Dim Light powder subtly softens and illuminates the appearance of the skin without looking powdery or shimmery.

Incandescent: Of the three, this shade most closely resembles a highlighter and is perfect for setting the undereye area. I also use Incandescent on top of my blush for a soft, airbrushed glow.

Radiant: Because I have very pale skin and this shade is darker than my skin tone, I use this powder around the perimeter of my face as a very subtle, glowy bronzer.

Unfortunately, I do not often use the Radiant Light powder as the color is a bit too dark for me. For this reason, I would not repurchase the palette but would instead buy full-sized singles of Dim and Incandescent.

on 4/14/2015 2:31:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Saw this a while back on the beauty blogs and had to get it! I know this is technically a "finishing powder," but because I'm lazy, I've been using it also as a setting powder with great results. I set my concealer with the lighter powder (incandescent light) and use the medium (dim light) for the rest of my face. I finish off by using the radiant light as a bronzer around the edges of my face. Doesn't replace my bronzer but gives a nice glow. A sephora worker told me she mixes dim and radiant light for an all over wash. I absolutely love this palette! I love the subtle glow it gives. If you hare that matte cakey look some powders give, brush this on top and it will make your skin look gorgeous.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

After reading all the positive reviews on the web, I bit the bullet and bought this product. I wanted to love it, as it was highly coveted by other sephora and MUA members... but my feelings for it were just lukewarm. The lightest color wasn't light enough on my skin- it just blended in. The medium color was too dark and yellow to be of any use- least of all to lowlight areas! The only color I'm able to use is the darkest because it's working as a light bronzer. I'm not even very happy with the results as they do not last all day like my tarte waterproof bronzer does nor look as natural as my guerlain bronzer for blondes does. If it wasn't so expensive I'd just hand it over to one of my tanner friends (who don't wear a lot of makeup)- but instead I'll probably give it to my mom who asked me for it- even though her skin is only 1-2 shades darker than mine, and the product won't show up on her either.

NOTE: If you're porcelain skinned, and 98% of foundation colors are too dark for you- do NOT buy this palette! Sorry, but seriously, it's just not worth it.

Video Reviews & Tutorials