Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Filtered by skin type : Dry
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

3.9

on 9/10/2015 9:04:00 PM

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Um.... Clearly I was bitten by the hype bug yet again on this pricey @ss and totally unnecessary purchase.

Let me first say (before people try to explain away this product) that I am already very aware this is a finishing product which is very subtly supposed to mimic certain/specific lighting which is flattering. I also know as a finisher product the intent is to bring your makeup "back to life" aft it's all been applied, sort of un-matte the flat look. Now with all that said...

I have absolutely no clue as to how so many other NC-30 or Nars Stromboli skin shaded folks are making this work to the point of HG status - I am completely underwhelmed. There is a big difference btw subtle and undetectable - and I am only getting the later. The formulation and feel is also not as amazingly smooth and innovative as it was hyped up to be IMO. I mean seriously L'Oreal Lumi powder feels way more silky to me. Last but not least I really expected these shades to resemble the sakes when featured in mags, boutique (Sephora etc) catalog, and online; I was very surprised to open this and see how similar the shades are to one another when all of the photos show them very differently. Honestly had I known that ahead of time I would have purchased one indivdually for $45 to try out instead of the $65 I paid at Nordys.

Maybe it's just me, I dunno, but this palette did nothing for me. Maybe if I was lighter it would have worked for me. I give this a thumbs down.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hourglass is not available in Singapore. I heard so much about this that when I saw them in London, I bought not one palette, but two, despite the hefty price tag! Anyway, I share the same opinion as the reviewer below - doesn't make me prettier than if I were to use Bobbi Brown's Pale Yellow Powder, or Guerlain Meteriotes (compact). Also, I avoid Incandescent Light (center) on my T-zone/sides of nose. Don't want to add any shine. I am just trying to finish up both palettes. Most times I'll use a big brush, swipe through all three colours and then swipe over my face.

on 8/1/2015 6:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is good but I believe it is totally unnecessary. Is any face product worth $75? I looked at photos where I am wearing this, and then photos where I am wearing regular highlighters and powders, and there really is not a noticeable difference. I wanted to believe there was a miraculous change in my skin tone, subtle and mysterious, and it was worth it, but I had to admit that was not true. I got an equally good effect using drug store powders. If you can afford it, sure, it is nice, but it's not a miraculous effect by any means.

Skin: Dry, Other, Neutral

Hair: Other, Other, Coarse

I use this allll the time, it is soo worth every penny spent. Honestly my only gripe is that from repeated use, the Hourglass logo has rubbed off from the top cover of the palette. But I am weird like that. Anyways, this baby has kept me from spending $$$ elsewhere looking for another highlighter, and MANY have come out this summer from the whole strobing craze etc. I love how fine the powder is, how it just melts into my skin, it really does look like flattering light cast on the high points of your face. Dim light is the star though, I use it most often, sweeping it all over. Don't think it's doing anything? Take a photo of yourself. For some inexplicable reason, Dim light will make your skin look flawless and I think the effect is much more obvious in photos. I havent appreciated the Radiant bronzer/highlight till recently. As an aside, I love and have a full compact of Mood light, but I hated Diffused, it looked glittery to me, like Radiant, but ymmv. The only other highlighter I have been impressed with enough to want to buy is Kevyn Aucoin's celestial powder.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

i really like this. i use dim light all over. incandescent over my highlight, and radiant light as a bronzer. i use it sometimes if i dont want to wear foundation and it actually makes my skin look better. at first i felt like it did nothing but i really like it now. adds a nice glow and makes the skin look better. can't tell you exactly what changes, just seems nicer. maybe its all placebo. anyway its pretty pricy but seems like itd last a while

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This compact is just amazeballs. I use Dim all over my face after foundation with either a fluffy synthetic face brush or a fan brush, then use Incandescent to set my under eye concealer and highlight the tops of my cheeks. I don't use the third color so much (can't even remember the name) because my skin is rather yellow (nc25) and it turns slightly orange on my skin. However, it's not altogether unflattering and does really well in a pinch to add color and life to a face that is tired (or hungover).

I have used this compact every day for the last two months and just started to hit pan in the Dim color. The fabulousness of this product is in its subtlety. No matter what foundation you use or you just want to put it on bare skin, you will have an air brushed finish. It's your skin...but better. The blurring effect people are talking about is definitely real.

I will 100% buy the Dim color in its own compact when I run out of the one in the trio. My only gripe about Hourglass is that they don't make Incandescent in its own compact. It is a great way to set concealer or all over foundation if you're fair. The texture of the powder is like silk and doesn't dry my already dry under eye area. Instead of a regular translucent powder, Incandescent just adds a little something extra that is subtly flattering in all kinds of light.

The best thing about Hourglass as a company is that they don't test on animals.

