Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Filtered by age: 44-55
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.6

on 7/3/2016 3:13:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

This is such a hard product to get hold of in the UK so I had high hopes for it when I did. I wasn't disappointed. I use a large fan brush and dust all colours all over my face for a beautiful candlelit glow- it doesn't make my very oily skin look greasy which was a concern, it just works. NB. I don't use this as a setting powder - for that I use LM or RCMA, but I dust it on top to get rid of the horrid aging mattifying effect of powder. It really really works and is a definite repurchase despite the price. Update: It is now a year later and despite using this every day I am not even halfway down - so realistically it's very good value for money despite the initial outlay.

on 12/15/2015 5:22:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine

I like this palette, I find it useful for mixing and shading... the Dim I use as a bronzer... it's too dark for me all over my face... the Incandescent Light is beautiful as a highlighter, slightly glittery but nothing that visibly shows up as glitter, and it gives a beautiful glow (my fave out of the pallette), and Radiant Light I use to brush very lightly round my chin/hairline... it's a lovely bronze but does lean towards an orangey/gold glow. All in all I like it to try the different shades, but I wouldn't buy again as the only one I LOVE is the highlighter in the middle. I use both Diffused and Ethereal for all over my face - perfect.

on 10/10/2015 12:54:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Well first of all the price of Hourglass products is just ridiculous and over the top, however I think that's true of all high end cosmetics. These companies are laughing all the way to the bank but Hourglass is a brand that I have resisted for a long time as the price was just to high. Every time I go Sephora I would stop to admire the Hourglass products but then move along because of the cost. Finally I broke down and but a couple of their items including this palette.

I don't know how these powders work I just know that they do indeed work just like they are described. Interestingly I am most amazed by this palette when I use the powders on my bare face rather than on my made up face. Yes they look great over makeup but I use good quality foundation, concealer and powder already so while I'm pleased with how the powder looks on top of my makeup I am generally already happy with how my skin looks once my make up is on and the Hourglass powder is just a nice finishing touch but not holy grail amazing. However I am truly impressed when I wear these powders on a day that I'm not wearing any makeup at all. I often go without makeup but believe me it's not because I look great without makeup, it's just because I'm lazy...lol. My bare skin is generally very dull and dead looking, but if I sweep dim light all over my face and then incandescent light to the high points, followed by just a little Hourglass blush, well I can't really describe what it does but I'll try. I still look completely barefaced, people would think I'm not wearing any makeup at all, but somehow I look about 5 times better than I normally would without makeup. As it's not a foundation or a concealer of course it doesn't cover spots or even skin tone but it has this amazing ability to make me look healthy and youthful even with all of my skin imperfections. My skin just looks all aglow (in a natural way) and awake. I'm so impressed by that because even my tinted moisturizers and BB creams can't do what this product does. I will definitely repurchase.

on 9/10/2015 9:04:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Um.... Clearly I was bitten by the hype bug yet again on this pricey @ss and totally unnecessary purchase.

Let me first say (before people try to explain away this product) that I am already very aware this is a finishing product which is very subtly supposed to mimic certain/specific lighting which is flattering. I also know as a finisher product the intent is to bring your makeup "back to life" aft it's all been applied, sort of un-matte the flat look. Now with all that said...

I have absolutely no clue as to how so many other NC-30 or Nars Stromboli skin shaded folks are making this work to the point of HG status - I am completely underwhelmed. There is a big difference btw subtle and undetectable - and I am only getting the later. The formulation and feel is also not as amazingly smooth and innovative as it was hyped up to be IMO. I mean seriously L'Oreal Lumi powder feels way more silky to me. Last but not least I really expected these shades to resemble the sakes when featured in mags, boutique (Sephora etc) catalog, and online; I was very surprised to open this and see how similar the shades are to one another when all of the photos show them very differently. Honestly had I known that ahead of time I would have purchased one indivdually for $45 to try out instead of the $65 I paid at Nordys.

Maybe it's just me, I dunno, but this palette did nothing for me. Maybe if I was lighter it would have worked for me. I give this a thumbs down.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hourglass is not available in Singapore. I heard so much about this that when I saw them in London, I bought not one palette, but two, despite the hefty price tag! Anyway, I share the same opinion as the reviewer below - doesn't make me prettier than if I were to use Bobbi Brown's Pale Yellow Powder, or Guerlain Meteriotes (compact). Also, I avoid Incandescent Light (center) on my T-zone/sides of nose. Don't want to add any shine. I am just trying to finish up both palettes. Most times I'll use a big brush, swipe through all three colours and then swipe over my face.

on 7/26/2015 6:55:00 AM

I've been lemming over this for a loong time but finally caved in.

