OST Original Pure Vitamin C20 Serum

OST Original Pure Vitamin C20 Serum
C20 serumC20 openedIn English: C20 IngredientsIn English: about C20, caution and storage

3.4

Water, Ascorbic Acid, Ethanol, Sodium Lactate, Butylene Glycol, Glucose, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Rosa Davurica Bud Extract, Carthamus Tinctorius (Safflower) Flower Extract, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Sodium Hyaluronate, Bis-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane, Diethoxyethyl Succinate, Ammonium Acryloyldimethyltaurate/VP Copolymer, Xanthan, PEG-180, Gluconolactone, Beta-Glucan, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis, (Orange) Oil, Zinc PCA, Panthenol, Niacinamide, Glycerin, Tocopheryl Acetate, Lecithin, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ubiquinone, Diisopropyl Adipate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben

Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm

CONTAINS ALCOHOL!and dried the hell out of my skin,nuff said

This serum effectively lightened my age spots within a month. However, it broke me out and gave me patchy dry skin.

What's Good?

1. Bad Breakout
2. Inconvenient for Exercise Addicts
3. Dry Patches

Full review with photos at http://bit.ly/2r20S9R

Background: NC20(ish), combination-oily skin that's becoming more sensitive & acne-prone as I age.

Last year, due to stress, hormonal changes, or the antibiotics I took for an URTI (or all of the above), my skin decided to freak out and sprouted breakouts left, right & center. My T-zone is clear but my cheeks and U-zone became quite problematic.

I've gone on a massive spending binge, trying to find products that will help my skin recover, mainly focusing on Asian Beauty products. I was desperate to find a "star product" that will help heal my breakouts quickly and fade the scars/PIH after, too.

Enter this. While this may have mixed reviews here, this is a really popular product in the worldwide AB community, so I decided to take a chance and purchase it. By the 3rd month of usage, I'm a convert! This fades my PIH like nobody's business. This serum + the Cosrx Galactomyces essence + the Benton Snail Bee High Content Essence improved (and continues to improve) my skin's texture and clarity A LOT. I almost wished I took skin tracking photos so I can stare at them in disbelief now at how much my skin has changed since I converted to AB products.

But yes, Vitamin C is sensitive to light and oxygen, so even if I keep this in the fridge, it oxidises quite quickly and I have to get a new bottle every 4 months or so. I don't really mind as it's a small price to pay for smooth, glowing, PIH-free skin.

Just some tips/observations:
*Patch test first to see if you're sensitive to Vit.C
*I initially applied this to my post-acne scars/PIH only. Once my skin got fully used to it, I began applying it to my whole face.
*The texture of this is a bit sticky, let it sit on your face for 20mins (or more) before moving on to the next step of your skincare.
*I only use this in the evening, as I live in a tropical country and I don't want to risk getting my skin even more photosensitive.
*Initially, I used my finger to apply this, but that finger started to peel a lot, so I switched to using a q-tip.
*Unless it's breaking you out or is causing adverse reactions, don't give up on using it for at least 3 months, that's when I started seeing dramatic results.

TL:DR- I love this, I will never be without this and I will repurchase forever.

on 3/29/2017 11:35:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I really had high hopes for this product! Hyperpigmentation is one of my major skin concerns - thanks to years and years of adolescent acne - and I've heard a lot of great things about the benefits of vitamin c in preventing and fading away hyperpigmentation marks. Despite some the equally-valid cons vitamin c skincare can have (especially if the version of vitamin c you're using is l-ascorbic acid, like what this serum has), I decided to try it anyway because I am desperate to get rid of my hyperpigmentation marks once and for all! Long story short, here's my experience of this serum over the month-ish that I used it in...

Pros:
- Not too expensive compared to a lot of other probably-just-as-effectve vitamin c serums out there.
- Packaging is reasonable for its ingredients (OST uses the l-ascorbic variety of vitamin c - very sensitive to heat, sunlight, oxygen, basically everything in the outside world. Needs to be kept in the fridge in a dark bottle, otherwise the serum will turn brown which means it's no longer effective).
- Has a lot of good reviews from other people, which adds to the product's credibility.
- Has a high % of vitamin c, which means results will likely be more rapid and visible.

