L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

Filtered by skin type : Very Dry
L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

3.4

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

For reference: I have very long lashes, and down-turned eyes.

I have mixed emotions on this mascara. I am going to break my review down into two parts:

***** [ The wand ] *****
5 stars for this wand! This amazing little piece of technology is the HG of mascara wands. The inner edge of the brush is longer than the rest. Seems like an ok idea, until you use this on down-turned eyes. If you understand the struggle of down-turned eyes: getting your outer lashes to get any product, much less curl or lift when they slope down - nearly impossible. Getting lift there is especially important for this eye shape too!
This wand makes it SO easy. I can not say enough good things about the shape of this wand. If you have down-turned eyes, I highly recommend purchasing, if just to give the wand a try.

* [ The mascara formula ] *
1 star for the formula. I want to love this mascara, because I adore the wand. But the formula isn't working so well for me. I think it coats very nicely, and gives my long lashes a nice bit of curl and length. Very little flaking with this too. Overall, it gives a nice look, but it makes my lashes hard as rock. I also find it quite difficult to remove.

It has a very strong smell. A slightly chemical type smell. I find myself still smelling it throughout the day, even hours after application.

The biggest let down for me is when I try to remove it at the end of the day, or even touch my lashes while wearing it, my eyelashes fall out. Maybe it is coincidence, because the formula is so hard when it dries? But when I use my smashbox mascara, I don't notice this. It is difficult to remove, which only adds to the problem. I was noticing lashes on my makeup remover cloth nightly - enough to alarm me a little bit.

***** [ Conclusion ] *****
I don't plan on purchasing again. I would LOVE to use this wand every day, but not this mascara formula. I hope that L'Oreal keeps the wand, and adds that same shape to some of their other formulas.

on 8/30/2015 8:36:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Kinky, Fine

This mascara makes my lashes look super long & voluminous, doesn't clump even with multiple coats AND it dpesn't make my lashes crispy. It is also waterproof and affordable. This mascara is basically perfect.

on 7/30/2014 9:50:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this recently and I love it! If you are looking for a simple look, it's perfect. Not clumpy at all, divides the lashes pretty evenly. I usually use this with another mascara for a more dramatic effect. I've already bought another one.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Edit: I did not use the waterproof one

I just want to state that my lashes are long and that i do not use any lash growth. The problem i have with my lashes is thickness.

I uploaded a close up picture of both my eyes (the one w/o the mascara tube). Each eye has 1 coat of mascara. This mascara is pretty intense on making your lashes voluminous. 1 coat is enough...anymore than that and it will get clumpy.
The formula is wet, which isn't a big deal for me.
The only time it flaked was when i was combing through the lashes. I just swept it off my cheek and I had no further issues with flaking. no big deal for me.
The brush was soft but hard enough to comb through the lashes, which i felt was nice.

I felt like it brought a lot of volume and added some length and gave it a slight curl. Something funny to note, my eyelashes could touch my brow bone with this mascara, which kind of tickled. lol

Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure

I couldn't wait to try the butterfly mascara and was excited when I found it on sale. The brush is very unique to fan out the wings of your lashes and separate even the smaller lashes. The formula is very wet. You should wait for the first coat to at least partially dry before putting on multiple coats to get the desired effect. However, I was very sad and disappointed that this mascara is not made for us ladies who wear contacts and have gentle eyes. After beginning to apply my multiple coats of mascara my eyes began to burn like acid and I couldn't get the mascara off soon enough to relieve the pain! I've never experienced that with any other mascara before. I don't consider my eyes extra gentle either. This formula just was way too strong for me!! I was so sad! I really had high hopes for this mascara. Not so much haha!! Hope you ladies have a better experience than me!!!