Coastal Scents Hot Pots (general)

Filtered by skin tone : Medium
No Image

3.3

on 12/16/2015 5:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

To be totally honest, I think people rate these highly because of the price. A friend of mine loved these and recommended a few shades to me so I thought it would be a great idea if I made a palette for them. I bought 15 shadows and they've... mostly gone unused. Sadly.

These Hot Pots have too much fallout and crumble very easily, and the color fades even with good primers (I like NARS and the wet n'wild one).

I also dislike that the color for many of these shadows is not saturated/pigmented after application on the eye. Good swatches don't necessarily translate into good performance once on the eyelid. It seems like these Hot Pots do not adhere well to the skin.

If you ask my opinion... I think many consumers get sidetracked by quantity vs quality. Save money by trying 1 thing at a time rather than 5 because you're so excited that other people are raving about it. Your own experience with a product is fundamentally more important and relevant than what a Youtube guru (who could have been sponsored to promote a product) has to say.

For people on a budget, I recommend the e.l.f. smudge pots, Kiko eyeshadow sticks, and the L'ORÉAL Infallible eyeshadows.

on 7/25/2014 2:00:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Generally, the more shimmery the color, the better the payoff. Some of these feel like a dream but look frosty and garish on my eyes. That is not to say there aren't some beautiful shades in this range with excellent quality that rival department store products. With 300 separate pans, there are bound to be some hits and misses. I find that these are about on par with good drugstore brands like Nyx and Milani. The most fabulous thing about them is the customizability. I love that these pans are magnetic and I can switch them around and create looks. You get a ton of product for the price, which is normally $1.99 but will go on sale for half off. I don't recommend getting the pre-made palettes unless you can get them deeply discounted. I have 4 of them and there are several colors that overlap. (I got them deeply discounted). You do need to get the empty palettes separately (a 12 pan palette costs $6 and has a nice big mirror). Some of my favorites: Cherry Chocolate, Regalia Purple, Deep Merlot, Mauve, Camel Taupe, Bazaar, Berry Grey, Dark Golden Olive. I don't have enough mattes to recommend any of them.

Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure

CHECK OUT MY REVIEW HERE: https://makeupbyfranchesca.squarespace.com/reviews/2013/12/11/coastal-scents-haulreview-dec-2013
INCLUDES A REVIEW OF COASTAL SCENTS HOT POTS AND MORE