It costs $76.00 here in Australia, you know. But, it was worth it.

You get a glow from within once applied. No obvious glittery shimmer
from cheap highlighters ( I have W7's Hollywood bronzer/highlighter which is good
but the glitter was a little obvious.).

I urge women my age to buy this, it literally shaves years off from your face.

I love this brand! I remember I used to always asked Nordstrom if they will ever carry this brand, then they finally do!

I love the packaging of Hourglass. It's just very sleek and elegant. Definitely high end. Price wise - well it's not affordable at all. Only if you have the extra money, then go for it.

Is it worth? This palette is very worthwhile of your money!! First I rarely used up a powder compact ever, never did actually because I keep buying new products and they made me do it - Sephora, Ulta and Nordstrom!!

So if you can have three shades in one compact, that is really fantastic! That's more than enough for one person anyway. I regret deeply that I did not get the blush palette as well, too bad for me. But if you can still get this powder palette. Go Get It.

The shade is very versatile no matter what shades you are wearing. I am NC20 -25, I use them all over my face. No problem. It does not cake up and very fine and smooth texture. Does not come with any scent so I know it's not too chemical, peace of mind.

The product does not harm my sensitive skin at all, no seabum or breakout whatsoever. I will continue to use this product!! Not sure if I will purchase it again, not that I don't want to but I don't think I 'need" to because there are new products coming out almost every week from different brands!!! We consumers are very lucky.

on 12/24/2014 2:55:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Coarse

I simply love this palette. I have used the individual colors as a wash of color for my lids. When I use it on my face, I sweep my brush over all three colors and lightly dust all over my face. The color is luminous, blends like a dream and lasts most of the work day. Thumbs up all the way!

I use every one of these powders and love the quality of each. Dim is an amazing all-over finishing powder for my fair, aging skin that appreciates the slight blurring effect. Luminous is my only favored highlighter, as it is subtle and doesn't emphasize the fine lines. Radiant is too warm for a winter bronzer or contour for me but worked great as blush/ bronzer in summer, and I'm looking forward to seeing if it continues to provide a subtle nude blush in winter. It has a pink tinge that I much prefer to more orange-skewing bronzers.

I will likely use up Dim first and will absolutely repurchase, as it's really exceptional and the one "must have" of the palette.

My only complaint about the palette is minor: I find the pan sizes to be too small to accommodate most of my powder brushes without dipping into the neighboring pans. Not a deal breaker, but it does make it less convenient than individual compacts would be.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Way back in the fall or winter, when Sephora had a 20% off VIB offer, I tried to buy this palette but it was sold out and I was disappointed. I was really on the fence about these Ambient Light Powders....were they really worth the price or was it a case of "the Emperor has no clothes" - a pricey gimmick that everyone was raving about because they'd dropped such a bundle on them that they felt they had to praise them. Of course, the reviews here on MUA (which I pretty much trust) were not a lot of help since they were so divergent, going from "pricey let-down" to "best powder EVER". Add to this the fact that I wasn't really sure (nor could I really tell "in-store" because of the lighting) which shade would be most useful to me AND I wasn't willing to splash out over $150 to get the 3 that I was most interested in, and there was my dilemma. I wanted a way to try several of these powders in a less costly way and the palette seemed the best idea but it sold out and it was LE so I gave up on these and found many new makeup distractions....

Lo' and behold, Hourglass then decided to make these permanent so I got this palette a few weeks ago and I'm really very pleased with it. All 3 shades work well for my skin tone. All 3 impart a very nice, flattering but subtle sheen or brightness quickly and easily, especially compared to liquid options like MAC Strobe cream, etc. The shade I like best is, of course, the one that is only available in this palette (Incandescent) - Hourglass would do well to release this as an individual powder. I really like to use it to set my Clarins under-eye concealer - it gives more staying power in warm weather and also helps with the "concealing" effect. Additionally, the shade I like the best from the regular sized powders and which I would love to try (and will probably purchase as a single) - the colour Ethereal - isn't included in this palette. But this is a reasonable value and a great way to get an assortment of these powders without breaking the bank. Certainly, these aren't life-changing or "can't live without" products but they are darned nice to have.