4.4

package quality

price range

Reviews

9 months ago

Coastal Scents hot pots truly beat out a lot of high end eyeshadow for me. Hear me out. The proliferation of eyeshadow palettes has offered much value, variety and quality in the realm of eye makeup. After using and wearing a range of eyeshadow from drugstore to high end, I have come to the conclusion that Coastal Scents hot pots are the best for the makeup beginner and everyday makeup wearer. While I do find MAC eyeshadow to be the most superior eyeshadow formula out there (no kick up of powder, hyperdimension, stunning finish, long lasting, variety, value, photographs excellently well, perfect pigmentation without being too pigmented, etc I could go on and on but I will stop), I still consider Coastal Scents hot pots my favorite for several reasons. Coastal Scents hot pots taught me with ease what no other eyeshadow could--what eyeshadow is supposed to look like, work like and act like. After using hot pots, my eyeshadow game went through the roof with any eyeshadow formula. It is true that many eyeshadow formulas should come with a manual no matter how experienced or talented one is. It requires knowledge and practice to really get it right because each formula works a little differently (Wet N Wild, Natasha Denona, Anastasia Beverly Hills, Too Faced, Elf, Makeup Geek, NARS, Dior, Tom Ford, Morphe, Makeup Revolution etc). And even with advanced skill, some formulas require time and effort to blend (I'm looking at you MAC...but please don't change the formula because nobody has time for that either) and you can actually get the blending wrong. What I like most about Coastal Scents hot pots is that they create a) a seamless blend; with b) gorgeous dimension; creating c) an ideal stunning finished look; with d) ease of application; while e) requiring little time or effort, which may sound simple but has been incredibly difficult to achieve across a variety of brands. No matter your skill level, you can get it right and accomplish what no other eyeshadow can do as efficiently. And from there, you will be better skilled to handle other formulas because you will know what the final product should look like ideally, which is why I recommend it for beginners (as well as the skilled). In essence, Coastal Scents hot pots are eyeshadow #goals. It must be stressed that dimensionality in eyeshadow, though an aspect rarely discussed, is one of the most beautiful parts of eyeshadow, second to good blending in my opinion. But even worse than it being rarely discussed is that it is actually hard to find in some eyeshadows sadly. Even well blended eyeshadow can still look flat with little differentiation in depth and dimension depending on the brand. High dimensionality includes but is not limited to the difference between an eye contour making your eye socket look much deeper versus as it typically is; the depth created by a gradiant effect of lighter to deeper colors in the crease; or the mere richness, reflection and depth in a eyelid color that makes it look different depending on how the light hits it. Coastal Scents eyeshadows have high dimensionality in spades. Coastal Scents hot pots tend to create gorgeous dimension in the final look. Crease shades offer depth and stunning gradient effects which I have found difficult to mimic with other formulas. These shades can be wiped on quickly with a brush, blended together in seconds and blend together so beautifully as to be unbelievable even in comparison to some other brands that do not create as beautiful a final effect and will take much more precision, energy and time. The shimmer shades both on the lid and in the crease has breathtaking dimension and shine and can be applied so easily, quickly and beautifully with just your finger. This comes in handy when you are rushing out the door but you really want beautiful eye makeup. With such a low cost, Coastal Scents hot pots not only offer costs savings but also time and energy savings and a superior final product. Where hot pots fail is also actually its strength. Hot pots are not known for the extreme pigmentation that is currently on trend. I did not initially like hot pots for exactly this reason. I thought that pigmentation was everything. But what I found is that high pigmentation is not what I am after on an everyday basis. While I am absolutely in love with my other eyeshadows with extreme pigmentation, I do not desire to wear them to everyday situations like work or the grocery store. High pigmentation is better for stage, camera and video, thus I like to wear if filming, taking photographs, on holidays, vacations, parties and the like. But how often am I doing that? Not often. I find the hot pots pigmentation perfect for everyday *and* photographs. It's just that other eyeshadows create even a stronger pop effect with crazy pigmentation in photos but that does not mean the hot pots with less pigmentation will not take absolutely lovely photos. I prefer a subtle gorgeous eye look more regularly and less pigmentation (but perfect pigmentation) can be just the right thing. I definitely recommend hot pots for those who like to wear lovely, wearable eyeshadow often. I would not mind if more brands mimicked Coastal Scents. I was unhappy when Coastal Scents raised their hot pot prices to $3 from $2 (because I was spoiled on their prices) but it is worth it. Plus, they tend to have 99cent hot pot sales throughout the year. With over 200 smooth, most buttery hot pots to choose from, they are truly beating everyone out for shade options. And I have been able to learn and experiment with shades I would not otherwise be able to find on the market or I can preview before I purchase a more expensive version of a particular shade. Some of my favorite shades are Oatmeal Tan, Deep Roast, Light Bronze, Dark chocolate, Fools Gold, Incognito (soft subtle smoky black for any day...on outer v or lash line wooo!), Teal Green, Kokomo Cafe & Barista. I am thoroughly impressed with this product.

About reviewer (37 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinVery Dry, Deep Dark, Warm

HairBrown, Other, Medium

1.0

a year ago

Their products are pretty good for the price however, I had 4 different answers to my questions from 4 different costumer service people including Emma, the manager. This is one of the worst companies to deal with if you have any issues with your orders.

