Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Filtered by age: 36-43
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.4

on 2/25/2016 7:46:00 AM

There is nothing quite like Hourglass Ambient powders - it is so fine and the effect is a sheen rather than shine. With combination skin I always struggle to achieve a dewy glow without looking shiny and greasy and this is my HG when it comes to subtle glow. I use the lighter two swirled together to set undereye concealer or remove bake and the darkest one as a subtle bronzer (NC15, so too dark otherwise). It soft-focuses pores and gives that lit-from-withing glow like you have a personal light assistant.
That said, if you want a strong hightlight or strobing, you'll definitely want to use another product on high points of cheekbones or applying this wet (I use Mac Fix+ to moisten my fan brush and apply just to high points).

on 2/25/2016 4:14:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Classy Sheen that make my skin look better. No emphasis on pores. I use Dim light on trouble area and incandescent light on cheekbones. Asian skintone need not much bronzer like radiant light. So I always used up the other two before radiant light.

on 1/6/2016 9:37:00 AM

I was interested in the Hourglass ambient lighting palette because I had heard a lot of good things about their powders. I am very pale and I have one of two problems with highlighters, they are either too dark on me or they don't show up at all. I really like this palette. It's easy to overdue it though. I added too much a few times and then I looked really shiny after application. It doesn't look like you're doing much to the skin but it sneaks up on you. I bought the palette just because the individual sizes are expensive and I wanted to try out more colors but not spend a fortune. The individual sizes are much larger than the palette sizes but if there is a certain color I like then I can buy the larger size. Overall, I'm happy with this set. This is a nice highlighting palette for people who want a more natural highlight. Candlelight is a good description. If used like you're supposed to, and not with such a heavy hand like I did, it makes a beautiful soft glow to anywhere you apply it.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I got this from the VIB Rouge sale last year (2014) from Sephora.com & I kno it was ridic expensive, it's the most expensive makeup item I own...hourglass really does feel like such a luxury brand (I own 2 Hourglass items 1 being this palette & the other is their lip oil which was also ridic like $41 iirc but I had a mini lipstick I did manage to lose...). I'd love to try some of their other products but w it being so cost prohibitive it's just turned me off from buying from this line. IT WORKS! It's stunning in its subtle improvement this makes on my face. Some hi-lite are all sparklies & this is a sheen like glow of youth that glitter cannot imitate & glitter usually looks like enlarged pores/greasiness on my exteme oily skin but this does not. I have used it ALOT since I got it (at least 3-4x/wk) & not hit pan on any colors.I'll repurchase a single not the palette (thou irdk which 1) becoz I'm a frugal gal & this palette isn't a good deal. At least I got to try 3 of the powders which is a good way 2 C how I liked them w/o buying 3 singles & not being able to experiment. I think every person who is really into makeup should go for it & buy one ridic frivolous makeup item ev so often if ur gonna get a lot of use out of it, it makes it no longer that frivolous! 1 lippy "off" 4 packaging coz anything this $$$ should come w a decent brush. It would make it more portable/better for touch ups/travel.

on 3/2/2015 3:07:00 AM

Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse

This palette looks mighty scary in the pan, to me anyway, i never use shimmery powder since i have got an oily tzone, and the pan looks too shimmery to me.
My girlfriends assured its not shimmery and once it go on the skin, they are so right.
This powder is nothing I have seen before in a setting powder, it imparts a glow, not shimmery but light reflecting, healthy glow.
I still set my foundation with translucent powder first then a light dust with a mix of dim light and iredesent light (the one in the middle). It instantly blurs things out, i don't know how to describe it but its probably the nicest looking powder i have come crossed.
Even after a full day at work, i don't look greasy, its glowy!
Its super fine milled, the darkest shade works like a light bronzer for me which i love.
definitely will buy the full size if i ever run out, really great product.

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

Ladies, if you want this you'd better get it! It sold out at Sephora during the 20% off sale but I just checked and it's still available on Hourglass's website. But you may want to read my comments on the value of this vs. the individual powders below.

I've lemmed these powders since they came out and couldn't justify the price, especially when I couldn't figure out which color to get, and the claims just seem so unbelievable. Unfortunately, you get much less product with this palette (0.116 oz, or 3.3g) for $58.00, vs. a single powder with 0.35 oz, or approximately 11 grams, for $45.00. Personally, I have yet to hit pan on a highlighter since you have to apply them with such a light hand; also, I preferred to have the 3 options. So I don't regret the decision to get the palette.

I find the packaging to be quite chic, in the metallic brown that is Hourglass's packaging hallmark. It does take fingerprints like crazy. It's a heavy duty plastic with a strong closure, and comes with a nicely sized mirror. Btw, the powders don't have any chalkiness of fallout so they don't muck up the mirror much at all.

I found after some experimentation that they do in fact create subtle but different effects on my skin. I have fair-to-light skin, neutral in tone, that has a lot of redness to cover. None of these played a role in camouflaging redness in any way, and they don't claim to. They are all very, very finely milled. You won't find any glitter here, but the shimmery varies from shade to shade. Here's what I discovered about each shade, going from the left to right side of the palette:

Dim Light: the only one of the three that has absolutely no shimmer. A completely neutral beige tone. Of the three, this is probably the one that truly acted as a straight up finishing powder. It blurred away some large pores and texture issues well. I used it over Revlon Colorstay Whipped, and it just puts some radiance back into my skin after the mattifying affect of the foundation. On a good skin day I actually wore this without any foundation and it looked beautiful, just taking the pores down a notch and making me look like I just had sex. Probably my favorite shade in this palette, and the one I'd be most likely to repurchase if I ran out. Love it!

