Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette

Filtered by age: 19-24
Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette
Hourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass Ambient lighting powder palettehourglass ambient lighting powder paletteHourglass ambient lighting powder palette

4.6

on 7/28/2016 5:06:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

The formula of the Ambient Lighting powders is really worth the moderately-high $62 price point. Each of the three powders are very finely milled and will not settle into fine lines or become cakey after wearing throughout the day. And although I find that this palette does not function as a traditional highlighting palette (think: ABH glow-kit or the Mary-Lou Manizer), I find that each shade works in a completely different, subtle, and successful way.

Dim: To set concealer and foundation, I lightly sweep Dim all over my base with a fluffy powder brush. The Dim Light powder subtly softens and illuminates the appearance of the skin without looking powdery or shimmery.

Incandescent: Of the three, this shade most closely resembles a highlighter and is perfect for setting the undereye area. I also use Incandescent on top of my blush for a soft, airbrushed glow.

Radiant: Because I have very pale skin and this shade is darker than my skin tone, I use this powder around the perimeter of my face as a very subtle, glowy bronzer.

Unfortunately, I do not often use the Radiant Light powder as the color is a bit too dark for me. For this reason, I would not repurchase the palette but would instead buy full-sized singles of Dim and Incandescent.

on 4/9/2016 9:20:00 AM

This is by far the best highlighting palette i have ever used!

Fyi, I have oily, blemish prone and sensitive skin user. I currently live in humid conditions, ranging about 91.4 °F, my current foundations shades include Bareminerals serum foundation 07 bare natural, Stila foundation Hue 5.

This is the most expensive makeup product I have by far. Unlike most ppl, I didn't jump on the bandwagon immediately when this product came out, and I only decided to purchase it about a year later since it was so highly raved and I was still living on a budget. Costs about $120 in my country.

If you're about the "cake face" that is all about foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, blush, contour and strong highlight like you see on IG and tumblr pics, I can tell you right away that this is NOT the product for you. There is nothing wrong about the cake face, but this product and the brand emphasizes on the "glowing from within" look.

When i first purchased it, i have to admit that i was sorely disappointed - only because i thought it was a product that would give me a very strong "bam" highlight that you see on IG. When i first applied it with a fan brush it looked nothing like I wanted. And i never wanted to do a review on here because everyone kept raving about it and i never understood it. I threw it aside for about 6 months before i started using it recently.

I will say first that I have so far only used "Dim light", the two other shades are beautiful when i swatched it but i haven't gotten around to using it yet, but i know i wouldn't be disappointed this time round.

Why do i love it now? Recently i've been going for the youthful, "glowing from within" look. And this product, along with this brand is everything that emphasizes this look. Its not about having a strong highlight and heavy contour, its about enhancing what you have and bringing out a youthful, radiant look.

Again, when i started using it with a fan brush, I realized how natural it looks with just one sweep. It is very pigmented. Its not strong, but not subtle either. It instantly gives you that you've just been hit with the sunlight look but yet looks extremely natural. I love it.

Longevity wise, I feel that it lasts about the average max 6-8hrs. When i apply makeup, i do use a makeup setting spray (currently using UD all nighter makeup setting spray, HG for oily girls like me). However i don't think this product ever claimed to be long lasting. So I can look past that.

All in all,
Pros:
+ versatile, 3 shades for variety
+ sleek packaging
+ pigmentation is good
+ a little goes a very long way
+ buildable coverage if you want a bit more highlight
+ natural, radiant looking

Cons:
- possibly the price
- longevity wise, i feel like wearing time could be longer

Will i repurchase this palette again? Probably not, because of the price and this product does go a very long way, i feel that i can only use it up after a few years, who knows by then other competitors might come out a similar palette but at a cheaper rate.

HOWEVER, i will say though that for the price that you pay for this product, it is very worth it. You get 3 shades, a good sized mirror, and compact enough for travel. The quality of the product and the packaging speaks for itself, I am willing to pay the $120 because of that.

