L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

3.7

I have forever been envious of my brothers luck. You ladies know what I am talking about. All the men in your life got the long, dark, thick eyelashes and you are stuck paying $10 for some goop that you hope will make your lashes look even half as luscious and beautiful as theirs. But finding that perfect mixture of a mascara that lengthens and volumizes without looking like you've got a whole 3 ginormous lashes that seem to be mashed together with tar has been a never ending quest. I however have finally ended that life long, soul crushing quest. This mascara fills all my desires and needs. The wand may look a tad bit intimidating at first, but I think it is really effective for those who have reallllllllllllly small inner lashes. I don't get mascara on the side of my nose anymore and the rest of my lashes look at natural as possible while still lengthening my lashes and making them appear thicker. I've also had no allergic reaction to this, nor have I noticed it coming off without prompting. It does take a bit extra work to get it off, even though I don't believe it is waterproof but in the swamp lands of Florida a mascara that doesn't melt off my eyes while it is 90 degrees still in the middle of October is worth the extra scrub to get it off.

on 10/9/2013 2:06:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

I found the Butterfly mascara at my local Walmart (I haven't seen it in other stores yet). The unusually shaped butterfly wand and cute silver packaging drew me in. I had to try it.

The brush is a rubber type - not a traditional fluffy bristle brush. The brush basically has 3 sides. Two of the sides are wider at the base of the brush, and they become narrower as it reaches the tip - it forms a little triangle shape. The third side looks like a straight row of normal rubber bristles.

I didn't know if the shape of the brush would make a difference in application, but it does. As I apply the mascara, the wider part of the brush catches the lashes on the outer corners of my eyes along with the rest of my lashes.

The benefit is that I don't have to go back later and do my outer corners separately - which I usually use the tip of my mascara wand to do (there is always excess product on the tip of the wand, and I get my outer lashes too goopy).

My lashes looked so even from inner corner to outer corner! The formula didn't clump even after a few coats. I didn't have any problems with flaking or smudging. I had great looking lashes all day.

This is one of the few mascaras that I would repurchase :)

At least 80% of the time I try a new mascara (high-end and drugstore) I dislike it. I am a Dior, Lancome and YSL mascara junkie (snob). I am all for saving money on products, and typically do not feel expensive skincare products are worth paying for. However, with mascaras, I am willing to splurge pretty much every time. Lancome's products are often identical to L'oreal's (the product, not the packaging), but I've often felt the mascaras are an exception. I never seem to like L'oreal's wands as much as I like Lancome's.

While browsing in Target's cosmetic section one day, my eyes were drawn to the flashy packaging of this L'oreal mascara. I bought it simply to review it, certain I would hate it and ultimately trash it.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I have been using it off-and-on for 3 months, and the formula remains as fresh as the day I purchased it. I love the brush, texture, density, finish, effect and result it provides. This is by far the BEST drugstore mascara I have ever used. I have been alternating it with one of my favorite Lancome mascaras, and the result is every bit as great. I get no fewer compliments with this than with my most expensive mascara.

The formula is neither too wet nor too dry, the wand is flexible and offers both a fat side as well as a side for precision. TRY IT!

I really hate to be a buzzkill and derail the bandwagon of fans for this mascara but to be 100% honest...It's not the best thing on the market. Is it a decent mascara? yes. I will give it that.
But the holy grail mascara of the century? most definitely not..
I didn't really like it at all the first time I tried it, and let me assure you that it had nothing to do with the brush because I am actually partial to plastic/rubber bristle mascara brushes as opposed to the traditional ones. But maybe that is also why I expected so much more from this mascara.. Although I really disliked it at first I decided to really give it a chance before writing a review. I've had it for about a month now and I just can't see the hype...
Does it lengthen decently? yes. Does it thicken your lashes? yes. Does it give killer volume? not so much. Does it define your lashes nicely? no. curl them? nope. I liked that it didn't smudge on your eyes while applying though and I liked that it has jojoba oil in the ingredients as a bonus (which is maybe why some readers say they feel it moisturizers their lashes) But overall it left me with just semi long thick on the verge of getting into spider lash territory type of lashes that I wasn't crazy about...for volume being the selling point of this mascara it didn't deliver on that claim...at least for me it didn't. and my lashes are a decent length to begin with.. Bottom line, I wouldn't say it's a bad mascara.. and of course Everybody is different so What didn't work for me might very much work out for you and vice versa but as far as I'm concerned out of the many mascaras I have tried throughout my life unfortunately this definitely didn't earn a spot in my faves

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My new TOTALLY scientific method for choosing a mascara: choose a word that best encapsulates the characteristic that you want out of one and then choose the product that has the most similar letters in the product name. I tested this theory once and achieved a 100% success rate, BTW.

