Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.4

on 11/29/2016 6:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Warm

(For reference, I'm an NC15 skin tone)

After people raved about this palette, I was so excited to get it, but 6 months later, I'm still not impressed with it. There are three shades in the palette, which I'll review individually;

Dim light- this powder is fine and doesn't cake at all, but I have to be VERY light handed with it or it seems to remove my foundation/excessively bronze me. You probably won't have this problem if you're not ridiculously pale

Incandescent light- if Satan was a powder, this would be the one. Once again it's quite fine, but has more glitter than sheen to it; I find the glitter in it to be quite chunky, so it doesn't work as a powder or as a highlight unless you like the chunky glitter look. It's quite dusty too, so wouldn't work as an eyeshadow.

Radiant light- this powder is far too orange-toned for me, so I can find absolutely no use for it. It might be more effective for someone with an olive skin tone.

All in all, I don't find anything particularly impressive about this palette, nor do I find it versatile. It could potentially be good for someone who isn't as pale as me, but I really don't see what the hype is about. For the size of the palette, I think the price (£58) is ridiculous.

I'd say the main positive is the packaging, which is sleek and has a good sized mirror. Everything else is rather average.

I wish this wasn't so good because it's so pricey but it's amazing!!! This really has taken my makeup look up another few levels. At first I was a bit underwhelmed but after a day or two of not wearing it I simply didn't look as good. This brightens my skin, gives it a natural glow and simply makes you look candle lit (cliche but true). I'm ran out of the bronzer shade first as use this over contour so purchased this specific shade again. Loads of the highlighter shade left. Almost out of dim light which is also a stand out shade for general use. Love this and can't be without it!!

To Read all 73 Reviews, Login or Join

on 7/28/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The formula of the Ambient Lighting powders is really worth the moderately-high $62 price point. Each of the three powders are very finely milled and will not settle into fine lines or become cakey after wearing throughout the day. And although I find that this palette does not function as a traditional highlighting palette (think: ABH glow-kit or the Mary-Lou Manizer), I find that each shade works in a completely different, subtle, and successful way.

Dim: To set concealer and foundation, I lightly sweep Dim all over my base with a fluffy powder brush. The Dim Light powder subtly softens and illuminates the appearance of the skin without looking powdery or shimmery.

Incandescent: Of the three, this shade most closely resembles a highlighter and is perfect for setting the undereye area. I also use Incandescent on top of my blush for a soft, airbrushed glow.

Radiant: Because I have very pale skin and this shade is darker than my skin tone, I use this powder around the perimeter of my face as a very subtle, glowy bronzer.

Unfortunately, I do not often use the Radiant Light powder as the color is a bit too dark for me. For this reason, I would not repurchase the palette but would instead buy full-sized singles of Dim and Incandescent.

on 7/3/2016 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is such a hard product to get hold of in the UK so I had high hopes for it when I did. I wasn't disappointed. I use a large fluffy brush and dust all colours all over my face for a beautiful candlelit glow- it doesn't make my very oily skin look greasy which was a concern, it just works. Only 4 stars though as I do prefer Guerlain Meteorite Compact as it gives a more airbrushed finish.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

This is expensive as all hell, but absolutely fantastic. I have the limited edition Christmas palette which has three other shades in it, but to be honest, being very pale these are the three I use every day. I bought a couple of the brushes to use specifically with it after a few weeks: this being talc-free, my usual brushes weren't picking it up. This is annoying, but the palette leaves your skin looking so phenomenally good that it's worth it. Even though I am now almost entirely bankrupt. These powders are a total joy.

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

this was one of the pricier m/u items i've ever bought (i did at least get a discount on it) but it is 3 products in 1 & i love it. i'm very fair (~nc10) & i wasn't sure this would be right for me as it's probably designed for more light-medium skin tones. but the shades in this palette add some soft color & life into my face without being too much. i've never used a bronzer bc they all look like they'd go muddy on me but dim light is like the perfect soft, sheer bronzer for pale skin. radiant light makes a lovely luminous apricot blush & incandescent light is a nice highlighter, glowy but subtle. i think this will be great for summery looks & i would def check out more of the ambient lighting powders.

on 4/9/2016 9:20:00 AM

This is by far the best highlighting palette i have ever used!

