L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

Filtered by eye Color : Blue age: 30-35
L'Oreal Paris Voluminous Butterfly Mascara

3.4

on 11/1/2015 9:25:00 AM

I really like the effect this gives my lashes, it volumizes and lengthens. It is also easy to use, and one of those mascaras that gets better over time.

Unfortunately, it has a very strong floral smell. Sorry, but scents on my eyeballs weirds me out. I would buy this again if I can't find my normal drugstore standbys (voluminous million lashes, maybelline full and soft, or Jordana best lash) but the scent makes it a definite fourth choice. A shame, because it does have a nice effect.

on 10/23/2015 10:45:00 AM

Wonderful mascara, IMPOSSIBLE TO REMOVE!

This mascara does what I always hope mascara will do -- lengthen, thicken, define, not get clumpy or too stiff. My lashes look really lovely with this mascara and the very best thing of all is it doesn't crumble off throughout the day, or smudge, or show up under my eyes as the day wears on.

The amazing wear and ability to withstand to worst humidity, tears, accidental eye rubbing comes at a big cost. Near impossible removal. It took me a few nights to realize my usual face wash was not successfully washing away the mascara. Jojoba oil, which usually removes every kind of stubborn makeup, also couldn't get it to budge. So I would let the oil soak in my lashes for a few minutes, and kind of rub it around to encourage it a bit. Even that doesn't do it. Yesterday, I bought some eye makeup remover pads, and those didn't really fare any better. I swiped for about 6 or 7 minutes, patiently wiping, wiping...the stuff never stops coming off in gradual little bits. I've taken to actually *scraping* my eyelashes with my nails to try and remove it. My eyelashes come off on the little makeup remover pads...still coated in mascara.

This is not good. It makes me rather nervous, too -- what am I doing to my eyelashes with this stuff that I feel like only paint thinner would remove?! It doesn't seem like a healthy thing to be putting on my eyelashes, and watching my eyelashes pop off as I try to remove this stuff is not nice. Definitely won't be repurchasing. The search continues!

I really love this mascara. Especially the brush. It is GREAT for top lashes. This is my favorite drugstore mascara!

on 6/17/2014 12:28:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I love my mixture of low end and high end. When it comes to mascara, however, I usually prefer high end. It's pretty rare for me to pick up a DS mascara but this innovative brush really intrigued me.
I picked this up in the waterproof formula. It's a wetter formula which is appropriate for the brush. The brush is easier to work with then I thought it would be. I apply with the shorter bristles and I seperate with the longer bristles.
Like most DS mascaras, don't layer once dry. Work quickly and and apply your layers while wet. If you get clumps, use the longer bristles to work them out. The bottom lashes turn out beautiful with the end of the brush.
My lashes look, fluttery with good volume, decent lengthing, a little on the crispy side, and super black.
In conclusion. I LOVE the brush and will actually buy a new package to try a clean brush with my favorite high end formulas. The formula is wasterproof and a really decent formula......for DS. If I find my self in a pinch, I will use this happily.
Now I'm going to see which high end masacara this brush will screw in to. I hope it'll fit my Urban Decay Lush Lash! :crosses fingers:

on 6/8/2014 3:59:00 PM

Not impressed. Hard to apply with the wand & does nothing for my lashes. I've used products half the price that worked better.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

This product may be the first L'oreal mascara that I didn't LOVE. I waited and waited for my local drugstore to come out with the waterproof version since that is all I ever use and I wanted to give it a fair review.

It definitely tops all the other brands out there that I've tried (Maybelline, Rimmel, etc) but this one is just not for me. I find the brush super hard to work with and even as a makeup artist it took me a few days to figure out how to do it correctly. The short bristles give you some volume and the section with the longer bristles (or the part that looks like a comb) is used to make the outer part of your lashes longer for that "butterfly" effect. I found that once I tried to make the outer part of my lashes look longer, for some reason they didn't match with the rest of my lashes and that really bothered me. So I would go over the rest of my lashes with that comb part of the brush to even it all out. The formula dries very quickly so when I do this it clumps up if I am not fast with the application.

