Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Shame

Urban Decay Revolution Lipstick in Shame
Revolution Lipstick in Shame

4.3

Not tested on animals
Urban Decay is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

on 1/9/2017 8:53:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

A fantastic dark red/berry on my NC20 skintone. I actually find this shade a tad blotchy when applied full on... so I mainly wear it blotted down. When blotted it's a rather bright red/berry (in case you're wondering, Venom pulls much more berry/plum than Shame).

No feathering issues, no scent, it's moisturizing, creamy and lasts evenly throughout the day when blotted. I enjoy it but once I use it up I most likely won't repurchase.

on 5/16/2016 5:47:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

Well, I may be in the minority here but... This is probably one of the worst lipsticks I have ever tried. Truth be told with the exception of some nude lippie fiascos that made me look like I had risen from the grave, I don't think I have ever had such a "WTF?!" type moment with a lipstick purchase.

This color goes on terribly - it's so patchy that it actually angers me. Another big issue is that this was the messiest lipstick I have ever used. It slips and slides to no end refusing to stay put and ends up feathering all over; no amount of lip primer or liner helps either.

I don't know if this is a fluke issue with this color or if a lot of these (or all) are formulated this but I can't stand this one and it's on my "return stat" list. I know so many people who swear by these but my experience was so bad it almost qualifies as a trauma. If I could do a zero star rating, I would.

on 4/15/2016 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

The color seems to be brownish but when applied it is kind of purple and red. I made my make up at 5 am because i had to get really early at work, it doesn't feel dry like other matte lipsticks. I had a sandwich and a coffee with cookies, checked my makeup by 10 am and the lipstick was still perfect. By 3 pm the lipstick was kind of pink-red, as if i was wearing a lightly lipstick. I went to the dentist and by the time i got home it was 8 pm and i had lip stains as if i was wearing a tint. I definitely would buy it again, it is a pretty color and even my coworkers noticed i was wearing a new lipstick and said "the color is very nice, sexy and you look like a rockstar" i have to mention i work in IT so i am with guys everyday that never notice if i do something different. A very important thing to consider is to use a brush to apply it, do not try to apply it directly or you will end up looking like the joker when trying to even the lines, believe me!

on 2/21/2016 2:09:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

AtomicLeda's review is pretty spot on to what I would say about this lipstick. I am reviewing the revolution lipstick, not any sheer version. I love this shade for it's non-goth vampiness. I notice that when I first put this on, I do need to be more careful about the lines at the edges than with other lipsticks but, for me, that is to be expected with a bold color. I love the way these Revolution lipsticks wear - they feel great and staying power is great (though yes, they will rub onto anything). From this line, I also wear F Bomb (favorite), 69 and then Temper in the Matte formula. If you are a fan of UD's lipsticks, grab this - it won't disappoint. The fact that it requires a little more attention to apply, in my opinion, is a factor of the shade, not the lipstick itself.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Fine

Lovelyyyyyyyy colour!!!! Love the formula... feels super hydrating on the lips! The only thing I don't like is sometimes the formula is just a little too creamy, as it never seems to set ever on my lips. So it's very easy to smudge throughout the day... which sucks. Maybe I'll try different ways of applying it, or mix it with another lipstick. It is true though that it is a unique colour! This one is definitely for someone who is looking for a unique vampy lip, without that disgusting matte dry factor.

Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I ordered this last year because I'm a long time UD fan, the color looked gorgiful, I make bad impulse decisions sometimes, and at the time I didn't have anything quite like it in my stash. Not heading down to the local Ulta and swatching it first was a real mistake.

When I received it, the first thing I learned was that its appearance on screen and even looking at the tube right in person is a completely different color than how it applies. The swatches I studied and the actual product in person is a deep, vampy, blackened plummy-burgundy which is exactly what I wanted. On the skin and lips however, it's a bright vibrant screaming cranberry red, which is absolutely not what I wanted. How the color transforms so drastically from tube to skin, I will never know.