If anything, if i do run out of this palette, i could only imagine myself buying that one shade "dim light" powder as an individual because it is the shade that i am currently loving the most.

If you have never tried this brand or contemplating about this palette, i will say that it is something that you could try out if you want to splurge, because you won't be disappointed, if you have a better understanding about the brand itself. It is a good staple for your everyday look, but not something that you'd see yourself repurchasing again since its so expensive.

Hope this helps! :)

LOVE it! People comment on how nice my skin looked every time I wore it.

on 1/21/2016 6:57:00 PM

This palette is so pretty! I love that it gives a subtle glow but can also give a nice luminous finish as a setting powder.

on 11/22/2015 11:45:00 AM

I have had this product for a month and use it every single day. My complexion is fair (usually fairest foundation shade in every range). I use dim light and incandescent light swirled together all over my face and as an undereye setting powder, and then radiant light on the perimeters of my face to give me a very subtle bronzed glow.
It is perfect over foundation but also when I just wear concealer. You can't really see the powder on the skin but overall it just makes me look healthy and glowy in a very natural way.

I love this stuff! It's beautiful, light and gives you an amazing glow. I find it lasts really long and if it's not lasting long then you need to use less, hourglass makeup is intended to make you look great without anyone being able to tell it's on your face - resist the urge to be heavy handed!

Dim light is my all round finishing powder and it blurs all my bumps and creases into smoothness. Incandescent Light is a great highlighter for my daytime makeup and then at night I combine it with another highlighter. Radiant light I use on top of bronzer, blush and or concealer to add a bit of a sunny glow. When I go out I swipe a big brush over all of them and use that as my last bit of powder which looks fantastic IMO.

It is really expensive, but I love it so much that I justify it and well...beauty is pain...the painful demise of your bank accounts.

on 1/25/2015 6:13:00 PM

Hesitance and lemming all at the same time.

I have wanted this palette for ages, due to 'Radiant Light' and 'Incandescent Light' being in the palette. Moreso, I did not want to spill $52 CAD for a large Radiant Light that I would likely never finish.

However, why was I hesitant? A. The price, and B. Dim light. That powder that I did not hit off with when I purchased a fullsize during the VIB 20% sale due to the hype.

I am NC15 for reference. With dry skin. My everyday powder all over (due to not needing a setting powder) is HG Ethereal or Diffused light. I lay these other three powders over as 'finishing powders' or face colors. Those with oilier skins may need a setting powder as these do not control oil.

After playing around, I realized that this palette was a perfect 'subtle enough for work, yet beautiful for everyday and photos etc' depending on how much I layered it. For my personal daily use, I wear a sheer layer of each.

Dim light: darker than my skintone, beigey peach powder. This served for me as a contour (oh my.) It's subtle and wouldn't work for those with darker skintones in this purpose, but I love it under the cheekbones for a subtle color. It's the only way I can use this shade. All over my face, it alters the colour of my foundation, and on my cheeks, it goes on patchy and has the color of a terrible patchy brown-pink tone.

Incandescent light: A subtle highlight that has more sheen than Ethereal Light or Diffused Light. I would only use this on high peaks of the face, ( as I have not tried it allover yet and do not plan on doing so.)

Radiant light: The one I was looking most forward to, which others found curious why. This is a perfect bronzer. Light, and slight sheen, it is rather orange, which was precisely what I wanted it for. Due to it's formulation, and with use of brushes that lend itself for light application, I love this atop my cheeks as a bronzer. ( I do not use this for contouring. ) This is my favourite of the palette which makes me happy.

To be honest, I do not think this is necessary in anyone's stash. We've all got highlighters, powders, bronzers, etc. If you're able to set aside some cash for this, I'd suggest trying it if you had your eye on them. I know the price is not exactly reasonable at $67 CAD. It's not necessary, but I do love it. :)

on 10/8/2014 2:53:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I returned this because it didn't give me the highlight that I desire. It gives you a subtle... something, but it's not really a highlight. So if you're looking for something to really illuminate your cheeks, this is probably not the right product. But the quality is amazing. The powder is very very smooth and finely milled.

on 9/30/2014 2:01:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I've had this palette since November of last year and I just haven't got as much use out of it as I would've liked for how expensive this is.

