L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

Filtered by age: 36-43
L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

3.6

on 6/9/2018 2:46:00 PM

I like the brush, but that's pretty much it. The actual product is wet, heavy and sticks my lashes together in wet clumps. I also lose all traces of curl I've managed to create it weighs them down so much which peeves me to no end. I've tried this mascara maybe 5 or 6 times but it's going in the trash bin, I just can't make it work for me. DISLIKE!!!!

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

One of the worst mascaras I've ever tried. It seems like a good idea- the comb style applicator but it just made a huge mess when I tried to get into the roots of my naturally blonde lashes. I have almond shaped eyes and they aren't large but not extremely small. I would say my eyes are average in size. To maneuver this applicator, I think you would have to have large eyes. L'Oréal has some great mascaras- this isn't one of them and it's not inexpensive.

on 1/18/2017 7:34:00 AM

This is a pretty good mascara. It is one of my favorite drugstore mascaras...once you get the hang of the brush, it is easy to apply and it does make my lashes darker, fuller, and longer, without clumping. The tube lasts several months for me, too. I like this mascara. Not LOVE, but I like it. And I like it enough to re-purchase.

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

Very good mascara. The bristles in the brush are excellent and grip your lashes well. If you like sculpting mascaras, this is for you. I add this to the ends of my lashes and then pull through from the root. Coverage is excellent and the formula is nice and thin and pairs well with the brush. Great staying power, does not travel on hot days or pool under lashes if you get sweaty. Even stays put during an afternoon nap. I really like this mascara and will definitely repurchase.

on 5/21/2016 10:21:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Sticky and wet. Makes my (already spare) lashes stick together. Smudges all over. Needless to say I do not like.

at work a woman started digging in her purse and pulled this out! she says to me, " I bought this and I don't know how to use it" so I sat her down and we looked at the brush and I then applied it to her walking her through how to use the unusal brush. it looked amazing! needless to say when I left that day I went across the street to Walgreen's and got one for myself. not alot of volume/ fluff but really good length and curl with no eyelash curler involved. love that. it doesn't smudge on me or flake and it dried out in about 8 or 9 weeks( which I think is average) I lived adding this to my mascara collection and thank you to the lady who came into Sephora with a loreal product looking for help. you showed me a really cool product!!

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

This is a very good mascara but there are much better mascaras out there. I have fairly long lashes, but they're kind of flimsy and don't have a lot of them, so I need volume and definition more than length. This delivers the length but not the volume, and if the name "voluminous" is in the product name...well, I have to penalize you, L'oreal.

There's probably a learning curve for many with the brush, but I think it's ingenious. I think when I first looked at it and thought, Okay, which way is this supposed to go? You can turn it to the side with the shorter bristles to get really close to the base of your lashes and deposit more product; then the longer side brushes through your lashes to comb through every one and remove any large clumps.

Unfortunately, I think it's the longer bristles that comb too much product out of the lashes so it's hard to build up. I also think the bristles are so close together they don't define each lash separately, so when you do build up more product you start to get that "I have only five really big lashes" look. And the formula was nice and smooth at first; not too wet, not too dry. Now I get little clumps, and I've only had the mascara for a month. Such a shame!

Such a nice try, L'oreal! Great brush that needs tweaking; same thing for the formula. So close!

on 9/27/2015 8:01:00 PM

It's funny what happens with this mascara. I really don't like it when I apply it; I feel it kind of dry and it's difficult to apply it without any clumps but I love it during the day. My lashes don't lose the curb and look very natural. It doesn't flake either. Overall, I don't think I'd buy it again.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

My new TOTALLY scientific method for choosing a mascara: choose a word that best encapsulates the characteristic that you want out of one and then choose the product that has the most similar letters in the product name. I tested this theory once and achieved a 100% success rate, BTW.

In my case, the chosen word was "fluttery" and wouldn't you know it, 100% of the letters ALSO appear in "L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly"! Butterfly...fluttery. Fluttery like a butterfly.

Yup, you just know that's gonna be a good match.

And that is how I finally decided to pick up this little ol' thing that I'd been eyeballing for months. The only reason it took so long to finally take the plunge is because I'd take one look at the brush head in the package and get scared and put it back on the shelf. Also, I was still working on a deluxe sample of Lancôme's Hypnôse Drama, so the timing wasn't right.

Anyway, getting to the point. Turns out that I was wasting my time with all the other mascaras I've tried. This one does everything I've ever wanted in a mascara (non-waterproof formula, BTW). Doesn't clump. Doesn't smear. Holds up all day, even through runs where I get "dewy". Washes off easily. Those are the basics.

Aesthetically, this is a champ. Turns out that the brush head that looked so terrifying in the package does the best job of anything ever in the history of the world in terms of creating exactly what I'd been looking for all along. Yup, perfectly fluttery lashes. Butterfly lashes!

The brush has multiple sides to it, including one that combs/lifts your outer lashes so that they're sort of sideswept. I'm not quite sure how to properly describe the effect, but it draws them out so that your lashes extend past the outer corners of your eyes, so your eyes actually look wider. No other mascara I've tried has done anything quite like it. For me, that's the perfect effect since I don't exactly have the widest eyes.

The other notable effect I achieved with this stuff is making it look like I have more lashes than I actually do. The key thing is that the volumizing effects were achieved not by clumping or from a thick coating of product, but through separation and definition. The comb does an amazing job of that and the end effect is "feathery" rather than heavy-handed, as other mascara products sometimes tend to be. It's a different way of achieving volume and I vastly prefer the outcome.

It's also the first mascara I've ever been able to use on my otherwise non-existent lower lashes. Normally I don't even bother since it's just about impossible to apply mascara to next-to-nothingness, but the short side of the brush tackled that too, and somehow managed to coat what looked like "air", though apparently what I'd thought was "air" all along turned out to be microscopic lashes that can be made visible to the naked eye with with product applied. I don't know how I feel about that aspect of the overall look though, as I'm so unused to having lower lashes. But, it's nice to know there's at least one product that can handle them.

In sum, this is a 5/5 product for me, no reservations. I will repurchase unless something better comes my way or my eyes fall out. Or, I might try the other version of this stuff. But yeah, much love.

EDIT 8.05.2015: Two plus weeks into using this and still have just as much mad love and feel no need to look for another mascara at this point. Applying mascara used to be a somewhat perfunctory part of my routine; I now consider it the funnest part besides slapping on lipstick. I'm never gonna have MAD DRAMA EYES! with this stuff but that's not a look that works for me anyway.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

My go-to for over two decades has been original Voluminous--first brown-black, and then carbon black. I go back to it because I can't find anything else I like better, but I hate how it dries out so quickly and can get a bit overly thick/clumpy.

I tried the Butterfly one because I'm open to any variation in the Voluminous family--and wow! This is a welcome addition. The formula is much thinner and smoother than the original one, and the uniquely shaped brush separates my lashes quite well and coats them from top to bottom. NO clumping. Time will tell how long a bottle lasts, but I'm already seeing a way better lifespan from it than original.

It does flake by the end of the day, but I haven't met the mascara that doesn't so I'm not downgrading for that. Excellent effort, can't argue with price, and I will repurchase. Probably at least two!