Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Filtered by skin type : Normal
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.4

Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure

Really brightens up your face, I mix dim light and radiant light and dust it all over my face and then take radiant light under my eyes to set my concealer. I use incandescent light to highlight my cheeks and nose. It makes you look glowy and refreshed. Go buy it!

on 10/8/2014 2:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I returned this because it didn't give me the highlight that I desire. It gives you a subtle... something, but it's not really a highlight. So if you're looking for something to really illuminate your cheeks, this is probably not the right product. But the quality is amazing. The powder is very very smooth and finely milled.

I use every one of these powders and love the quality of each. Dim is an amazing all-over finishing powder for my fair, aging skin that appreciates the slight blurring effect. Luminous is my only favored highlighter, as it is subtle and doesn't emphasize the fine lines. Radiant is too warm for a winter bronzer or contour for me but worked great as blush/ bronzer in summer, and I'm looking forward to seeing if it continues to provide a subtle nude blush in winter. It has a pink tinge that I much prefer to more orange-skewing bronzers.

I will likely use up Dim first and will absolutely repurchase, as it's really exceptional and the one "must have" of the palette.

My only complaint about the palette is minor: I find the pan sizes to be too small to accommodate most of my powder brushes without dipping into the neighboring pans. Not a deal breaker, but it does make it less convenient than individual compacts would be.

on 8/7/2014 2:48:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I've been eyeing the individual Ambient powders for so long but could never decide on a shade. I had no idea what kind of "lighting effect" I wanted, and being so pale I felt like a lot of the colors would just end up being too deep for my skin tone. This palette has been on my mind since it was released and I finally decided to buy it two weeks ago. Overall I think it's a great product. I think it being considered "necessary" depends on a person's particular needs and if that person feels it's adding something special to their makeup routine. Everyone's going to have a different experience with it.

I've been using Chanel's Perfection Lumire Velvet foundation this summer, which has a more satin/matte finish, so I like the extra glow this palette gives my skin. I find the effect similar to what I get using Guerlain's pressed meteorites powder, though that's more sheer and shimmery. For reference my skin is normal with occasional dry or combination areas, and very sensitive.

Here's a few of my past and current foundations for a color reference:
Chanel Perfection Lumire Velvet in 10 Beige
Laura Mercier TM in Porcelain
MUFE Duo Mat Powder Foundation in 200
YSL Touche Eclat in B10

Here's how I use the powders:

Dim Light- I use all over to set my foundation. It's doesn't seem to add any color to my skin, only a softening, luminescent effect that's very subtle. It looks neutral to cool beige to my eyes and I love that it brightens my face without the need for a dewy, more moisturizing foundation underneath.

Incandescent Light- This I use as a highlighter on the tops of my cheekbones, my brow bones, and down the center of my nose. Sometimes I use it to set my under eye concealer too. It's a pale, neutral white-beige that has more shimmer than the other two powders but still doesn't read as sparkly or over the top.

Radiant Light- I like this as a blush/bronzer and dust it over my cheeks and chin and forehead rather than using it in a contour type of way. It adds some healthy summer looking color to my skin while still being subtle and not giving me that traditionally bronzed appearance. On my skin it looks like a warm, light golden-copper tone.

I really like the soft texture, though they're incredibly powdery so it tends to get all over the palette every time I swirl my brush around. Luckily it doesn't translate as a dusty or dry effect once its on my skin. Blends well and feels comfortable on.

I don't think they're as subtle as I was expecting based on blog swatches and reviews. They're definitely luminescent to certain degrees so I can see how they might be off-putting to those who like a more mattifying effect in their powders. And yes the palette itself is quite small for the price. But a little goes a long way and since I use two of the powders in light doses (as highlighter and bronzer/blush) I think it's going to go a long way for me. Having this I don't feel like I'd want to buy any of the individual Ambient Powders now since this covers basically anything I'd really need as far as a finishing powder goes. So at least it killed that ongoing lemming!

