L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

Filtered by age: 56 & Over
L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

3.0

on 8/9/2018 7:15:00 PM

I found this is the ONLY mascara (because of its weird brush-comb !! ) that will work on my lower eyelashes without hitting the skin and having to touch up smears. Fat brushes don't work for lower lashes at all...or even normal brushes, IMHO. Thumbs up for that!

on 1/27/2017 1:18:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool

I have researched and tried countless mascaras. I have rather average lashes lengthwise but they are thin and not noticeable unless coated with mascara - and as I age they get more sparse. I have had certain brands make them brittle and break, so now I have to be extra careful. There are several mascaras I've used that are okay, but nothing really gives that lush look except false lashes. This does come close, however. It does clump a little if not used carefully, but it does give length and volume to lashes - some at my age might think too much.

One caveat - I accidentally bought the waterproof version first (the "waterproof" indication is small indeed). I figured I would use it, but I tried four times with three different waterproof makeup removers and it never came off (I figure it will just wear off...taking a few days). Waterproof? It's tsunami-proof. If you swim with mascara this might be a good choice. I did note that someone suggested petroleum jelly to remove it. I don't need anything that waterproof!

Had a hard time figuring out what part of this tapered wand to use where. The mascara was overly liquidy and made my lashes clump. The plain old Voluminous is far better. Will definitely not be buying this one again!

on 5/16/2016 1:53:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I've tried the new Butterfly Sculpt several times and I've decided I like it. I am impressed by the way it works on the lower lashes which is rare for a mascara. It takes a long time to paint the lashes on until they are just right, but the results are worth it.

It has a totally unique plastic brush with one flat side and odd tiny teeth and is supposed to tightline the lashes. I don't try for that but it does build long, dark lashes. I just keep turning the wand to apply and then separate. If you add more than three coats it begins to get that stiff, lacquered look. So if I stop after two coats the results are very similar to the best mascaras. I just don't like the intricate brush design much because you can't just brush it on normally. It's a delicate process and the lashes will start sticking to each other because it dries so fast so you have to keep turning the brush to separate them with the comb before they dry. But if you have the time to invest, it's kind of fun and the results can be very good.

Update: By the way - when I started removing it, I couldn't believe how resistant it was to my usually reliable oil based remover. It just would not come off easily. Then I looked at it and saw I had accidentally bought the waterproof version. I haven't used one of those in so long I forgot what they were like.

Update May 27/16: I've realized that I can't stand the horrible ordeal of removing it. It's not worth it to me. I need a mascara that works and is removable with soap and water or just water. The cleansers - all of them - are too harsh on my skin. Therefore I am not using any of the industrial glue/resin/lacquer mascaras again and going back to the old school normal ones. A mascara this hard on the eyes is not a good idea. There are plenty of mascaras that give stunning length and volume and can be washed off easily.

Update July 14, 2016: because of harsh makeup like this, I now use no eye makeup at all. I don't know if or when I will try makeup again but I have thrown out all of the ones that are weapons on the eyes, like this one. It seriously does not matter if the mascara makes your lashes beautiful, if it hurts you to remove it and it takes weeks to heal the eyelids.

on 5/5/2016 8:47:00 AM

I just tried the new L'Oréal Voluminous Butterfly Sculpt mascara. I have very sparse, thin eyelashes but this stuff makes them look amazing! The brush is more like a comb and it really gets every lash and even gives an eyeliner effect at the very base.

always loved L'Oreal products, but this mascara is awful. Comes out very clumpy and once on you can't fix it. This is one I will never buy again sorry!

on 5/23/2014 12:39:00 PM

Hair: Grey, Other, Other

I have very long lashes due to an eye medication I have to apply in my eyes. I have tried it all, this is the BEST. It voluminizes and seperates the lashes, you can also get the inside and outside hard to get lashes due to the awesome brush. This is my lastest best find..........

on 3/24/2014 3:25:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

I love this mascara! I have sparse, very un-exciting lashes, but Butterfly makes them look fantastic! And nothing lasts on me all day, but this mascara does. I'm actually startled when I look in the mirror at the end of the day and see my gorgeous lashes. Love it! Highly recommend!

on 3/9/2014 8:25:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I don't mind the brush. It does add volume and some length. My problem with this mascara is that it flakes by the end of the day. I would not repurchase.

on 2/6/2014 1:59:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Silver, Straight, Fine

For one week this was great, it lengthens, separated and didn't clump. After that week, I noticed that the stopper thingy in the tube wasn't working any more, I had to wipe the wand with a tissue, the formula got wetter and clumps like crazy. The whole thing went into the trash before the month was up. Sigh. Me and L'Oreal's mascaras don't work. I have tried them all.