Spread the amazeballs people!

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

After I first saw this online I knew I had to have it, it seemed so wonderful and luxurious.
I am very pale, and I find this wonderful.
On days I wear no makeup I use this lightly to contour and highlight, and on days I am wearing a full face I apply my normal contouring and then the palette over the top.
I am left with such a flawless finish on my face, sheen and dim where you want it.
Just using the palette makes you feel good!

While I think the packaging is great I left a lippy off because I would have preferred it to be metal for longevity.

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Way back in the fall or winter, when Sephora had a 20% off VIB offer, I tried to buy this palette but it was sold out and I was disappointed. I was really on the fence about these Ambient Light Powders....were they really worth the price or was it a case of "the Emperor has no clothes" - a pricey gimmick that everyone was raving about because they'd dropped such a bundle on them that they felt they had to praise them. Of course, the reviews here on MUA (which I pretty much trust) were not a lot of help since they were so divergent, going from "pricey let-down" to "best powder EVER". Add to this the fact that I wasn't really sure (nor could I really tell "in-store" because of the lighting) which shade would be most useful to me AND I wasn't willing to splash out over $150 to get the 3 that I was most interested in, and there was my dilemma. I wanted a way to try several of these powders in a less costly way and the palette seemed the best idea but it sold out and it was LE so I gave up on these and found many new makeup distractions....

Lo' and behold, Hourglass then decided to make these permanent so I got this palette a few weeks ago and I'm really very pleased with it. All 3 shades work well for my skin tone. All 3 impart a very nice, flattering but subtle sheen or brightness quickly and easily, especially compared to liquid options like MAC Strobe cream, etc. The shade I like best is, of course, the one that is only available in this palette (Incandescent) - Hourglass would do well to release this as an individual powder. I really like to use it to set my Clarins under-eye concealer - it gives more staying power in warm weather and also helps with the "concealing" effect. Additionally, the shade I like the best from the regular sized powders and which I would love to try (and will probably purchase as a single) - the colour Ethereal - isn't included in this palette. But this is a reasonable value and a great way to get an assortment of these powders without breaking the bank. Certainly, these aren't life-changing or "can't live without" products but they are darned nice to have.

on 6/5/2014 8:08:00 PM

Hourglass ambient powders are superb; but they are subtle. That is part of what makes them so special. As a whole they provide, depending upon their color, sheer highlight or sheer shading for your face. This palette gives the buyer an opportunity to try more than one shade for a lesser price than buying three separate shades. In this palette there is a very sheer (non shimmery) highlighter, a brightening powder and an overall dusting shade (dim light). All three are gorgeous. (Although I admit I most love the Diffused Light powder which is not included in this trio...)

If you have been wanting to try these powders this is the way to do it. I will echo the sentiments of another reviewer who said that it's not like you HAVE to have these powders. They do not particularly mattify the skin or conceal but more diffuse light reflecting off of the complexion, making the skin look more "air brushed."

I, too, await the next "big" thing from Hourglass. I also love their ambient blushes.

on 6/5/2014 6:31:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I was wary about buying this palette for months. I read dozens of reviews. It is semi-expensive, and as a really pale (NC15) neutrally-complected gal with zero bronzer needs or skills, I was not sure how much I'd actually use it. SO GLAD I FINALLY BOUGHT THIS; HOLY GRAIL STATUS.

I use the darker shade to contour and as other reviewers have mentioned, it works beautifully with no glitter or weird oxidization. The middle shade gives a lovely burnished blend, and the lightest is a subtle, lovely highlight for cheekbones, inner eye corners, and Cupid's bows. I am 46 years-old and have no desire to use glittery makeup, draw attention to flaws, or look oily or obvious in any way. This applies so smoothly and softly it is truly akin to a high-end luxury item. I never go wrong with it. I have used the shades on my eyes, neck, collarbones, and on my dcollet. Always delicate and pretty without looking like I'm headed to the club.

I can't recommend this palette enough. There is an intangible sheen that we ladies have when we are young and though it fades slowly, it does fade. No amount of dermatology procedures, peels, facials, sunscreen, or expensive moisturizers can preserve the glow a 16- to 34- year old wears naturally. The lightest shade here gives me the closest possible result to achieving my lost gleam. The powders all photograph nicely as well, no shiny shocker selfies to embarrass later on. It is a great contour/highlight product, even for PPP girls like me. It is so blendable and soft I can do a blush over top without looking like a clown. If you want to have some color, but look polished, together, and natural, this is a key palette to have.

The only problem with this product is that you will likely feel compelled, as I do, to go and purchase ambient lighting powders and the marvelous ambient blushes in every shade they make. I look forward to seeing what Hourglass comes up with next.