NARS Eye Paint - Black Valley

No Image

3.4

I bought this product based on the recommendations of the girl at Mecca, she tried it on her hand and the colour pigmentation was amazing. I tried it on myself the next morning, and the eyeliner wouldn't stay on the inner half of my eyes. It smeared even though I kept my eyes closed for a good minute or two. Really wanted to love it, but the product will be going back.

on 11/13/2014 10:48:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I use this as a gel liner, and for that purpose, I find it works pretty well. I've got horribly oily lids, so a primer is a must, otherwise this smudges like mad, but that's the case with any eyeliner for me, so I can't take points away for that.
It's dark black with a matte finish, which I appreciate, and it's quite creamy without being overly fluid. I find it's easy to control the amount I get on my brush, which makes creating a thin line quite easy. The soft formula makes creating a subtle flick extremely easy.
I've not used this for thicker lines, and I haven't used it as a full-on shadow base either (which I probably won't ever do, seeing as this is completely black). So I can't attest to its performance in those areas.
The packaging is standard to most gel liners. NARS' logo is printed attractively on the lid. It looks and feels sturdy.
I may or may not repurchase depending on whether or not the Cailyn liner I've been eying ends up working for me (which, incidentally, has far more positive reviews and costs $5 less). Given the high price point on the Eye Paint, I'm hesitant to give it another go. However, some of the other colors are rather gorgeous and quite unique, so I may branch out and give those a whirl if my wallet permits.
Overall, it's a good product. It doesn't solve all my problems, but it does the trick if I want a thin, matte line along my lashes.

on 8/3/2014 7:18:00 AM

I initially hated this liner because it smudged like crazy - I realised it was because my eye cream was much too heavy for use under makeup. Since then I've began using the Nars eyeshadow primer with my makeup and the liner lasts perfectly - except on the inner corners of my eyes but I've not found a liner that doesn't smudge there yet. The pigmentation is fantastic and the consistency is wetter than previous gel liners I've used and I prefer it, it seems to glide over my eyes better. I've had the liner for 6 months so far and made a tiny dent in it and it hasn't dried out at all.

on 4/5/2014 2:16:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

Unfortunately, NARS Eye Paint smudges terribly on my oily lids. Due to rave reviews on the blogosphere about these eye paints, I was hoping these would work for me. Unfortunately, it smudged to the extent that I ended up having to return this. If you don't have oily lids, this product should work much better for you.

on 10/3/2013 6:51:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

After using MAC Blacktrack fluidline for years and gradually switching over to eyeliner pencils, NARS sucked me back into using gel eyeliners with these new Eye Paints. Black Valley is a plain black liner but it's more pigmented than Blacktrack or Stila smudgepot. I haven't used this as a eyeshadow yet because it's super pigmented and sooty black, but I think other shades in this line may be more suitable for use as a base eyeshadow. These have a just about right drying/setting time so that you have enough time to blend your eyeshadow if you like. I like using a thick line on the upper lashline and blending a dark eyeshadow for a smokey eye, and then using the leftover liner on the brush on the corners of my lower lashline. Staying power is pretty good, although generally I always have a little wear close to my eyelashes due to seasonal allergies (my problem, not the product). Removal is a breeze with a cleansing water/oil or makeup remover wipes. It's a bit pricey at $25/pot, but I'm a sucker for all things NARS so I think it's worth it, especially if you get one of the more unique shades.