In my case, the chosen word was "fluttery" and wouldn't you know it, 100% of the letters ALSO appear in "L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly"! Butterfly...fluttery. Fluttery like a butterfly.

Yup, you just know that's gonna be a good match.

And that is how I finally decided to pick up this little ol' thing that I'd been eyeballing for months. The only reason it took so long to finally take the plunge is because I'd take one look at the brush head in the package and get scared and put it back on the shelf. Also, I was still working on a deluxe sample of Lancôme's Hypnôse Drama, so the timing wasn't right.

Anyway, getting to the point. Turns out that I was wasting my time with all the other mascaras I've tried. This one does everything I've ever wanted in a mascara (non-waterproof formula, BTW). Doesn't clump. Doesn't smear. Holds up all day, even through runs where I get "dewy". Washes off easily. Those are the basics.

Aesthetically, this is a champ. Turns out that the brush head that looked so terrifying in the package does the best job of anything ever in the history of the world in terms of creating exactly what I'd been looking for all along. Yup, perfectly fluttery lashes. Butterfly lashes!

The brush has multiple sides to it, including one that combs/lifts your outer lashes so that they're sort of sideswept. I'm not quite sure how to properly describe the effect, but it draws them out so that your lashes extend past the outer corners of your eyes, so your eyes actually look wider. No other mascara I've tried has done anything quite like it. For me, that's the perfect effect since I don't exactly have the widest eyes.

The other notable effect I achieved with this stuff is making it look like I have more lashes than I actually do. The key thing is that the volumizing effects were achieved not by clumping or from a thick coating of product, but through separation and definition. The comb does an amazing job of that and the end effect is "feathery" rather than heavy-handed, as other mascara products sometimes tend to be. It's a different way of achieving volume and I vastly prefer the outcome.

It's also the first mascara I've ever been able to use on my otherwise non-existent lower lashes. Normally I don't even bother since it's just about impossible to apply mascara to next-to-nothingness, but the short side of the brush tackled that too, and somehow managed to coat what looked like "air", though apparently what I'd thought was "air" all along turned out to be microscopic lashes that can be made visible to the naked eye with with product applied. I don't know how I feel about that aspect of the overall look though, as I'm so unused to having lower lashes. But, it's nice to know there's at least one product that can handle them.

In sum, this is a 5/5 product for me, no reservations. I will repurchase unless something better comes my way or my eyes fall out. Or, I might try the other version of this stuff. But yeah, much love.

EDIT 8.05.2015: Two plus weeks into using this and still have just as much mad love and feel no need to look for another mascara at this point. Applying mascara used to be a somewhat perfunctory part of my routine; I now consider it the funnest part besides slapping on lipstick. I'm never gonna have MAD DRAMA EYES! with this stuff but that's not a look that works for me anyway.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm

UGH. I don't know why I continue to experiment when I know that the L'Oreal Telescopic (classic gold tube, not the newer "shocking" formula) is perfect for my needs. I'll admit it, the brush got me. I really wanted it to be as revolutionary as it looked. It's not.

First I'll start with the formula. Dry, flaky, stiff, brittle... YUCK. I have fairly thick lashes. I really just need lengthening and darkening. So I didn't apply a million coats. And still I got that really messy, flaky look that you get when you're trying to make your old, used up mascara last a few more days until payday. Awful.

And it flaked like crazy!! I've never had problems with mascara flaking before. But this was all over my face and my glasses within minutes after application. Not attractive.

About the brush...I liked it just fine. It wasn't revolutionary, but I do like a hard brush rather than a bristly brush, so I was fairly pleased with that. I don't think it gave me any more of a "butterfly" effect than any other brush frankly. But even if it had, it would have only worked for ONE EYE. Unless you can apply mascara with your non dominant hand (which I can't, it's just useless) you are screwed, because the flared part is only on one side of the wand. So if you cross apply, which I, and, I think, most people normally do, the flared part of the wand does not even touch the lashes on your opposite eye. I tried to flip the wand over and apply with my opposite hand and nearly blinded myself. Therefore, the butterfly wand was entirely useless and pointless.