Dim Light is just a bit too dark for my skin for an all over powder. My sister who is a shade or two darker than me loves this shade and can use it all over her face. Because I'm trying to find a use for this I've decided to use it as sort of a blending agent for my contouring under my cheekbones. I also run this around the perimeter of my forehead, which sounds odd, but my forehead is pretty big so I like to try to slim it down using contouring. This shade doesn't really do a whole lot for me.

Incandescent Light is a nice highlight. It's nothing special though in comparison to the other highlighters I own. I have a lot of highlighters, so maybe someone with a smaller collection would appreciate this more!

Radiant Light is a light shimmery bronzer. At least that's what I use it for. I'm not too wowed by this either because I'm not really one for shimmery bronzer in general.

I think when I purchased this I really wanted to see what the hype was about so I figured the best way to see was to get one palette with three shades to try. Well, I purchased Diffused Light right after this and I absolutely love it. I'm almost out and will definitely be repurchasing that shade. I think it's best to really know your skin and what you really use before you pay this much for something. Yes, it is a good deal, however keep in mind it isn't for everyone!

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette is possibly the most decadent, over the top, unnecessary make up product in all of my make up collection, but since everybody and their mother seems to be talking about these right now I felt compelled to go and buy it.
I know that a lot of people love the powders and the blushes but from most of the reviews I read a lot of people suggested buying this palette first to get an idea of what to expect, so I did exactly that. You get three beautiful shades called Dim Light, Incandescent Light (limited edition) & Radiant Light.
At first, like most others, I assumed this to be a highlighter palette, but it is in fact finishing powders designed to enhance and flatter your skin. The 'healthy glow effect' if you will. I was a little bit scared when I first found out they were finishing powders, I like dewy glowy skin as much as the next person but the sheer amount of shimmer in them made me feel a little like I was going to look as though I'd been smacked in the face with glitter. I could not be more wrong though.
Pretty much what they are designed to do is bring the life back into the face after you've done all your make up. They are not setting powders; seeing as setting powders are mostly designed to mattify and keep the make up in place. They simply finish the face to give you a subtle glow that sometimes we take away by using matte products all the time.
Anyway, the shades themselves are as follows:
. Dim Light- This is a very neutral toned pale beige shade, with very pale subtle satiny sheen. When applied to the skin, in neither darkened nor lightened my face at all, hence the neutral tone making it almost translucent. It just gives you a little bit of 'health' back into the face, it is also the least shimmery of the three in the palette.
. Incandescent Light- Again a very pale beige ivory shade with white shimmer running through it, and very neutral toned once again. This is probably the only shade in the palette designed to be placed on the high points of the face like cheekbones, nose bridge and cupids bow. Its pearlescent shimmer makes it one of the prettiest highlighters I own.
. Radiant Light- This is a peachy orange shade that looks a little like it could be a very pale bronzer for a fair person like me but it is still a finishing powder. It a light to medium tone, so for fair skinned people this will make you look a bit warmer, because again it blends out so it doesn't make you look orange or anything like that. I actually find this accompanies a bronzer very well though, it makes it look more glowy and sheeny and beautiful.
The main reason why I say this palette is 'decadent' is because you don't need a finishing powder, although it has changed my make up dramatically, its not necessary for use every day. Plus it is ridiculously expensive, if I were on a budget this would be the first thing I'd cut out, but on the flip side the quality is unreal. The powders are so soft and delicate to the touch and you don't need a lot of the product so it should last you a good while, seeing as you don't need to pack it on to make a difference.
Overall, I love it. It gives a gorgeous glow and people have commented that my skin looks healthier and radiant on more than one occasion which makes me feel good about having spent the money on it. Would most definitely recommend, not sure if I'd be able to afford repurchase all the time but I probably will be buying more from the line.