L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly

Filtered by skin type : Normal
L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly
Voluminous ButterflyVoluminous ButterflyVoluminous ButterflyBest drugstore mascaraVoluminous Butterfly

3.8

on 8/9/2018 7:15:00 PM

I found this is the ONLY mascara (because of its weird brush-comb !! ) that will work on my lower eyelashes without hitting the skin and having to touch up smears. Fat brushes don't work for lower lashes at all...or even normal brushes, IMHO. Thumbs up for that!

on 6/24/2017 8:54:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

I dislike this mascara because it tends to undo my curls instantly, and a minute after putting this on, it's like I haven't even curled my lashes at all! The only good thing about this mascara is that it doesn't clump, but other than that, I hated it and ended up throwing it out. The regular L'Oreal Voluminous mascara is so much better, and I will continue to use that one instead.

[0]

on 1/27/2017 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have researched and tried countless mascaras. I have rather average lashes lengthwise but they are thin and not noticeable unless coated with mascara - and as I age they get more sparse. I have had certain brands make them brittle and break, so now I have to be extra careful. There are several mascaras I've used that are okay, but nothing really gives that lush look except false lashes. This does come close, however. It does clump a little if not used carefully, but it does give length and volume to lashes - some at my age might think too much.

One caveat - I accidentally bought the waterproof version first (the "waterproof" indication is small indeed). I figured I would use it, but I tried four times with three different waterproof makeup removers and it never came off (I figure it will just wear off...taking a few days). Waterproof? It's tsunami-proof. If you swim with mascara this might be a good choice. I did note that someone suggested petroleum jelly to remove it. I don't need anything that waterproof!

on 5/5/2016 8:47:00 AM

I just tried the new L'Oréal Voluminous Butterfly Sculpt mascara. I have very sparse, thin eyelashes but this stuff makes them look amazing! The brush is more like a comb and it really gets every lash and even gives an eyeliner effect at the very base.

I received this mascara as a birthday gift and have been using it for at least half a year now. It's quickly become my favorite mascara to use. Personally, I believe a mascara's worth is because of the wand, and less so the formula. I'm really a big fan of this wand, which curves and fits my lashes great considering I'm an East Asian with straight, medium length lashes. I don't think I see a remarkable difference in length, but holy moly do these curl my lashes or what?

I start out with the straight edge to apply a thin layer of the product, and then apply my second layer using to convex curve side of the brush which is when I really see the product work on opening my eyes. The curl is less noticeable by the end of the day, but I don't stress or care enough for that to think any differently of this mascara.

I wouldn't say I would go out of my way to buy this product again, because I enjoy testing out different mascaras (it's not as important to me as skincare is). But I do recommend this product as one to test out.

My only complaint... Why the heck are these so unnecessarily big? Like, does this really need to be fatter than my concealer stick?

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My new TOTALLY scientific method for choosing a mascara: choose a word that best encapsulates the characteristic that you want out of one and then choose the product that has the most similar letters in the product name. I tested this theory once and achieved a 100% success rate, BTW.

In my case, the chosen word was "fluttery" and wouldn't you know it, 100% of the letters ALSO appear in "L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly"! Butterfly...fluttery. Fluttery like a butterfly.

Yup, you just know that's gonna be a good match.

And that is how I finally decided to pick up this little ol' thing that I'd been eyeballing for months. The only reason it took so long to finally take the plunge is because I'd take one look at the brush head in the package and get scared and put it back on the shelf. Also, I was still working on a deluxe sample of Lancôme's Hypnôse Drama, so the timing wasn't right.

Anyway, getting to the point. Turns out that I was wasting my time with all the other mascaras I've tried. This one does everything I've ever wanted in a mascara (non-waterproof formula, BTW). Doesn't clump. Doesn't smear. Holds up all day, even through runs where I get "dewy". Washes off easily. Those are the basics.

Aesthetically, this is a champ. Turns out that the brush head that looked so terrifying in the package does the best job of anything ever in the history of the world in terms of creating exactly what I'd been looking for all along. Yup, perfectly fluttery lashes. Butterfly lashes!