Cons:
- Has a high percentage of vitamin c. Yes, higher % can mean quicker results, but it can also be irritating. This is what happened to me :(
- Vitamin c is also a known exfoliant. This serum overexfoliated my skin when I tried using it everyday at night. Made me break out more and turned my skin into this weird oily but papery texture (probably a sign of overexfoliation). So I only used it once every two days.
- Not sure if I saw significant results in fading my hyperpigmentation. Since using the serum every 2 days is the only way I could use this product without it ruining my skin, I don't think I used it often enough to yield any mark-fading results.
- The serum went bad before I could finish it. Again, because I didn't use it often enough. Even though the bottle only had a small amount of 30ml in it!
- L-ascorbic acid is just too high maintenance for me to use!! I had to keep it in the fridge, make sure I use it quickly so the ingredients don't spoil, I had to run back and forth to the fridge in order to preserve the serum. It all just got annoying for me to use. By no means is my skincare routine low maintenance in the first place (yes, I am one of those people who follow the Korean 10-ish step skincare routine... I can handle high maintenance!), but using this serum was just too much for me.
- Leaves your face quite sticky for a good 15-20 minutes or so. Honestly, this wasn't a huge problem for me. But I can imagine some people not liking that feeling.
- Bottle was a bit messy to use. The product kept leaking out of the rim. I don't know why when the bottle is upstanding for 99% of the day. Even when I use it, I'm very careful not to spill any.

I honestly think this serum could've worked if I stuck with it for longer than a month and if I was able to use it more regularly than every 2 days. Unfortunately, I realised pretty early on that it just didn't agree too well with my skin and my lifestyle. My skin was too sensitive for it and it was too high-maintenance for me to use regularly. If my review put you off OST in any way, I would still recommend you to try this product anyway. Just see how it fits your skin. And if you don't get any adverse reactions from the serum and you don't mind the whole gotta-keep-it-in-the-fridge-24/7 aspect of it, I would persist with trying and using this. Personally, I wouldn't buy it again and I'm just gonna throw away the remaining 20ml of my bottle left :(

Skin: Normal, Medium, Warm

I'm giving this a 4 overall and I will repurchase until I find something better. It's super affordable on wishtrend but I also wanna try and DIY due to the short shelf life. Vit c is something I wanted to add to my routine for ages but it's less accessible than say acids or retinol. So it has taken me awhile but I'm now a fan. It's annoying having to go to the fridge for it. I have been on a steady routine of alternative nightly use (alt with retinol) and I'm happy. Skin didn't like daily use. I use a full dropper and it's sticky until I layer something else over it. No irritation whatsoever and sometimes a teensy sting if I've done a manual scrub beforehand. But I rarely physically exfo anymore. I actually couldn't tell if this was doing anything (I'm a heavy acids user) until I checked my chin. After a month of use, the clogging in my chin has gone!! I have had clogging in the crevice of my chin since puberty and I'm 35. No amount of acids, retinol or scrubs could shift it till now. That alone is enough for me to be a vitamin c convert. If it can do that for my chin, which is now baby smooth for the first time in 20 yrs, it must be working wonders for the rest of my face. There is no pore minimising or brightening effect though, I need acid and retinol for that. For that reason it gets a 4, cos it's not a miracle product, it's more like an extra. Works excellently with other products.

on 6/1/2016 3:38:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

The price is the only plus point (~$8 at the wishtrend page on gmarket) but it's not effective at all. I thought it was doing something but even after using it twice a day consistently, I saw no change. I have a few PIH and most of them are pretty stubborn, but even after going through another bottle (this time the 21.5 version) there were still no results! The citrus smell is personally disgusting and though I like how thick the texture is, it leaves such a sticky/tacky feeling behind! I could feel that there's something on my face-- it just doesn't absorb!!! I'd rather save up and buy myself a better quality serum than get this trash.

This is my first fit c serum, and I had high hopes after all of the great reviews.

It is effective But unfortunately a bit harsh for my skin.

I have been struggling with really stubborn sb's for almost 9 years and a combo of vit c serum and aspirin/honey masks have FINALLY banished them!