The second thing I learned was that this was and still is the messiest lipstick I have ever used - with or without liner, straight from the tube or applied with a brush. Normally, you want to hear words like "buttery," "creamy," "smooth," or "glide," when you're looking for lipstick. I can't speak for the other colors, but Shame is a little TOO buttery, like it had been sitting in a hot car for a few hours and started to melt. It "glides" alright. It glides on and then keeps on going without you. It's like trying to wrangle greased lightening onto your lips. Once I finally got it on, I had to spend a good amount of time cleaning up my edges because it moves all over the place and never sets. It smudges if you move your mouth the wrong way. It smudges if you sneeze. It smudges if the wind blows. For such a creamy lipstick, it clings to the slightest dry patches and the coverage is quite patchy and difficult to even out. It doesn't matter much though, because within the hour it will inevitably be smeared on your chin, cheek or even your nose (like another reviewer stated) without even trying. You'll have no idea how it ends up in the places that it does. I have worn this lipstick 4-5 times before coming to the conclusion that it's not worth the hassle or the $22 price tag.

I will say that it does feel very comfortable and moisturizing on the lips, like a heavy protective balm. The best part about this product is the packaging, which I usually couldn't care less about unless it affects the product's performance. The tube is like a bullet! Shiny and heavy, feels nice in your hand. Its slightly odd shape and metallic texture make it easy to find in a purse or makeup bag. However, I'm gonna need more than just a pretty package for $22. This was the first UD product I wasn't completely, 100% satisfied with and I've been using UD since the late 90's. Definitely expected much more from Urban Decay, especially for those prices. I will certainly continue to by UDs other products but I will approach the lipsticks with caution be sure to seek them out to swatch in person before making my decision.

The good news is - because it transfers so easily I was able to use it as a guideline for custom fitting homemade latex prosthetic pieces to my face by roughly mapping it out with Shame on an angle brush then pressing the latex sheets to my face... voila! Instant pattern lines for cutting and fitting. I'll probably come up with a few little ideas here and there to work it into SFX makeups just so it's not a complete waste, but that's the end of the line for UD's Shame, at least in my wardrobe.

on 9/17/2015 11:08:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure

Sheer Shame: I ordered this online after reading about it somewhere. I meant to order the regular one and wound up with the sheer one. It's pure freaking bright pink berry on me and I can't stand it. BUT, it is no doubt the absolute best feeling, smoothest, lipstick I've ever put on my lips and I love that for the ten minutes it stays on. So, I will definitely be trying it in another shade, Sheer Shame just isn't for me. It really doesn't stay on anytime at all on me. The packaging (tube) is amazing, shiny and heavy, I really love that.

on 8/4/2015 10:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

I picked up this lipstick for $22 at Sephora. It is definitely not a cheap buy. It is very easy to apply and it holds well. The color came off as very red on my lips, which means that for some of us our teeth will look yellow. The color seems more purple in the tube and when blotting, but on my lips it's undeniably red. It is a very bold color, so if you like that this lipstick is perfect for you. The color is stunning, but unfortunately it just isn't the right shade for me.

on 7/31/2015 12:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

I love UD's Sheer Revolution Lipsticks. The formula is beyond compare (hence the three lippies). But Shame... Meh... It just wasn't right for me. it pulled much more "bright hot pink" than "berry" on me. I had to return it because it just wasn't what I was looking for. I wish they actually had a sheer berry lipstick in this line.

The colour is absolutely gorgeous. I've been looking for a perfect dark lipstick without looking "too goth" and this shade was the best so far. I didn't have any problem with application even on quite dry lips. Feels and wears nicely. Creamy, a bit too much shine for me. However. Needs a lip liner. Runs off of lip line pretty easy. Which for that price (and from that brand) is disappointing. I guess it's because of creamy consistency, but still... It's not a stain, smudges easily, although if not touched, the staying power is good.

Overall good product.