I don't regret purchasing this and overall I think it's a lovely, quality palette. Would I buy it again? I'm not sure... especially considering how many other great powders are out there. But for now I'm saying yes I would repurchase.

on 10/21/2013 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I own A LOT of highlighters, mostly because I was searching for this one. I couldn't resist the opportunity to try three in a palette, so rushed to Sephora to pick it up.

Dim light is the one I used all over my face as a finishing powder. It blurred fine lines and pores, while giving a bit of a dewy look to my face. I used the other two more specifically...The lighter color as a highlighter and bronzy one under my blush and bronzer. When all three are on my face I am really fabulous. I don't find the quantity small..I think this will last at least 10 months to a year with daily use....The price? Yes it's expensive, but I can justify with all the money I've wasted on lesser products. Mind you I can justify anything I really like, and I really like this. Even the packaging is stellar. Was toying with buying the new Guerlain Crazy in Paris, but I just don't see how it could beat this one...who am I kidding? I know I'll buy the Guerlain one, too. You can't glow enough.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I did not want to love this palette, and because I already own the "Ethereal Light" ambient powder, which is pretty, but I rarely use it, I was planning on ignoring it....HOWever, I was in Sephora the other day and while walking out, it caught my eye (Like a shining beacon of light!) and I felt myself floating over to the display. I slapped on the "Incandescent Light" under my eyes (think cheekbone area) and left the store. The whole way home and all day long, I kept looking in the mirror admiring my skin, which looked absolutely flawless, radiant and poreless. I kept trying to talk myself out of returning to Sephora, and telling myself that I had dupes available (i.e. Smashbox Halo powder, Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight, etc etc), but that did not convince me. Nothing I have ever seen imitates the beautiful pinkish/yellowish/glowing product. SO, long story short, I went back and owned this palette. I absolutely LOVE it, the Incandescent light goes with anything I am wearing on my face (foundation, powder, or nothing), the Dim Light melts into my skin and works as a setting powder, making my skin flawless. The only thing is that I haven't quite figured out how to use the third color, however I am sure I will. Great product, expensive, yes, but way worth it!!

This is a limited edition product & I think a lot of people are excited about this, so here we go...

The first thing you need to know about this palette is that it's extremely SMALL. It's about as wide and only slightly longer than an iPhone 4. The pans of product themselves are only a little larger than, say, a Laura Mercier eye shadow single. Nowhere on any website could I find in the product description exactly how much product each pan contained which I thought was a bit shady. Thankfully Karen over @ Makeupandbeautyblog had the details: "you get three pans of 0.116 ounces for a total of 0.348 ounces of powder for about 20% more that the cost of a single full-sized one". Definitely keep this in mind if you're thinking about purchasing this palette! Also, for $58 the packaging feels quite flimsy, IMO. While the design is beautiful, there's little to no weight to it.

I purchased this palette because I had never tried any of the Ambient Lighting powders so I thought this would be a great way to try them. These powders are outstanding! They're very silky & smooth and have excellent longevity. Dim light gives a lovely airbrushed look to the skin, Radiant light is great for warming up the skin, and the new shade Incandescent light is a STUNNING highlight. I will absolutely be using these powders in my every day routine so I'm glad I have it. You can definitely carry this palette in your purse for touch ups (it does include a nice mirror) but to be honest the powders set my make-up so well that I didn't need to touch up my face the entire day.

That being said - if I did not fall completely in love with all three of these powders I would return this palette to Sephora because of the above complaints. I think this palette is quite over priced. If I didn't pay for the majority of this item with a gift card I would feel extremely slighted by the size of the product. I think this would be easier to stomach at a $45-50 price point but at nearly $60 you're paying more for less. The palette also comes with a sample of the Mineral Veil primer which comes with quite a generous amount of product & works great - but still, SIXTY DOLLARS. I would highly recommend checking this palette out in stores rather than ordering it online because you may be disappointed in the size.