L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly

L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly

3.7

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

One of the worst mascaras I've ever tried. It seems like a good idea- the comb style applicator but it just made a huge mess when I tried to get into the roots of my naturally blonde lashes. I have almond shaped eyes and they aren't large but not extremely small. I would say my eyes are average in size. To maneuver this applicator, I think you would have to have large eyes. L'Oréal has some great mascaras- this isn't one of them and it's not inexpensive.

on 2/2/2017 3:14:00 PM

I have a tube of this that I'm trying to finish up but I just can't bring myself to continue using it! I've used the original Voluminous Million Lashes and I LOVE it, but this formula is a bit thinner and takes longer to dry. I hate the brush. I think it might work for some people, but I'm not one of those people. The color and opacity are great and the end result is decent, I just can't get past the brush. Pairing that brush with the thinner formula causes a weird product buildup that takes longer to dry and more layers of application to reach the desired length. I always end up with wet mascara smudged all over my face and I really have no idea how or why. While this could absolutely work for some people, it just isn't doing it for me.

on 1/27/2017 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have researched and tried countless mascaras. I have rather average lashes lengthwise but they are thin and not noticeable unless coated with mascara - and as I age they get more sparse. I have had certain brands make them brittle and break, so now I have to be extra careful. There are several mascaras I've used that are okay, but nothing really gives that lush look except false lashes. This does come close, however. It does clump a little if not used carefully, but it does give length and volume to lashes - some at my age might think too much.

One caveat - I accidentally bought the waterproof version first (the "waterproof" indication is small indeed). I figured I would use it, but I tried four times with three different waterproof makeup removers and it never came off (I figure it will just wear off...taking a few days). Waterproof? It's tsunami-proof. If you swim with mascara this might be a good choice. I did note that someone suggested petroleum jelly to remove it. I don't need anything that waterproof!

on 1/18/2017 7:34:00 AM

This is a pretty good mascara. It is one of my favorite drugstore mascaras...once you get the hang of the brush, it is easy to apply and it does make my lashes darker, fuller, and longer, without clumping. The tube lasts several months for me, too. I like this mascara. Not LOVE, but I like it. And I like it enough to re-purchase.

on 12/15/2016 8:13:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

This is like my second tube of this mascara and this is amazing. I have the waterproof one and it lasts all day! It may seem hard to take off from the lashes but the trick is to use petroleum jelly or some oil.

on 12/5/2016 2:44:00 AM

Loreal as a brand I would have to say is exceptional, I've tried many of they're products the mascaras have been awesome have yet to be disappointed. This one here in particular builds up long lashes has staying power as far as the curl and lasts all day. My daughter loves this one as well, the wand takes some getting used too but once you get the feel of it you will see how it separates your lashes with no clumping and appreciate the finish it leaves. Your eyes will stand out with this one

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

This is my go-to mascara, and I'm surprised that as of right now only 65% would repurchase. I have long, decently thick lashes that have a natural curl. I know I'm probably pretty lucky in this department. However, my lashes are super light. They are almost invisible without mascara. I purchase this in Black, and I've had several people ask me what mascara I use because it looks so great. The brush is unique and may take some getting used to for some people. I find it grips the lashes well. I hold the wand horizontally with the smaller, tapered end pointing toward my nose. I start at the base of the lashes, wiggle the wand just a little, and then slowly move the brush straight up the lashes. Go slow until you get used to it because yes, the formula is pretty wet, and yes, it will smudge at first if you aren't careful. The formula covers/coats the lashes really well, is a nice dark black, and lasts almost all day. My lashes look super long, a bit thicker than normal, and nicely separated. I've never had any major issues with it transferring or running under my eyes to give the dreaded raccoon effect. Just for fun, I did try the waterproof version one time, and it was awful--clumpy, didn't separate, hard to apply, and just all-around awful. It's about $8 or $9 U.S. dollars at the various drugstores, Target, etc. Give it a try (not the waterproof version!) and play with different ways of holding the wand and whatnot to get it to work for you. :)

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

Works great if you want long,curled lashes! The brush is odd,but once your used to it,its no problem.The black is nice and dark,the formula is outstanding.I find it works even greater the more you use it .Use the wand slowly and go straight upward! Just can't beat it!!

This mascara is "meh." The brush is definitely unique, although difficult to use. I tend to be pretty clean when applying mascara, but this never fails to get all over my eyelid. It doesn't look bad though, it's an average mascara. I have oily eyelids and this does tend to smudge a little under my eyebrow (I have long lashes). I can imagine that someone with normal to dry skin wouldn't have that problem though! The price is fair, but a little pricey for a drugstore mascara (around eleven bucks). I have used mascaras that work better on me, but I can't say I hate this one!

on 7/13/2016 11:15:00 PM

My favorite drugstore mascara. I have average lashes and when I want dramatic lashes this is my go to mascara. It's a heavy mascara you apply with the brush side and then use the comb side to lengthen, de-clump and wow watch them go! Also has great staying power. A "must have" in my makeup bag.

Popular Mascaras