Fyi, I have oily, blemish prone and sensitive skin user. I currently live in humid conditions, ranging about 91.4 ┬░F, my current foundations shades include Bareminerals serum foundation 07 bare natural, Stila foundation Hue 5.

This is the most expensive makeup product I have by far. Unlike most ppl, I didn't jump on the bandwagon immediately when this product came out, and I only decided to purchase it about a year later since it was so highly raved and I was still living on a budget. Costs about $120 in my country.

If you're about the "cake face" that is all about foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, blush, contour and strong highlight like you see on IG and tumblr pics, I can tell you right away that this is NOT the product for you. There is nothing wrong about the cake face, but this product and the brand emphasizes on the "glowing from within" look.

When i first purchased it, i have to admit that i was sorely disappointed - only because i thought it was a product that would give me a very strong "bam" highlight that you see on IG. When i first applied it with a fan brush it looked nothing like I wanted. And i never wanted to do a review on here because everyone kept raving about it and i never understood it. I threw it aside for about 6 months before i started using it recently.

I will say first that I have so far only used "Dim light", the two other shades are beautiful when i swatched it but i haven't gotten around to using it yet, but i know i wouldn't be disappointed this time round.

Why do i love it now? Recently i've been going for the youthful, "glowing from within" look. And this product, along with this brand is everything that emphasizes this look. Its not about having a strong highlight and heavy contour, its about enhancing what you have and bringing out a youthful, radiant look.

Again, when i started using it with a fan brush, I realized how natural it looks with just one sweep. It is very pigmented. Its not strong, but not subtle either. It instantly gives you that you've just been hit with the sunlight look but yet looks extremely natural. I love it.

Longevity wise, I feel that it lasts about the average max 6-8hrs. When i apply makeup, i do use a makeup setting spray (currently using UD all nighter makeup setting spray, HG for oily girls like me). However i don't think this product ever claimed to be long lasting. So I can look past that.

All in all,
Pros:
+ versatile, 3 shades for variety
+ sleek packaging
+ pigmentation is good
+ a little goes a very long way
+ buildable coverage if you want a bit more highlight
+ natural, radiant looking

Cons:
- possibly the price
- longevity wise, i feel like wearing time could be longer

Will i repurchase this palette again? Probably not, because of the price and this product does go a very long way, i feel that i can only use it up after a few years, who knows by then other competitors might come out a similar palette but at a cheaper rate.

HOWEVER, i will say though that for the price that you pay for this product, it is very worth it. You get 3 shades, a good sized mirror, and compact enough for travel. The quality of the product and the packaging speaks for itself, I am willing to pay the $120 because of that.

If anything, if i do run out of this palette, i could only imagine myself buying that one shade "dim light" powder as an individual because it is the shade that i am currently loving the most.

If you have never tried this brand or contemplating about this palette, i will say that it is something that you could try out if you want to splurge, because you won't be disappointed, if you have a better understanding about the brand itself. It is a good staple for your everyday look, but not something that you'd see yourself repurchasing again since its so expensive.

Hope this helps! :)

on 4/4/2016 7:43:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Hair: Other, Other, Fine

I'm AA, NC45/Laura Mercier 7 / Bobbi Brown 6 Golden / YSL B60. Even with the shimmery undertones, this provides a glow. Great for highlighting, though I cant use it all over as fairer complected people can, so I mostly use on cheeks, brow and sometimes blend the three colors to provide a contoured eye. I wish they had a warmer similar type palette for women of color. I love the quality of Hourglass products, very fine powder, doesn't cake, blends beautifully, they are top notch and worth the investment. Better than Chanel, Urban Decay. It is expensive but find you don't need as much so get a color where you will use the shades frequently.

LOVE it! People comment on how nice my skin looked every time I wore it.

on 2/29/2016 1:28:00 PM

Wow! Love this palette! It's pricey but it looks amazing on my face lol... I use dim light as setting powder it really makes my pores invisible. The radiant light is a beautiful bronzer, not too orangey not to ashy, it makes my skin glow but not too glittery. And the one in the middle OMG.... Best highlight powder I've ever used! It's beautiful.. gives you that pearly glow and it does not make your pores/bumps more visible!! The whole palette just smooths everything on your skin.... Love it!!! And the lasting power is great! 6 hours on my oily skin without any touch up! Still looking fresh!! Will def repurchase it when It runs out!