This mascara did hold my curl super well and kept it in place all day long which is what all L'Oreal mascaras do for me and makes them my favourite. Removal of this product was absolutely brutal. It made my lashes super hard and brittle as I tried to remove it. MAC cleansing oil lifted it a little bit but even after washing my face with my cleanser I would still have mascara left on my lashes and raccoon eyes after I got out of the shower. Some mornings I would even go over my eyes with a makeup wipe to remove access product that didn't get removed before I apply more.

I also find this to be a bit pricey - I'm not sure if that is because it is new or not. I can get my favourite L'Oreal mascaras for $10 but this was $15 plus tax at my local drugstore which is almost getting into the high end mascara category for me.

The packing is super cute, the concept is interesting, and the brush is definitely unique but I couldn't get into this particular mascara at all. I won't be repurchasing this particular one but I will ALWAYS be a L'Oreal mascara girl and will repurchase the ones I know and love.

At least 80% of the time I try a new mascara (high-end and drugstore) I dislike it. I am a Dior, Lancome and YSL mascara junkie (snob). I am all for saving money on products, and typically do not feel expensive skincare products are worth paying for. However, with mascaras, I am willing to splurge pretty much every time. Lancome's products are often identical to L'oreal's (the product, not the packaging), but I've often felt the mascaras are an exception. I never seem to like L'oreal's wands as much as I like Lancome's.

While browsing in Target's cosmetic section one day, my eyes were drawn to the flashy packaging of this L'oreal mascara. I bought it simply to review it, certain I would hate it and ultimately trash it.

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT! I have been using it off-and-on for 3 months, and the formula remains as fresh as the day I purchased it. I love the brush, texture, density, finish, effect and result it provides. This is by far the BEST drugstore mascara I have ever used. I have been alternating it with one of my favorite Lancome mascaras, and the result is every bit as great. I get no fewer compliments with this than with my most expensive mascara.

The formula is neither too wet nor too dry, the wand is flexible and offers both a fat side as well as a side for precision. TRY IT!

on 1/3/2014 3:53:00 PM

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

So many good things to write about this mascara, but one major downfall. Packaging? Beautiful. The silver tube is lovely and striking. The formula is nice and thick, allowing time to build before drying. I quite like the brush... It takes some getting used to, but it combs the mascara through my dense but thin lashes easily and beautifully. My lashes look so lush and full! The shorter bristles are user-friendly for the lower lashes. No negatives to report... until about four hours of wear in, when all the little flakes of mascara start to fall on my cheeks and sides of my nose... The little flakes seem melt onto my cheeks, ruining my blush. Such a disappointment. From reading other reviews, I am not the only one to experience this issue. L'Oreal? Any chance of changing the formula slightly to counteract this problem? This would be my new HG mascara if not for the flaking, but as it stands, I cannot use the L'Oreal Voluminous Butterfly.

on 11/20/2013 1:27:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Other, Fine

This is a fabulous mascara! Gives my lashes superior lift and length, with decent volume as well. The brush is a bit tricky at first, but if used correctly will give you very lush lashes. No flaking and the effect lasts all day. I removed one lippy as it is somewhat more difficult to remove than other mascaras. This will be a definite repurchase.

on 11/14/2013 10:45:00 PM

I've been using Maybelline Illegal Length for the past few years, but it dries out quickly and clumps easily. I bought this on a whim. I haven't had good luck with L'oreal mascaras in a long time, so I wasn't expecting much from this. Voluminous Butterfly is amazing! It lengthens, it volumizes, and it doesn't clump- really, it doesn't clump! All I need are two coats and I'm good to go (I usually use 3-4 with all other mascaras). The brush is a rubber comb style, which I love. The flared end really does seem to help fan out the outer lashes. No flaking, no smudging, and it washes off easily at the end of the day. I am in love. I've already bought a backup tube :)