Coastal Scents Hot Pots (general)

No Image

4.6

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

So impressed and happy with these! For the price and value, they can't be beat. I wanted matte shadows since I have a lot of shimmers, so I bought: Oatmeal Tan, Persian Peach, Kokomo, Harvest Brown, Oktoberfest, and Tangelo Tint. I recommend all these shades HIGHLY they are the warms browns you see on trend. The blend really well and aren't chalky or powdery. Very very happy with these and am going to buy more!

I love these inexpensive eyeshadows...I have tried many drugstore eyeshadows and a few high end but these are honestly the best. They are inexpensive and are offered in a variety of shades and they blend well and offer lots of pigmentation. I sometimes get tempted to buy new eyeshadow palettes in store but when I swatch them I end up feeling that what I already have in coastal scents hot pots are exactly what I like so I dont feel the need to buy more eyeshadows..I havent bought any other brand shadows for ages.

I made 2 custom palettes from coastal scents with these shadows. I have one for more natural looks and the other filled with brighter shades.

I dont use primer most of the time and I never have problems with creasing or fading with these shadows, but keep in mind that my skin tends to be on the dry side as well and my eyelids are very normal, not oily or anything.

My FAVORITE shade is 'victorian pear'...its the PERFECT nudey dusky pink color to apply all over my lid, I wear it on its own most days when i dont feel like spending a lot of time doing my eyeshadow. I LOVE IT so much!!

on 3/28/2016 6:40:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

The colors are slightly different from what's on the site. I apply most of my eyeshadow with a flat paintbrush, as I feel it grants a more accurate shape. these do not disappoint, they're high quality, super pigmented, and the variety of shades is INSANE. They work well with each other. I ended up using the sample of Shea butter they gave me as a primer, and it works great as well.

One of my colors flipped out of the packaging, the packaging's a bit weird. On to the shadows themselves, These are AMAZING. Of course, I've only owned wet n' wild, Jcat beauty, and naked cosmetics shadows before, some of which came from ipsy bags. I don't know what people are on about with the mattes, they seem very pigmented to me, whether I swatch them with my finger or a brush, but YOU MUST use primer, the colors are much brighter and alive that way. all of the colors have been quite good quality, and for 99 cents (I bought them half price) they're quite a steal. I bought about 26, and there hasn't been a single dud, although the colors can differ compared to what's on the site, for example, Frosted Pea looks pale green, but online, It's more of a white. They're easy to blend (even though I suck at blending)

I love coastal scents hotpots more than UD naked, so thats saying something.
Yes most matte colors are sucks, powdery, some are not pigmented, some are so hard and cant picked up with brush (specially purple ones)
Thats why i usually choose shimmers.
Satins are not so good either, but after i repress them, they work absolutely fine.
What i like the most is because i can choose my own colors and change how they areanged on my palette (weird thing i like).
And theyre cheap also. So yes! Buy them shimmers!
But maybe skip the mattes.
And if u dont mind extra effort on some satins, buy them too.

on 6/9/2015 9:19:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Cool

These eyeshadows are beyond amazing especially for the price. They are 1.95 regularly and they go on sale a couple times out of the year for 99 cents...you can't find a better deal then that..these are highly pigmented shadows and blend wonderfully..one tip i would give everyone is too read the description of each shadow.....so many ppl do not do this and then complain that it is sheer to too shimmery or something to that effect. They have a description on each color telling you the shade.. its opacity..and if its shimmer matte satin whatever finish...that way you know what to expect...the only colors i found to have a little trouble with are the matte purples not all of them but some of the deeper colors do not have the color payoff like the rest of the shadows..these shadpws can be used without a primer and they will still be very vibrant and last a long time but i always wear primer with my eyeshadow..these shadows last all day until i wash them off they blend very nicely and i dont get alot of fallout..i have never had any allergic reaction to them.. I have 4 large custom palettes from CS and 1 12 pan palette for my kit...then i have a few of their other palettes they make, the creative me 1 palette...think pink palette....fall festive palette which is beyond beatiful...and the smokey palette...I use them all on clients and i have never had a complaint or a bad reaction from a client..I will say this though about the smokey palette i was kind of let down maybe i got a dud but its not as pigmented as the rest of my palettes...i also have the 252 color palette and wow is all i can say to that...beyond pigmented beautiful colors and finishes..i also have their blush palette which is amazing and their reavealed palettes which are just as amazing and they are also great dupes for the urban decay naked 123 palettes..I have all 3 naked palettes so there is definitely dupes to all the colors in the reavealed palettes...I recommend the hot pots by coastal scents sooo much you wont be dissatisfied..just be sure to read the description on the colors so you know exactly what you are getting.

on 4/13/2015 4:44:00 AM

I noticed that there aren't many reviews for matte Hot Pots. I have 11 matte Hot Pots and 1 shimmery shade. One light matte (Chamois Nude) and a range of reddish-purplish and brown shadows, plus a shimmery Light Apricot. They're fantastic!

The matte shadows are pigmented BUT there is a bit of a learning curve. They are not buttery soft like Urban Decay eye shadows. Still, they can be blended beautifully -- it just takes a bit more than one quick swirl. This allows for more control over blending. It is easy to build up colour. I think this is because the shadows contain kaolin clay. Kaolin clay increases adhesion. I have an Illamasqua Facets palette that includes a few eye shadows and an eyebrow powder. In that palette, the brow powder has kaolinite in it and it performs differently to the eye shadows. It kind of sticks more. It's the same with the Coastal Scents Hot Pots. It's more noticeable in the mattes.

