L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

Filtered by hair type : Straight
L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

3.3

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I don’t like this. I have long lashes, and the mascara does lengthen them greatly but it weighs them down and undoes even the slightest curl. It looks great when I first apply it, but it looks awful after only two hours. It also tends to shed and smear a bit around my eyes. To top it off, it is not cheap either. Just overall not a good product.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm

I got the nice lashes/manly body hair gene, but I do like to pump up the volume. I bought Voluminous Butterfly in Blackest Black 868, and it's one of the better mascaras I've tried. It really lengthens and blackens, and gives volume to the extent that I keep getting distracted by the giant fringe of eyelashes lurking in my peripheral vision. The only thing I don't like is that the separation isn't great; I'm not sure if I'm using too much, or not enough, or if I just need to invest in a lash comb. I feel I might have an easier time with Voluminous Butterfly once it's dried out a bit. I don't seem to poke myself in the eye with this brush as much as I do other volumizing mascara brushes, which is a plus.

Despite being non waterproof, it stayed on through me getting caught in the rain multiple times in one afternoon. It takes ~3 micellar water soaked cotton rounds to remove completely, but I consider that a good balance between lasting power and ease of removal, for my needs.

on 6/24/2017 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I dislike this mascara because it tends to undo my curls instantly, and a minute after putting this on, it's like I haven't even curled my lashes at all! The only good thing about this mascara is that it doesn't clump, but other than that, I hated it and ended up throwing it out. The regular L'Oreal Voluminous mascara is so much better, and I will continue to use that one instead.

[0]

on 1/27/2017 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have researched and tried countless mascaras. I have rather average lashes lengthwise but they are thin and not noticeable unless coated with mascara - and as I age they get more sparse. I have had certain brands make them brittle and break, so now I have to be extra careful. There are several mascaras I've used that are okay, but nothing really gives that lush look except false lashes. This does come close, however. It does clump a little if not used carefully, but it does give length and volume to lashes - some at my age might think too much.

One caveat - I accidentally bought the waterproof version first (the "waterproof" indication is small indeed). I figured I would use it, but I tried four times with three different waterproof makeup removers and it never came off (I figure it will just wear off...taking a few days). Waterproof? It's tsunami-proof. If you swim with mascara this might be a good choice. I did note that someone suggested petroleum jelly to remove it. I don't need anything that waterproof!

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

This is my go-to mascara, and I'm surprised that as of right now only 65% would repurchase. I have long, decently thick lashes that have a natural curl. I know I'm probably pretty lucky in this department. However, my lashes are super light. They are almost invisible without mascara. I purchase this in Black, and I've had several people ask me what mascara I use because it looks so great. The brush is unique and may take some getting used to for some people. I find it grips the lashes well. I hold the wand horizontally with the smaller, tapered end pointing toward my nose. I start at the base of the lashes, wiggle the wand just a little, and then slowly move the brush straight up the lashes. Go slow until you get used to it because yes, the formula is pretty wet, and yes, it will smudge at first if you aren't careful. The formula covers/coats the lashes really well, is a nice dark black, and lasts almost all day. My lashes look super long, a bit thicker than normal, and nicely separated. I've never had any major issues with it transferring or running under my eyes to give the dreaded raccoon effect. Just for fun, I did try the waterproof version one time, and it was awful--clumpy, didn't separate, hard to apply, and just all-around awful. It's about $8 or $9 U.S. dollars at the various drugstores, Target, etc. Give it a try (not the waterproof version!) and play with different ways of holding the wand and whatnot to get it to work for you. :)

on 5/16/2016 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've tried the new Butterfly Sculpt several times and I've decided I like it. I am impressed by the way it works on the lower lashes which is rare for a mascara. It takes a long time to paint the lashes on until they are just right, but the results are worth it.

It has a totally unique plastic brush with one flat side and odd tiny teeth and is supposed to tightline the lashes. I don't try for that but it does build long, dark lashes. I just keep turning the wand to apply and then separate. If you add more than three coats it begins to get that stiff, lacquered look. So if I stop after two coats the results are very similar to the best mascaras. I just don't like the intricate brush design much because you can't just brush it on normally. It's a delicate process and the lashes will start sticking to each other because it dries so fast so you have to keep turning the brush to separate them with the comb before they dry. But if you have the time to invest, it's kind of fun and the results can be very good.

Update: By the way - when I started removing it, I couldn't believe how resistant it was to my usually reliable oil based remover. It just would not come off easily. Then I looked at it and saw I had accidentally bought the waterproof version. I haven't used one of those in so long I forgot what they were like.