Incandescent Light: pretty much a straight-up highlighter. This has the teeniest bits of microshimmer, and it's a very pale pearly cream color, maybe with the slightest touch of peach. Didn't emphasize pores at all. If you really packed it on, it probably would, but you would have to use a trowel. Definitely my new favorite highlighter, but I don't know if I'd buy it separately for $45.00. Not that it matters, as this shade can only be bought in this palette and isn't sold individually.

Radiant Light: such a cool powder! This had probably the most noticeable color on my skin, as it's a slightly tawny gold and I have absolutely no yellow undertone in my face. It also has some microshimmer, but you won't see "glitter" when you apply it. I kind of use it as a bronzer, as it just warms my skin up a teeny bit.

I will say, this is in no way a must-have. It will not cover blemishes, or completely eliminate pores or do anything dramatic. The effects are very, very subtle. I had to play around with them for a couple of weeks to figure out how each shade would work for me and what role it would play in my makeup routine. I'm sorry, but there's just no easy or definite answer to the question, "Should I get this?" Factor in your own skin type and tone, and divide that by the money factor and maybe you'll get your answer. Or if, like me, you just WANT it, you may find an excuse to treat yourself. :)

on 10/27/2013 11:35:00 PM

I bought this with the intention of hating the product, i wanted to give it a bad review because I think this is overpriced for just a setting powder. I have oily skin and the nars light reflecting powder works great for me because it sets, prolongs my foundation and somehow keeps the oils at bay a bit longer.
Initially I was going to return this after a week of not seeing any difference. The lady at the store told me to give it another chance and since sephora had a great return policy, I decided to give it another chance. I still didn't see any difference, nothing. My skin looked fairly good as usual after my foundation and blush, I didn't see any reason for me to keep this powder. One night I decided to wear it without any makeup at all. I was under white florescent light, no foundation and normally my skin looks uneven with dark shadows under my eyes. I applied dim light on one side and I noticed on that side of my face it looked brighter and a bit even. I applied it all over and it looked good. It kind of reminds me when I freshen up my face with my Mac blot powder to even out and retouch my makeup only this time you don't see any powder or color like the blot powder.
I then applied incandescent light under my eyes and it did brighten up and make my dark shadows less noticeable.
radiant light is great as a bronzer. if you normally don't like using bronzers like i do, i actually like this. my face is kind of angular, i really don't need to contour but radiant just adds a warm glow ever so slightly. i don't know if this will show up as a bronzer on skintones darker than me.
I realize that when I apply my makeup everyday, I am faced next to my window so I have natural sunlight and everyone usually looks good under natural sunlight, that may explain why I couldn't see any difference. I think you might benefit from this product if you work indoors with lousy flat lighting. But for outdoors, in good lighting, it might be a waste of product since you won't see it's benefits.
I have decided to keep it since it will be handy for those specific occasions. I'm not sure if I would repurchase because I'm not sure it also has the benefits of my nars powder which is much cheaper. I'm thinking maybe a lot of people who gave this a good review spend most of the time indoors whereas I don't exactly work indoors everyday. I will give an update to see if it prolongs my foundation like my nars powder but for now i don't regret purchasing it. I am glad I got the palette because I would rather sample more than one than purchasing a couple of full sizes as it may take me a while to realize which works for me the best. I love the sleek packaging, it's slim and great for traveling.

on 10/23/2013 3:49:00 PM

I was really excited to try this product but unfortunately it didn't work for me. I love the look of the powder when I swatched it on my hand, but it made my skin look dry. I tried a couple of different methods to get it to work but its a fail for me. I didn't get the subtle glow everyone talks about with this, maybe the colors are just wrong for me. The compact is sleek and light weight, but it's a very expensive product, too expensive for me not to return.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I did not want to love this palette, and because I already own the "Ethereal Light" ambient powder, which is pretty, but I rarely use it, I was planning on ignoring it....HOWever, I was in Sephora the other day and while walking out, it caught my eye (Like a shining beacon of light!) and I felt myself floating over to the display. I slapped on the "Incandescent Light" under my eyes (think cheekbone area) and left the store. The whole way home and all day long, I kept looking in the mirror admiring my skin, which looked absolutely flawless, radiant and poreless. I kept trying to talk myself out of returning to Sephora, and telling myself that I had dupes available (i.e. Smashbox Halo powder, Kevyn Aucoin Candlelight, etc etc), but that did not convince me. Nothing I have ever seen imitates the beautiful pinkish/yellowish/glowing product. SO, long story short, I went back and owned this palette. I absolutely LOVE it, the Incandescent light goes with anything I am wearing on my face (foundation, powder, or nothing), the Dim Light melts into my skin and works as a setting powder, making my skin flawless. The only thing is that I haven't quite figured out how to use the third color, however I am sure I will. Great product, expensive, yes, but way worth it!!