Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.4

This is a limited edition product & I think a lot of people are excited about this, so here we go...

The first thing you need to know about this palette is that it's extremely SMALL. It's about as wide and only slightly longer than an iPhone 4. The pans of product themselves are only a little larger than, say, a Laura Mercier eye shadow single. Nowhere on any website could I find in the product description exactly how much product each pan contained which I thought was a bit shady. Thankfully Karen over @ Makeupandbeautyblog had the details: "you get three pans of 0.116 ounces for a total of 0.348 ounces of powder for about 20% more that the cost of a single full-sized one". Definitely keep this in mind if you're thinking about purchasing this palette! Also, for $58 the packaging feels quite flimsy, IMO. While the design is beautiful, there's little to no weight to it.

I purchased this palette because I had never tried any of the Ambient Lighting powders so I thought this would be a great way to try them. These powders are outstanding! They're very silky & smooth and have excellent longevity. Dim light gives a lovely airbrushed look to the skin, Radiant light is great for warming up the skin, and the new shade Incandescent light is a STUNNING highlight. I will absolutely be using these powders in my every day routine so I'm glad I have it. You can definitely carry this palette in your purse for touch ups (it does include a nice mirror) but to be honest the powders set my make-up so well that I didn't need to touch up my face the entire day.

That being said - if I did not fall completely in love with all three of these powders I would return this palette to Sephora because of the above complaints. I think this palette is quite over priced. If I didn't pay for the majority of this item with a gift card I would feel extremely slighted by the size of the product. I think this would be easier to stomach at a $45-50 price point but at nearly $60 you're paying more for less. The palette also comes with a sample of the Mineral Veil primer which comes with quite a generous amount of product & works great - but still, SIXTY DOLLARS. I would highly recommend checking this palette out in stores rather than ordering it online because you may be disappointed in the size.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I did not want to love this palette, and because I already own the "Ethereal Light" ambient powder, which is pretty, but I rarely use it, I was planning on ignoring it....HOWever, I was in Sephora the other day and while walking out, it caught my eye (Like a shining beacon of light!) and I felt myself floating over to the display. I slapped on the "Incandescent Light" under my eyes (think cheekbone area) and left the store. The whole way home and all day long, I kept looking in the mirror admiring my skin, which looked absolutely flawless, radiant and poreless. I kept trying to talk myself out of returning to Sephora, and telling myself that I had dupes available (i.e. Smashbox Halo powder, Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight, etc etc), but that did not convince me. Nothing I have ever seen imitates the beautiful pinkish/yellowish/glowing product. SO, long story short, I went back and owned this palette. I absolutely LOVE it, the Incandescent light goes with anything I am wearing on my face (foundation, powder, or nothing), the Dim Light melts into my skin and works as a setting powder, making my skin flawless. The only thing is that I haven't quite figured out how to use the third color, however I am sure I will. Great product, expensive, yes, but way worth it!!

on 10/21/2013 1:22:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

I own A LOT of highlighters, mostly because I was searching for this one. I couldn't resist the opportunity to try three in a palette, so rushed to Sephora to pick it up.

Dim light is the one I used all over my face as a finishing powder. It blurred fine lines and pores, while giving a bit of a dewy look to my face. I used the other two more specifically...The lighter color as a highlighter and bronzy one under my blush and bronzer. When all three are on my face I am really fabulous. I don't find the quantity small..I think this will last at least 10 months to a year with daily use....The price? Yes it's expensive, but I can justify with all the money I've wasted on lesser products. Mind you I can justify anything I really like, and I really like this. Even the packaging is stellar. Was toying with buying the new Guerlain Crazy in Paris, but I just don't see how it could beat this one...who am I kidding? I know I'll buy the Guerlain one, too. You can't glow enough.