The bad: this serum makes me face red and irritated looking for hours after application. So it has been relegated to night only use.

Secondly, it balls up underneath other skincare and makeup products so there are little grey/green balls that roll up underneath your hands as you pat on layers or either serums, moisturizer, or makeup.

Best of luck!

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

My bottle of this serum says "C20 Pure Vitamin C 21.5 Advanced Serum", but I am fairly sure this is the same product. I believe this may have been reformulated/revamped slightly because the previous ingredients list listed alcohol as the second ingredient (which I wasn't too happy about), but when my bottle came alcohol is no longer in the ingredients! Yay! I ordered mine on Amazon and it took about a month to arrive. Without a doubt this is the best product I have ever used to brighten my complexion and fade my acne scars. I have literally tried everything, from Retin-A to hydroquinone. I have redness on my cheeks (not rosacea, but looks similar), and a big acne scar from a cystic pimple. This has seriously eliminated the redness on my cheeks and is slowly lightening up that pesky acne scar, and I've only been using this product for a few weeks! This hasn't dried my skin out or made me break out. It tingles a little when applied, and it is sticky, but it feels really gentle. It's annoying that you have to store this in the fridge, but it's worth it. I love this product and love the price ($20) and will repurchase in the future and would recommend to anyone who wants to brighten their skin/fade acne scars.

on 12/29/2015 5:32:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I really don't know how to feel about this product. Maybe it's because before using this, I was using another vit. c serum, which already banished my hardcore PIH (post-inflammation hyper-pigmentation), so when I started using this, the serum didn't have any severe dark spots to lighten. But, I do have to say that my mom saw a difference in my skin, she said that my face looked "more even", so take her word above mine lol. The scent is literally like a chinese mandarin orange; sweet and citrusy. Anyway, I do like the ph of this product and the aha's it has, because of it my skin is well exfoliated and smoother. Though, beware, if you use too little it will eventually oxidize (because you spend more than a month using it up) and if you use a full dropper amount, it will leave your face SUPER sticky. So, will I buy this again? Yes, it's very cheap for a vitamin c serum and it works, just slower for me, ha ha!

EDIT: I eventually changed my mind about this product. The fact that it oxidizes too quickly for my taste makes the whole experience very annoying. Will not repurchase. There are better or similar serums with an even better packaging that will help it last longer, like the Melano CC.

on 12/3/2015 10:51:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

This is an affordable serum from Korea that contains a high concentration of vitamin C. It has a dropper applicator and a dark amber glass bottle. This product is notorious for going off quickly so I was careful to always tighten the lid after use and store it in the refrigerator. To my surprise, it lasted me a little over 3 months before turning orange and developing an ‘off’ smell. It does not feel like a conventional serum and instead like a liquid with minimal slip. It is difficult to say what benefits it created for my overall skin tone, firmness, brightness etc., but I bought it solely for the purposes of minimising the pigmentation I had received after a nasty hormonal breakout. My chin and jaw were covered in dark scars and I must say, over that 3 month period there was a significant reduction in pigmentation. That alone compels me to rate this product 4/5.
I did feel that the serum was slightly drying, but I counteracted this with a decent moisturiser. While I am not completely against the use of ethanol in skincare, I don’t think that my skin responds too well to it. For this reason I decided to try out another vitamin C serum instead of repurchasing the OST. I’ve yet to see how the new one compares (Timeless Skincare), but since removing the OST from my routine in the morning I have noticed that my face appears way less shiny. As a result I can afford to powder less. It isn’t that the OST was greasy, but it has now come to my attention that it gave my face a noticeable sheen, which I find off-putting. Just something to consider. I also feel that the newer C serum does not make my skin as red as the OST, which while noticeable was not severe.
I didn’t find the serum sticky in texture as others have reported. Although I feel that is due to me layering skincare products. I feel like that I would consider repurchasing this due to its effectiveness in reducing pigmentation. However, I may find something just as effective, minus the ethanol. Due to its affordability, this is a good introduction to vitamin C serums and I would recommend if you are not sensitive to ethanol.

Popular Face Skincare Products