Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Filtered by skin type : Oily
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.7

on 7/3/2016 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is such a hard product to get hold of in the UK so I had high hopes for it when I did. I wasn't disappointed. I use a large fan brush and dust all colours all over my face for a beautiful candlelit glow- it doesn't make my very oily skin look greasy which was a concern, it just works. NB. I don't use this as a setting powder - for that I use LM or RCMA, but I dust it on top to get rid of the horrid aging mattifying effect of powder. It really really works and is a definite repurchase despite the price. Update: It is now a year later and despite using this every day I am not even halfway down - so realistically it's very good value for money despite the initial outlay.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have oily skin and huge pores. My skin type also hates silicones, so I usually just deal with the pores and exfoliate / moisturize regularly. This is the first non irritating product to somewhat diminish my pore size visually (MUFE HD Primer can somewhat, not as well though, it's mostly there for longevity). What I really like is the natural 'radiance' it adds to my skin without looking cakey. I use so many mattifying products my face can seem odd and unnatural. The three together work to impart a glow I just love and even my husband notices.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Ladies, if you want this you'd better get it! It sold out at Sephora during the 20% off sale but I just checked and it's still available on Hourglass's website. But you may want to read my comments on the value of this vs. the individual powders below.

I've lemmed these powders since they came out and couldn't justify the price, especially when I couldn't figure out which color to get, and the claims just seem so unbelievable. Unfortunately, you get much less product with this palette (0.116 oz, or 3.3g) for $58.00, vs. a single powder with 0.35 oz, or approximately 11 grams, for $45.00. Personally, I have yet to hit pan on a highlighter since you have to apply them with such a light hand; also, I preferred to have the 3 options. So I don't regret the decision to get the palette.

I find the packaging to be quite chic, in the metallic brown that is Hourglass's packaging hallmark. It does take fingerprints like crazy. It's a heavy duty plastic with a strong closure, and comes with a nicely sized mirror. Btw, the powders don't have any chalkiness of fallout so they don't muck up the mirror much at all.

I found after some experimentation that they do in fact create subtle but different effects on my skin. I have fair-to-light skin, neutral in tone, that has a lot of redness to cover. None of these played a role in camouflaging redness in any way, and they don't claim to. They are all very, very finely milled. You won't find any glitter here, but the shimmery varies from shade to shade. Here's what I discovered about each shade, going from the left to right side of the palette:

Dim Light: the only one of the three that has absolutely no shimmer. A completely neutral beige tone. Of the three, this is probably the one that truly acted as a straight up finishing powder. It blurred away some large pores and texture issues well. I used it over Revlon Colorstay Whipped, and it just puts some radiance back into my skin after the mattifying affect of the foundation. On a good skin day I actually wore this without any foundation and it looked beautiful, just taking the pores down a notch and making me look like I just had sex. Probably my favorite shade in this palette, and the one I'd be most likely to repurchase if I ran out. Love it!

Incandescent Light: pretty much a straight-up highlighter. This has the teeniest bits of microshimmer, and it's a very pale pearly cream color, maybe with the slightest touch of peach. Didn't emphasize pores at all. If you really packed it on, it probably would, but you would have to use a trowel. Definitely my new favorite highlighter, but I don't know if I'd buy it separately for $45.00. Not that it matters, as this shade can only be bought in this palette and isn't sold individually.

Radiant Light: such a cool powder! This had probably the most noticeable color on my skin, as it's a slightly tawny gold and I have absolutely no yellow undertone in my face. It also has some microshimmer, but you won't see "glitter" when you apply it. I kind of use it as a bronzer, as it just warms my skin up a teeny bit.

I will say, this is in no way a must-have. It will not cover blemishes, or completely eliminate pores or do anything dramatic. The effects are very, very subtle. I had to play around with them for a couple of weeks to figure out how each shade would work for me and what role it would play in my makeup routine. I'm sorry, but there's just no easy or definite answer to the question, "Should I get this?" Factor in your own skin type and tone, and divide that by the money factor and maybe you'll get your answer. Or if, like me, you just WANT it, you may find an excuse to treat yourself. :)

Video Reviews & Tutorials