The brush has multiple sides to it, including one that combs/lifts your outer lashes so that they're sort of sideswept. I'm not quite sure how to properly describe the effect, but it draws them out so that your lashes extend past the outer corners of your eyes, so your eyes actually look wider. No other mascara I've tried has done anything quite like it. For me, that's the perfect effect since I don't exactly have the widest eyes.

The other notable effect I achieved with this stuff is making it look like I have more lashes than I actually do. The key thing is that the volumizing effects were achieved not by clumping or from a thick coating of product, but through separation and definition. The comb does an amazing job of that and the end effect is "feathery" rather than heavy-handed, as other mascara products sometimes tend to be. It's a different way of achieving volume and I vastly prefer the outcome.

It's also the first mascara I've ever been able to use on my otherwise non-existent lower lashes. Normally I don't even bother since it's just about impossible to apply mascara to next-to-nothingness, but the short side of the brush tackled that too, and somehow managed to coat what looked like "air", though apparently what I'd thought was "air" all along turned out to be microscopic lashes that can be made visible to the naked eye with with product applied. I don't know how I feel about that aspect of the overall look though, as I'm so unused to having lower lashes. But, it's nice to know there's at least one product that can handle them.

In sum, this is a 5/5 product for me, no reservations. I will repurchase unless something better comes my way or my eyes fall out. Or, I might try the other version of this stuff. But yeah, much love.

EDIT 8.05.2015: Two plus weeks into using this and still have just as much mad love and feel no need to look for another mascara at this point. Applying mascara used to be a somewhat perfunctory part of my routine; I now consider it the funnest part besides slapping on lipstick. I'm never gonna have MAD DRAMA EYES! with this stuff but that's not a look that works for me anyway.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Totally amazing

on 6/18/2015 12:26:00 PM

This one did nothing for my short straight lashes. In one coat I dare to say it made my lashes look worse than they do on their own, since it uncurled them. Second coat (and I never do second coats, since I prefer a more natural look, but here I felt like I had to) dramatically increased volume, but it right away became spider leg territory when I tried to comb though clumped lashes. And this thing starts flaking immediately! Scent doesn't bother me. Comb is awkward and gimmicky, I poked myself in the eye and pretty much got mascara all over my face. This thing needs a manual. I didn't like the tube, it's the cheap kind of shiny. But wouldn't care if the formula were better. Washed off easily, so that's nice. Maybe it gets better once it dries up a bit? I might try a few more times, but I don't have high hopes.

on 4/3/2015 12:02:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

I'd been eyeing this out for a while because of the shiny-licious tube, and was unpleasantly surprised when it turned out to be the ONLY mascara in the history of my mascara usage that has ever flaked on me.

I will continue to use this because it DOES give the volume that is expected -seeing as it is a L'Oreal voluminous... but i can't wait until something better comes on sale that will save me from this black-pepper-under-eye nightmare. Not cool considering i paid 10 dollars for this, not cool at all.

Granted if i stay inside all day and don't move much then the flaking is minimal, but....ugh, such a disappointment, i really hoped i would love this.

2/5 for the thickness it gives my lashes, 3 lippies taken off for unsightly and un-beautifying flakes.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My go-to for over two decades has been original Voluminous--first brown-black, and then carbon black. I go back to it because I can't find anything else I like better, but I hate how it dries out so quickly and can get a bit overly thick/clumpy.

I tried the Butterfly one because I'm open to any variation in the Voluminous family--and wow! This is a welcome addition. The formula is much thinner and smoother than the original one, and the uniquely shaped brush separates my lashes quite well and coats them from top to bottom. NO clumping. Time will tell how long a bottle lasts, but I'm already seeing a way better lifespan from it than original.

It does flake by the end of the day, but I haven't met the mascara that doesn't so I'm not downgrading for that. Excellent effort, can't argue with price, and I will repurchase. Probably at least two!