on 10/23/2013 3:49:00 PM

I was really excited to try this product but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I love the look of the powder when I swatched it on my hand, but it made my skin look dry. I tried a couple of different methods to get it to work but its a fail for me. I didn't get the subtle glow everyone talks about with this, maybe the colors are just wrong for me. The compact is sleek and light weight, but it's a very expensive product, too expensive for me not to return.

on 10/27/2013 11:35:00 PM

I bought this with the intention of hating the product, i wanted to give it a bad review because I think this is overpriced for just a setting powder. I have oily skin and the nars light reflecting powder works great for me because it sets, prolongs my foundation and somehow keeps the oils at bay a bit longer.
Initially I was going to return this after a week of not seeing any difference. The lady at the store told me to give it another chance and since sephora had a great return policy, I decided to give it another chance. I still didn't see any difference, nothing. My skin looked fairly good as usual after my foundation and blush, I didn't see any reason for me to keep this powder. One night I decided to wear it without any makeup at all. I was under white florescent light, no foundation and normally my skin looks uneven with dark shadows under my eyes. I applied dim light on one side and I noticed on that side of my face it looked brighter and a bit even. I applied it all over and it looked good. It kind of reminds me when I freshen up my face with my Mac blot powder to even out and retouch my makeup only this time you don't see any powder or color like the blot powder.
I then applied incandescent light under my eyes and it did brighten up and make my dark shadows less noticeable.
radiant light is great as a bronzer. if you normally don't like using bronzers like i do, i actually like this. my face is kind of angular, i really don't need to contour but radiant just adds a warm glow ever so slightly. i don't know if this will show up as a bronzer on skintones darker than me.
I realize that when I apply my makeup everyday, I am faced next to my window so I have natural sunlight and everyone usually looks good under natural sunlight, that may explain why I couldn't see any difference. I think you might benefit from this product if you work indoors with lousy flat lighting. But for outdoors, in good lighting, it might be a waste of product since you won't see it's benefits.
I have decided to keep it since it will be handy for those specific occasions. I'm not sure if I would repurchase because I'm not sure it also has the benefits of my nars powder which is much cheaper. I'm thinking maybe a lot of people who gave this a good review spend most of the time indoors whereas I don't exactly work indoors everyday. I will give an update to see if it prolongs my foundation like my nars powder but for now i don't regret purchasing it. I am glad I got the palette because I would rather sample more than one than purchasing a couple of full sizes as it may take me a while to realize which works for me the best. I love the sleek packaging, it's slim and great for traveling.

on 11/2/2013 6:02:00 AM

I treated myself to this while shopping at Sephora yesterday. I had never used any Hourglass products until this purchase. Let's just say that this powder delivers some amazing results. I could not get over the blurring effects that this powder provides. Especially since I am experiencing some skin issues that are the result of an allergic reaction that occurred on a recent work trip to San Francisco. My skin is currently in the healing stages of a bad, blistering reaction to what I am not sure but since the worst of it occurred while out of town my resources were limited to what I had on hand to deal with it and not my usual arsenal of numerous products. I digress, but needless to say this powder does produce some amazing effects that gave me results that were far beyond anything that I could have possibly expected. After it's use you cannot see any of the healing blisters spots on my face...WOW, I am just speechless on how great my skin looked as a result of this powder. I will definitely be repurchasing more of this product, as well as try some of the others available in this line.

on 11/15/2013 6:51:00 PM

I wanted to try the powders and opposed to buying 2 permanent ones I chose this instead. It's pretty and the powders are wonderful but the packaging is cheap flimsy plastic. If it was to drop a foot off the ground I think it would break. Bottom line, I like the powders and it will help me decide which to buy full size but the palette is smaller then most cell phones. I was shocked to see the actual size after seeing in it YouTube videos

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Ladies, if you want this you'd better get it! It sold out at Sephora during the 20% off sale but I just checked and it's still available on Hourglass's website. But you may want to read my comments on the value of this vs. the individual powders below.