I do use a primer so I don't know how the shadows would last alone on my oily lids but with primer they last all day unchanged, from 8am to 7pm, when I remove my make up.

on 12/19/2014 12:09:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Coastal Scents Hot Pots are among my favorite eyeshadows. The price/quality ratio simply can not be beaten as the pigmentation and blend-ability of them is awesome. I bought these Hot Pots when they were on sale at $0.99 a piece. The regular price is $1.95 each which is still very affordable. There are also more than 300 colors to choose from so there are a few unique shades in the line.

The performance of these is on par with any high end eyeshadow in my opinion. I have purchased both their mattes and shimmers, the matte eyeshadows are very good but the shimmers are outstanding-I prefer Coastal Scents Hot Pot shimmers to Makeup Geek and they are cheaper. I have over 30 of the Hot Pots and the following are my favorites:

Fleshtone (now called Nectar) - Gorgeous champagne highlight color. A universal color that will suit most skin tones. There are probably a few dupes of this color out there. However what makes Fleshtone awesome is that it's so pigmented and smooth that it's a dream to use. I really like this on the browbone/inner corners but it also works well on the cheekbones.

Bright Copper- Stunning rose gold shimmer that is so smooth and pigmented. Another favorite.

Copper Pot- This is a great shimmery golden brown with orange undertones. It's beautiful but a very dupable color. The color is very close to MAC Amber Lights but with a more shimmery finish.

Elven Gold-This is a light gold with a slight green undertone. It works well as a highlight and looks great paired with green eyeshadows.

Tuscany- This is a unique color that I'd describe as a matte pinky brown with a bit of orange in it. It reminds me of a terracotta tile and I love this color in the crease. Beautiful.

Paprika- This is a deeper,redder version of Tuscany, the two are very similar and I love both.

Dark Golden Olive- The name is a bit of a misnomer as there's nothing golden about it. It's a dark khaki green with more of a satin than shimmery finish. Awesome color.

Medieval Gold-This is an antique bronze color with great texture and pigmentation.

Golden Avocado - Perfect shimmery golden green, very flattering everyday green for me.

Redstone- A shimmery wine-burgundy red. A gorgeous color for fall.

Cherry Moss- A gorgeous brown/green duochrome eyeshadow. Similar to MAC Club

Spruced Up-A shimmery light green with some grey tones. Very pretty.

Mai Tai- A pretty shimmery taupe with some purple tones. Along the lines of MAC Satin Taupe/Makeup Geek Prom Night.

Deep Viridian- this is a matte deep turquoise, not quite as wearable a color as some of the others but the pigmentation of it is insane. Would make a great eyeliner. If you're a fan of blue-green eyeshadows, you'll want this.

Pumpkin Pie- This is a great matte ,light tan color. This one is very close to my skin tone so it's perfect for blending.

Oatmeal Tan- This is similar to Pumpkin Pie but it's a bit darker. This one is also great for blending and it works as an all over lid color when I want a nude eye look.

Chocolatier-Beautiful matte dark reddish brown. This is a great matte that is so pigmented and buttery.

Oktoberfest- Initially I wasn't a huge fan of this one but it steadily grew on me. It's a matte burnt orange- brown that works with warm eye looks. It looks great in the crease and adds intensity to a warm neutral eye look.

**If forced to choose I'd say Nectar,Tuscany, Pumpkin Pie, Oatmeal Tan,Bright Copper, Golden Avocado, Redstone, Chocolatier and Medieval Gold would be my must haves from the entire line.

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other

Wow this has to be the highest rating i've ever given a product! These are so cheap, under $2, and soooo incredibly buttery, creamy, and pigmented. They're so pigmented that you would swear that its a loose pigment rather than a pressed eyeshadow. These blend better than makeupgeek eyeshadows, and i have a bunch of those two, which are 3x the cost :/

Also there are so many colors to choose from which is great. I love the neutrals and coppers--definitely check out "bright copper" and "peachy copper"--soo vibrant, blendable and gorgeous!

on 8/6/2014 3:13:00 PM

I really like Coastal Scents' hot pot single eyeshadows! There are TONS of colors to choose from, way more than the singles BH Cosmetics offers. They have a good range of textures to choose from as well, & they have everything to rich metallics, everyday neutrals, blending shades, brights, darks, satins, & everything in between! Also, I'm convinced that the eyeshadow they use for the hot pots is different than the eyeshadow in the 88 palettes (or the 120's, 252's, etc. Basically the ones that have tons of colors), it seems to be much better quality. Don't get me wrong, I have the 88 Original palette & I love it & am satisfied with the quality, but I'm just saying that in my experience, I feel that the shadow for the Hot Pots is better. It's cool because they sell the pans of eyeshadow separately, & empty palettes, so you can build your own palette, or if you already have a palette at home & don't need a new one you can save some money & just buy the refills-I believe that they fit into Mac palettes, but am not 100% certain on that-would be easy enough to find out though. A few of my favorites I reach for alot off the top of my head are Wishy-Washy, Steel Grey, Kodiak, & Rainstorm.