If I had saved the receipt, it would be going back immediately. I'm really sorry I didn't save it.

on 10/9/2014 9:11:00 PM

This is my first post, and I felt it was necessary to tell everyone how much I love this mascara! I am a mascara junkie- I buy the newest one as soon as I see it In stores.

I have spent quite a bit of money on failed mascaras... Until I found this one. The brush has a unique shape (as many other reviews mention), but I actually think the "winged" edge lengthens my lashes much better than any other mascara I have tried.

It lengthens, separates, and adds a perfect amount of volume. It does not flake off, and my lashes don't feel stiff.

Watch out though!! They have two different lines of this mascara!!
1) voluminous butterfly
And
2) lash out butterfly
The packaging and tubes look exactly alike besides the print on the actual tube (same shape, colors, and everything... Very sneaky). I personally do not like the 'lash out' version at all. It is very clumpy/wet. I accidentally bought the lash out 3 times before I realized my mistake. I was so disappointed when my HG mascara was all of a sudden not giving me the same results. Since I have realized that there is two different versions, I strictly buy the VOLUMINOUS butterfly, and have been ecstatic to have my HG mascara back.

This is a fantastic mascara, and it saves me so much time in the morning because it gives me the right amount of length and volume in less coats. This is a game changer for me, I hope they don't discontinue it.

on 3/13/2016 6:24:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

I was obsessed on finding for a mascara that would make my lashes look naturally long. I looked up some brands on the internet and I saw some pictures of reviews of this mascara I found that the it gave the lashes a good length but everytime it looked so clumpy and unnatural - exactly the opposite of what I was searching for. Anyway, I found the concept kinda interesting and the price waa ok, so i decided to give it a try. Oh, boy, I'm so glad i did! The brush is pretty complicated (i guess that's where this awkward looks you're gonna see on the internet come from), but once you learn how to use it, you're gonna get flawless lashes. At least its what happened to me! My lashes look so long and perfectly separated from each other, and with one application I'm ready to go! No, it won't really curl your lashes (you might actually want to use an eyelash curler with this one - still totally worth it), it won't give them crazy volume (well I particularly find too much volume kinda ugly) but it's such a light, fluid and nice mascara, I can't complain about that! I'm so glad I found this baby!
PS: about the "flaky" part. Yep, it might flake... But only if you will keep rubbing your eyes. Actually the waterproof version almost doesn't flake and it's pretty hard to remove.

on 10/14/2013 11:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

L'oreal's Voluminous mascaras and I go back a long way. I remember using their original Voluminous mascara years ago and I've tried just about every version of it since.

I guess this mascara hasn't hit the stores en mass as of yet but I snagged a tube as it was on sale at my favourite drug store.
I was wary as I had tried the Voluminous Million Lashes and Excess Million Lashes and they both have a 'chemical' scent which I don't like. (my eyes are sensitive to scents)

The rubber bristle brush has a unique shape: it's flat on one side and ridges (like teeth) on the other. I think the whole idea is to use the flat side to coat the lashes and build volume and use the ridge side to build length. The ridge side is great for grabbing onto lashes so it coats every lash.

Pros:
It gives fantastic length and my lashes look 'fluttery' (no pun intended) after a few coats.
This mascara doesn't claim to build volume but it does a pretty good job of doing so. (it can clump so keep an eyelash comb handy)
Curl stays in place (Asian ladies: we know the importance of this)
Lasts all day without smudging or flaking
Easy removal with water based eye makeup remover
No annoying scent

Cons:
As mentioned, a slight tendency to clump if applying multiple coats
Brush can be awkward to use
Formula is on the wet side but I have no problems with it

Re-purchase:
Absolutely! This is my current favourite of the Voluminous family, although I still love my Voluminous carbon black for major dramatic lashes.

on 1/27/2017 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have researched and tried countless mascaras. I have rather average lashes lengthwise but they are thin and not noticeable unless coated with mascara - and as I age they get more sparse. I have had certain brands make them brittle and break, so now I have to be extra careful. There are several mascaras I've used that are okay, but nothing really gives that lush look except false lashes. This does come close, however. It does clump a little if not used carefully, but it does give length and volume to lashes - some at my age might think too much.

One caveat - I accidentally bought the waterproof version first (the "waterproof" indication is small indeed). I figured I would use it, but I tried four times with three different waterproof makeup removers and it never came off (I figure it will just wear off...taking a few days). Waterproof? It's tsunami-proof. If you swim with mascara this might be a good choice. I did note that someone suggested petroleum jelly to remove it. I don't need anything that waterproof!