Update May 27/16: I've realized that I can't stand the horrible ordeal of removing it. It's not worth it to me. I need a mascara that works and is removable with soap and water or just water. The cleansers - all of them - are too harsh on my skin. Therefore I am not using any of the industrial glue/resin/lacquer mascaras again and going back to the old school normal ones. A mascara this hard on the eyes is not a good idea. There are plenty of mascaras that give stunning length and volume and can be washed off easily.

Update July 14, 2016: because of harsh makeup like this, I now use no eye makeup at all. I don't know if or when I will try makeup again but I have thrown out all of the ones that are weapons on the eyes, like this one. It seriously does not matter if the mascara makes your lashes beautiful, if it hurts you to remove it and it takes weeks to heal the eyelids.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Admittedly, I haven't yet tried the mascara, only the wand. But I really feel I must tell you how much I love it, and why. I will update this review as soon as I buy the mascara and test out the formula, which should be very soon despite the fact that I have too many mascaras right now.

Can a woman ever really have too much makeup? Wait, don't answer that question. :P

Anyhoo, yesterday I was in Walmart and there was this woman there with a small kiosk set up. As soon as I realized it was for L'Oreal, I made a beeline straight to her. Who doesn't love free makeup and coupons?

Apparently, L'Oreal is coming out with a new line of moisturizers that are designed for women in different stages of life, such as 20s, 30s, 40s and so on. This sounds great, and the moisturizer I tried on my hand was decent, but the numbers are awkward, because they're labeled: 25, 35, 45, 55. So it's halfway through each decade of life. This is nothing short of odd, plain and simple. I know I got off on a tangent here, but I wanted to throw that info out there in case someone reading this sees them and has no idea what those random numbers on lotion jars mean.

But back to the mascara. The nice woman gave me the wand to keep, but unfortunately there was no mascara to try with it, so I honestly have no idea how good the formula is yet.

However, I can say with 100% certainty that if you like long, separately defined lashes then you will more than likely adore this wand. As far as I'm concerned, a mascara is only as good as its wand. It could be the most expensive mascara in the world, but if the wand is crappy, fuhgettaboutit.

In this case, the wand is simply wonderful if length, not volume, is what you like. If you use a volumizing mascara first, then layer that with a lengthening mascara (which a lot of makeup artists do), then you might also really love this wand.

For many years I was all about volumizing, preferring that over length, then I started to layer mascaras so I could have the best of both worlds. It wasn't until recently that I realized using a lengthening mascara gives a very clean, simple look that calls attention to the lashes for just being pretty.

Sometimes the star of the show is the eyelashes, and for those occasions I prefer simplicity and length which this wand offers in heaps.

* I know it doesn't matter, but I've never in my life found a mascara that both volumized and lengthened. It seems they're either good for only one or the other, because of the limitations of the wand. But maybe someday that special mascara will be created and we can all weep with joy. Until then, the hunt is on for the perfect blend of mascaras.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I looooove this mascara. It's the first mascara I've used that actually made my lashes look different, it lengthens like crazy in a natural way, to the point where people have complimented them which like NEVER happens, and it also gives definition, though not that much volume despite the name. I also appreciate that the packaging is pretty sleek compared to the super bulky, bright neon tubes taking over the makeup aisle. I've bought it multiple times. However, it does flake a bit, and my eyes are quite sensitive and this makes my eyes red and dry :( so I'm on the hunt again for a gentler mascara that hopefully can be as pretty as this one.

i bought this in the waterproof version because my stick straight, downward pointing asian lashes can't handle normal mascara formulas. the weird brush was difficult to work with, and all it did was clump up my lashes which defeated the whole reason why i bought this in the first place.

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a very good mascara but there are much better mascaras out there. I have fairly long lashes, but they're kind of flimsy and don't have a lot of them, so I need volume and definition more than length. This delivers the length but not the volume, and if the name "voluminous" is in the product name...well, I have to penalize you, L'oreal.

There's probably a learning curve for many with the brush, but I think it's ingenious. I think when I first looked at it and thought, Okay, which way is this supposed to go? You can turn it to the side with the shorter bristles to get really close to the base of your lashes and deposit more product; then the longer side brushes through your lashes to comb through every one and remove any large clumps.

Unfortunately, I think it's the longer bristles that comb too much product out of the lashes so it's hard to build up. I also think the bristles are so close together they don't define each lash separately, so when you do build up more product you start to get that "I have only five really big lashes" look. And the formula was nice and smooth at first; not too wet, not too dry. Now I get little clumps, and I've only had the mascara for a month. Such a shame!

Such a nice try, L'oreal! Great brush that needs tweaking; same thing for the formula. So close!