Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

4.4

on 7/3/2016 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is such a hard product to get hold of in the UK so I had high hopes for it when I did. I wasn't disappointed. I use a large fluffy brush and dust all colours all over my face for a beautiful candlelit glow- it doesn't make my very oily skin look greasy which was a concern, it just works. Only 4 stars though as I do prefer Guerlain Meteorite Compact as it gives a more airbrushed finish.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is expensive as all hell, but absolutely fantastic. I have the limited edition Christmas palette which has three other shades in it, but to be honest, being very pale these are the three I use every day. I bought a couple of the brushes to use specifically with it after a few weeks: this being talc-free, my usual brushes weren't picking it up. This is annoying, but the palette leaves your skin looking so phenomenally good that it's worth it. Even though I am now almost entirely bankrupt. These powders are a total joy.

To Read all 71 Reviews, Login or Join

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

this was one of the pricier m/u items i've ever bought (i did at least get a discount on it) but i love it. i'm very fair (~nc10) & i wasn't sure this would be right for me as it's clearly designed for more light-medium skin tones. but the shades in this palette add some soft color & life into my face without looking heavy. i've never used a bronzer bc they all look like they'd go muddy on me but dim light is like the perfect soft, sheer bronzer for pale skin. radiant light makes a lovely luminous apricot blush & incandescent light is a nice highlighter, shimmery but not dramatic. i think this will be great for summery looks & i will def be exploring more of the ambient lighting powders.

on 4/9/2016 9:20:00 AM

This is by far the best highlighting palette i have ever used!

Fyi, I have oily, blemish prone and sensitive skin user. I currently live in humid conditions, ranging about 91.4 °F, my current foundations shades include Bareminerals serum foundation 07 bare natural, Stila foundation Hue 5.

This is the most expensive makeup product I have by far. Unlike most ppl, I didn't jump on the bandwagon immediately when this product came out, and I only decided to purchase it about a year later since it was so highly raved and I was still living on a budget. Costs about $120 in my country.

If you're about the "cake face" that is all about foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, blush, contour and strong highlight like you see on IG and tumblr pics, I can tell you right away that this is NOT the product for you. There is nothing wrong about the cake face, but this product and the brand emphasizes on the "glowing from within" look.

When i first purchased it, i have to admit that i was sorely disappointed - only because i thought it was a product that would give me a very strong "bam" highlight that you see on IG. When i first applied it with a fan brush it looked nothing like I wanted. And i never wanted to do a review on here because everyone kept raving about it and i never understood it. I threw it aside for about 6 months before i started using it recently.

I will say first that I have so far only used "Dim light", the two other shades are beautiful when i swatched it but i haven't gotten around to using it yet, but i know i wouldn't be disappointed this time round.

Why do i love it now? Recently i've been going for the youthful, "glowing from within" look. And this product, along with this brand is everything that emphasizes this look. Its not about having a strong highlight and heavy contour, its about enhancing what you have and bringing out a youthful, radiant look.

Again, when i started using it with a fan brush, I realized how natural it looks with just one sweep. It is very pigmented. Its not strong, but not subtle either. It instantly gives you that you've just been hit with the sunlight look but yet looks extremely natural. I love it.

Longevity wise, I feel that it lasts about the average max 6-8hrs. When i apply makeup, i do use a makeup setting spray (currently using UD all nighter makeup setting spray, HG for oily girls like me). However i don't think this product ever claimed to be long lasting. So I can look past that.

All in all,
Pros:
+ versatile, 3 shades for variety
+ sleek packaging
+ pigmentation is good
+ a little goes a very long way
+ buildable coverage if you want a bit more highlight
+ natural, radiant looking

Cons:
- possibly the price
- longevity wise, i feel like wearing time could be longer

Will i repurchase this palette again? Probably not, because of the price and this product does go a very long way, i feel that i can only use it up after a few years, who knows by then other competitors might come out a similar palette but at a cheaper rate.

HOWEVER, i will say though that for the price that you pay for this product, it is very worth it. You get 3 shades, a good sized mirror, and compact enough for travel. The quality of the product and the packaging speaks for itself, I am willing to pay the $120 because of that.

If anything, if i do run out of this palette, i could only imagine myself buying that one shade "dim light" powder as an individual because it is the shade that i am currently loving the most.

If you have never tried this brand or contemplating about this palette, i will say that it is something that you could try out if you want to splurge, because you won't be disappointed, if you have a better understanding about the brand itself. It is a good staple for your everyday look, but not something that you'd see yourself repurchasing again since its so expensive.

Hope this helps! :)

on 4/4/2016 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I'm AA, NC45/Laura Mercier 7 / Bobbi Brown 6 Golden / YSL B60. Even with the shimmery undertones, this provides a glow. Great for highlighting, though I cant use it all over as fairer complected people can, so I mostly use on cheeks, brow and sometimes blend the three colors to provide a contoured eye. I wish they had a warmer similar type palette for women of color. I love the quality of Hourglass products, very fine powder, doesn't cake, blends beautifully, they are top notch and worth the investment. Better than Chanel, Urban Decay. It is expensive but find you don't need as much so get a color where you will use the shades frequently.

LOVE it! People comment on how nice my skin looked every time I wore it.

on 2/29/2016 1:28:00 PM

Wow! Love this palette! It's pricey but it looks amazing on my face lol... I use dim light as setting powder it really makes my pores invisible. The radiant light is a beautiful bronzer, not too orangey not to ashy, it makes my skin glow but not too glittery. And the one in the middle OMG.... Best highlight powder I've ever used! It's beautiful.. gives you that pearly glow and it does not make your pores/bumps more visible!! The whole palette just smooths everything on your skin.... Love it!!! And the lasting power is great! 6 hours on my oily skin without any touch up! Still looking fresh!! Will def repurchase it when It runs out!

on 2/25/2016 7:46:00 AM

There is nothing quite like Hourglass Ambient powders - it is so fine and the effect is a sheen rather than shine. With combination skin I always struggle to achieve a dewy glow without looking shiny and greasy and this is my HG when it comes to subtle glow. I use the lighter two swirled together to set undereye concealer or remove bake and the darkest one as a subtle bronzer (NC15, so too dark otherwise). It soft-focuses pores and gives that lit-from-withing glow like you have a personal light assistant.
That said, if you want a strong hightlight or strobing, you'll definitely want to use another product on high points of cheekbones or applying this wet (I use Mac Fix+ to moisten my fan brush and apply just to high points).

on 2/25/2016 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Classy Sheen that make my skin look better. No emphasis on pores. I use Dim light on trouble area and incandescent light on cheekbones. Asian skintone need not much bronzer like radiant light. So I always used up the other two before radiant light.

on 1/21/2016 6:57:00 PM

This palette is so pretty! I love that it gives a subtle glow but can also give a nice luminous finish as a setting powder.