About reviewer (1 reviews)

Age56 & Over

SkinVery Dry, Fair-Medium

HairBlond

EyesHazel

3.0

3 years ago

These eyeshadow are very similar to morphe single shadows. They are hit and misses. Some are very soft and others are super chalky (burnt umber) They also don't blend well. I don't think I will be repurchasing since the ingredients are not the safest.

About reviewer (32 reviews)

Age30-35

SkinVery Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

HairBrunette, Wavy, Medium

4 years ago

So impressed and happy with these! For the price and value, they can't be beat. I wanted matte shadows since I have a lot of shimmers, so I bought: Oatmeal Tan, Persian Peach, Kokomo, Harvest Brown, Oktoberfest, and Tangelo Tint. I recommend all these shades HIGHLY they are the warms browns you see on trend. The blend really well and aren't chalky or powdery. Very very happy with these and am going to buy more!

About reviewer (94 reviews)

SkinOther, Fair

HairBlond

4 years ago

I picked up some of these cs hot pots for $0.99 each when they were on sale. For the price, I did not expect the shadows to have such smooth and blendable formulas. I especially recommend getting the shade cherry moss because it is a beautiful golden brown with green duochrome. However, the matte eyeshadow formulas can be a bit dry and powdery, depending on which shade you get. The shimmery formulas are wonderful, and I find them on par with some of the shimmery shades from Lorac in quality. I find these cs hot pots to be superior to most ds eyeshadow palettes, with the exception of loreal infallible e/s singles and milani bella e/s. If you are on a low-budget and don't want to pay too much for eyeshadows, pick some up and you won't regret it!

About reviewer (4 reviews)

Age19-24

SkinCombination, Other

HairOther

EyesOther

4 years ago

I love these inexpensive eyeshadows...I have tried many drugstore eyeshadows and a few high end but these are honestly the best. They are inexpensive and are offered in a variety of shades and they blend well and offer lots of pigmentation. I sometimes get tempted to buy new eyeshadow palettes in store but when I swatch them I end up feeling that what I already have in coastal scents hot pots are exactly what I like so I dont feel the need to buy more eyeshadows..I havent bought any other brand shadows for ages. I made 2 custom palettes from coastal scents with these shadows. I have one for more natural looks and the other filled with brighter shades. I dont use primer most of the time and I never have problems with creasing or fading with these shadows, but keep in mind that my skin tends to be on the dry side as well and my eyelids are very normal, not oily or anything. My FAVORITE shade is 'victorian pear'...its the PERFECT nudey dusky pink color to apply all over my lid, I wear it on its own most days when i dont feel like spending a lot of time doing my eyeshadow. I LOVE IT so much!!

About reviewer (74 reviews)

SkinAcne-prone, Fair, Not Sure

HairBlond, Other, Other

EyesBlue

4 years ago

The colors are slightly different from what's on the site. I apply most of my eyeshadow with a flat paintbrush, as I feel it grants a more accurate shape. these do not disappoint, they're high quality, super pigmented, and the variety of shades is INSANE. They work well with each other. I ended up using the sample of Shea butter they gave me as a primer, and it works great as well.

About reviewer (24 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinNormal, Fair, Warm

HairBrunette, Other, Other

4 years ago

One of my colors flipped out of the packaging, the packaging's a bit weird. On to the shadows themselves, These are AMAZING. Of course, I've only owned wet n' wild, Jcat beauty, and naked cosmetics shadows before, some of which came from ipsy bags. I don't know what people are on about with the mattes, they seem very pigmented to me, whether I swatch them with my finger or a brush, but YOU MUST use primer, the colors are much brighter and alive that way. all of the colors have been quite good quality, and for 99 cents (I bought them half price) they're quite a steal. I bought about 26, and there hasn't been a single dud, although the colors can differ compared to what's on the site, for example, Frosted Pea looks pale green, but online, It's more of a white. They're easy to blend (even though I suck at blending)

About reviewer (2 reviews)

AgeUnder 18

SkinNormal, Fair-Medium

HairBrunette

4 years ago

I love coastal scents hotpots more than UD naked, so thats saying something. Yes most matte colors are sucks, powdery, some are not pigmented, some are so hard and cant picked up with brush (specially purple ones) Thats why i usually choose shimmers. Satins are not so good either, but after i repress them, they work absolutely fine. What i like the most is because i can choose my own colors and change how they areanged on my palette (weird thing i like). And theyre cheap also. So yes! Buy them shimmers! But maybe skip the mattes. And if u dont mind extra effort on some satins, buy them too.

About reviewer (3 reviews)

SkinCombination, Olive

HairBlack

EyesBlack

2.0

4 years ago

To be totally honest, I think people rate these highly because of the price. A friend of mine loved these and recommended a few shades to me so I thought it would be a great idea if I made a palette for them. I bought 15 shadows and they've... mostly gone unused. Sadly. These Hot Pots have too much fallout and crumble very easily, and the color fades even with good primers (I like NARS and the wet n'wild one). I also dislike that the color for many of these shadows is not saturated/pigmented after application on the eye. Good swatches don't necessarily translate into good performance once on the eyelid. It seems like these Hot Pots do not adhere well to the skin. If you ask my opinion... I think many consumers get sidetracked by quantity vs quality. Save money by trying 1 thing at a time rather than 5 because you're so excited that other people are raving about it. Your own experience with a product is fundamentally more important and relevant than what a Youtube guru (who could have been sponsored to promote a product) has to say. For people on a budget, I recommend the e.l.f. smudge pots, Kiko eyeshadow sticks, and the L'ORÉAL Infallible eyeshadows.

About reviewer (134 reviews)

Age19-24