Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Filtered by skin tone : Fair
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.2

on 8/25/2017 5:52:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Relaxed, Fine

It is not life changing but it is a great finishing powder and if you feel like treating yourself to it you won't be disappointed. I'm very fair and I can make those work. The key is using very little.

on 2/1/2017 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I was not expecting this to live up to the hype- but it surpassed my expectations.
So, I have sensitive skin, treated with accutane (just finished the course, now on 'maintenance dose'), so it's a little bit dry but now blemish free.
I use GA luminous silk (LS)foundation (HG btw), so I was worried that using a finishing powder would diminish the luminous finish. Not so! I use dim light all over and I find it really does give my skin an airbrushed, 'filtered' finish! Seriously amazing. My skin looks softer, pores far less visible, all over glowy and luminous. The colour is perfect for my medium skin (5.5 in LS).
I use incandescent as a highlighter on my brow-bones, a little in the middle of my forehead, chin and down my nose. I feel that this provides the perfect amount of shine: doesn't look glittery, sparkly or oily. Absolutely perfect for contouring.
The only disappointment -in terms of colour- is radiant light. The colour is way too orange for me- makes me look like an oompa loompa.
The textures of these powders is super-fine. It's easy to get enough product on your brush. The only problem here is the shape of the powders and the compact. Because theyre pyramid shaped, excess powder rolls down the sides and accumulates, becoming trapped in the edges of the pan. After only a few uses I have heaps on loose powder in the sides, back of the palette. Such a waste.
As for staying power, I'm pretty impressed. Seems to last the whole day (also thanks to my UD setting spray), doesn't go cakey or clog pores.
Overall, I love this palette! Two AMAZING shades out of three aint bad (and maybe I can use radiant as an eye-shadow...). Really makes my skin looks airbrushed! The claims are true- makes your skin look like it's in perfect lighting.
i think I'll buy the travel sized dim light to keep in my purse at all times :)
Definitely worth trying this one, ladies!

on 11/29/2016 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

(For reference, I'm an NC15 skin tone)

After people raved about this palette, I was so excited to get it, but 6 months later, I'm still not impressed with it. There are three shades in the palette, which I'll review individually;

Dim light- this powder is fine and doesn't cake at all, but I have to be VERY light handed with it or it seems to remove my foundation/excessively bronze me. You probably won't have this problem if you're not ridiculously pale

Incandescent light- if Satan was a powder, this would be the one. Once again it's quite fine, but has more glitter than sheen to it; I find the glitter in it to be quite chunky, so it doesn't work as a powder or as a highlight unless you like the chunky glitter look. It's quite dusty too, so wouldn't work as an eyeshadow.

Radiant light- this powder is far too orange-toned for me, so I can find absolutely no use for it. It might be more effective for someone with an olive skin tone.

All in all, I don't find anything particularly impressive about this palette, nor do I find it versatile. It could potentially be good for someone who isn't as pale as me, but I really don't see what the hype is about. For the size of the palette, I think the price (£58) is ridiculous.

I'd say the main positive is the packaging, which is sleek and has a good sized mirror. Everything else is rather average.

on 7/28/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The formula of the Ambient Lighting powders is really worth the moderately-high $62 price point. Each of the three powders are very finely milled and will not settle into fine lines or become cakey after wearing throughout the day. And although I find that this palette does not function as a traditional highlighting palette (think: ABH glow-kit or the Mary-Lou Manizer), I find that each shade works in a completely different, subtle, and successful way.

Dim: To set concealer and foundation, I lightly sweep Dim all over my base with a fluffy powder brush. The Dim Light powder subtly softens and illuminates the appearance of the skin without looking powdery or shimmery.

Incandescent: Of the three, this shade most closely resembles a highlighter and is perfect for setting the undereye area. I also use Incandescent on top of my blush for a soft, airbrushed glow.

Radiant: Because I have very pale skin and this shade is darker than my skin tone, I use this powder around the perimeter of my face as a very subtle, glowy bronzer.

Unfortunately, I do not often use the Radiant Light powder as the color is a bit too dark for me. For this reason, I would not repurchase the palette but would instead buy full-sized singles of Dim and Incandescent.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is expensive as all hell, but absolutely fantastic. I have the limited edition Christmas palette which has three other shades in it, but to be honest, being very pale these are the three I use every day. I bought a couple of the brushes to use specifically with it after a few weeks: this being talc-free, my usual brushes weren't picking it up. This is annoying, but the palette leaves your skin looking so phenomenally good that it's worth it. Even though I am now almost entirely bankrupt. These powders are a total joy.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

this was one of the pricier m/u items i've ever bought (i did at least get a discount on it) but it is 3 products in 1 & i love it. i'm very fair (~nc10) & i wasn't sure this would be right for me as it's probably designed for more light-medium skin tones. but the shades in this palette add some soft color & life into my face without being too much. i've never used a bronzer bc they all look like they'd go muddy on me but dim light is like the perfect soft, sheer bronzer for pale skin. radiant light makes a lovely luminous apricot blush & incandescent light is a nice highlighter, glowy but subtle. i think this will be great for summery looks & i would def check out more of the ambient lighting powders.

on 2/25/2016 7:46:00 AM

There is nothing quite like Hourglass Ambient powders - it is so fine and the effect is a sheen rather than shine. With combination skin I always struggle to achieve a dewy glow without looking shiny and greasy and this is my HG when it comes to subtle glow. I use the lighter two swirled together to set undereye concealer or remove bake and the darkest one as a subtle bronzer (NC15, so too dark otherwise). It soft-focuses pores and gives that lit-from-withing glow like you have a personal light assistant.
That said, if you want a strong hightlight or strobing, you'll definitely want to use another product on high points of cheekbones or applying this wet (I use Mac Fix+ to moisten my fan brush and apply just to high points).

on 1/6/2016 9:37:00 AM

I was interested in the Hourglass ambient lighting palette because I had heard a lot of good things about their powders. I am very pale and I have one of two problems with highlighters, they are either too dark on me or they don't show up at all. I really like this palette. It's easy to overdue it though. I added too much a few times and then I looked really shiny after application. It doesn't look like you're doing much to the skin but it sneaks up on you. I bought the palette just because the individual sizes are expensive and I wanted to try out more colors but not spend a fortune. The individual sizes are much larger than the palette sizes but if there is a certain color I like then I can buy the larger size. Overall, I'm happy with this set. This is a nice highlighting palette for people who want a more natural highlight. Candlelight is a good description. If used like you're supposed to, and not with such a heavy hand like I did, it makes a beautiful soft glow to anywhere you apply it.

on 12/15/2015 5:22:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I like this palette, I find it useful for mixing and shading... the Dim I use as a bronzer... it's too dark for me all over my face... the Incandescent Light is beautiful as a highlighter, slightly glittery but nothing that visibly shows up as glitter, and it gives a beautiful glow (my fave out of the pallette), and Radiant Light I use to brush very lightly round my chin/hairline... it's a lovely bronze but does lean towards an orangey/gold glow. All in all I like it to try the different shades, but I wouldn't buy again as the only one I LOVE is the highlighter in the middle. I use both Diffused and Ethereal for all over my face - perfect.

on 8/1/2015 6:50:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

This is good but I believe it is totally unnecessary. Is any face product worth $75? I looked at photos where I am wearing this, and then photos where I am wearing regular highlighters and powders, and there really is not a noticeable difference. I wanted to believe there was a miraculous change in my skin tone, subtle and mysterious, and it was worth it, but I had to admit that was not true. I got an equally good effect using drug store powders. If you can afford it, sure, it is nice, but it's not a miraculous effect by any means.