I've lemmed these powders since they came out and couldn't justify the price, especially when I couldn't figure out which color to get, and the claims just seem so unbelievable. Unfortunately, you get much less product with this palette (0.116 oz, or 3.3g) for $58.00, vs. a single powder with 0.35 oz, or approximately 11 grams, for $45.00. Personally, I have yet to hit pan on a highlighter since you have to apply them with such a light hand; also, I preferred to have the 3 options. So I don't regret the decision to get the palette.

I find the packaging to be quite chic, in the metallic brown that is Hourglass's packaging hallmark. It does take fingerprints like crazy. It's a heavy duty plastic with a strong closure, and comes with a nicely sized mirror. Btw, the powders don't have any chalkiness of fallout so they don't muck up the mirror much at all.

I found after some experimentation that they do in fact create subtle but different effects on my skin. I have fair-to-light skin, neutral in tone, that has a lot of redness to cover. None of these played a role in camouflaging redness in any way, and they don't claim to. They are all very, very finely milled. You won't find any glitter here, but the shimmery varies from shade to shade. Here's what I discovered about each shade, going from the left to right side of the palette:

Dim Light: the only one of the three that has absolutely no shimmer. A completely neutral beige tone. Of the three, this is probably the one that truly acted as a straight up finishing powder. It blurred away some large pores and texture issues well. I used it over Revlon Colorstay Whipped, and it just puts some radiance back into my skin after the mattifying affect of the foundation. On a good skin day I actually wore this without any foundation and it looked beautiful, just taking the pores down a notch and making me look like I just had sex. Probably my favorite shade in this palette, and the one I'd be most likely to repurchase if I ran out. Love it!

Incandescent Light: pretty much a straight-up highlighter. This has the teeniest bits of microshimmer, and it's a very pale pearly cream color, maybe with the slightest touch of peach. Didn't emphasize pores at all. If you really packed it on, it probably would, but you would have to use a trowel. Definitely my new favorite highlighter, but I don't know if I'd buy it separately for $45.00. Not that it matters, as this shade can only be bought in this palette and isn't sold individually.

Radiant Light: such a cool powder! This had probably the most noticeable color on my skin, as it's a slightly tawny gold and I have absolutely no yellow undertone in my face. It also has some microshimmer, but you won't see "glitter" when you apply it. I kind of use it as a bronzer, as it just warms my skin up a teeny bit.

I will say, this is in no way a must-have. It will not cover blemishes, or completely eliminate pores or do anything dramatic. The effects are very, very subtle. I had to play around with them for a couple of weeks to figure out how each shade would work for me and what role it would play in my makeup routine. I'm sorry, but there's just no easy or definite answer to the question, "Should I get this?" Factor in your own skin type and tone, and divide that by the money factor and maybe you'll get your answer. Or if, like me, you just WANT it, you may find an excuse to treat yourself. :)

on 12/13/2013 4:24:00 AM

After reading mixed reviews I still thought I would check it out. Even though the SA at Mecca (Sydney) said the individual compacts were better value, I still opted for this as I eyeing dim and radiant. When I tried it, I thought it did nothing... but like another reviewer said when I caught glimpses of myself, my skin looked really good. Normally I had taking photos, but was amazed at the recent shots taken, so I am putting it down to this powder! For reference I'm a NC30 & use radiant as a bronzer, dim all over as a finishing powder, and the light limited edition one (too lazy to look name) under my eyes.

on 12/14/2013 5:58:00 PM

I am really glad I bought this, but I will not repurchase. Now, when I run out of Dim Light, HELL YES I will buy that on its own. It's the perfect finishing powder for me, does not settle in fine lines and gives me a really nice glow-y effect. It is a totally neutral color, not too cool or warm which I love. It is also good for a blending color. The middle highlighter color is nice and subtle but honestly I can find better, and the peachy color adds warmth but I would personally prefer a browner bronzer. Right now it is nice to have all three together in a palette but Dim is the only one I really love. I am glad I bought this to try out more than one color and satisfy my curiosity, and would recommend trying it if you are at all curious about these.