Yes To Yes to Grapefruit CC Cream - Light

1 review

on 11/21/2013 12:28:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse

After using Yes To's body butter, face wipes, and daily moisturizer, I was really excited to try their CC cream as an alternative to heavy foundation.

I read the rave reviews on this product on the website (which should have been a red flag), but I bought this anyway.

Right when you open it, the smell hits you in the face. As the name suggests, you might think it would smell like grapefruit, right? Wrong. It's this sickly-sweet smell that literally burns the back of my throat and makes me think of the berry-scented stuff that little girls use. Not only was that a turn-off, because, well, it literally burned my eyes and throat, but also -- what would something that smells that potent feel like on my face?

So, I applied it anyway and managed to get past the smell.

The next thing you run into is the texture, which brought to mind an incredibly watery smoothie. It's runny and doesn't really go on well because of that. I tried applying it with my fingers initially, but that really did nothing but move it around, so I moved onto my foundation brush, which just streaked up my face. I tried using my beauty blender, which proved to only soak up the product (surprise surprise) and so the ONLY method I was able to find that gets the product applied evenly was my stipling brush.

When you put it on, you can definitely feel the tingling that's probably a side-effect to whatever nauseatingly-sweet fragrance they put in it. It's not unbearable, but it reminds me of a pore-shrinking mask, which also isn't a pleasant feeling. As expected, it feels like it's sitting on top of your skin after application. If you don't set it with powder, then it doesn't look dewy, it looks greasy. Even when setting it with powder, I found that, if you don't use a translucent powder, it's going to get cakey really, really fast.

On top of that -- where's the coverage? I wanted something that WASN'T cakey but had little to medium coverage, and this is barely better than a tinted moisturizer -- which I didn't buy for a reason.

In the end, I didn't pay $15 for a CC cream -- I payed $15 for a watery, sickly-sweet concoction of fragrance, greasy lotion, and maybe a dot of pigment waved over it. Garbage! Wouldn't buy again or recommend.