MAC Retro Matte - All Fired Up

Filtered by eye Color : Black
MAC Retro Matte - All Fired Up
Retro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired Up

4.3

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I hear people describing this as red all the time, but on me it's bright pink- a reddish fuchsia, but still pink, not red. I've always had trouble with bright pinks, which tend to make me look washed out but the reddish undertone means this is one of the few that looks good - it actually pops and lights up my face. Ruby Woo is my HG lipstick for a classic look, but AFU is what I wear when I want something slightly fresher and more poppy.

Texture-wise, this is an easier lipstick to apply than Ruby Woo. Like most MAC mattes, it has phenomenal staying power and fades to a bright stain. The absolute matte-ness of it makes for fantastic pigmentation, but it's absolutely imperative to make sure your lips are moisturised/non-flaky before application, because it WILL cling to the flakes.

All in all, it's a great lipstick and I would much rather have yet another backup of it than waste money on liquid lipsticks which are much worse on the dryness and texture fronts. I feel like for a while there, people were so caught up in that liquid lipstick craze that they forgot lipstick in a bullet could do the job just as well.

on 12/12/2015 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a unique colour. It's a cool toned mix between cherry red, deep fuschia and dark pink with blue undertones and can look either more red or more pink, depending on your skin and the liner you use. It brightens the face, makes the teeth look whiter and compliments especially dark blue, light purple and lavender and also stark white clothes. Looks great with a winged eye liner or with just mascara, and is more modern and fresh-looking than a classic red lip. It attracts a lot of attention from other people.

The reason I'm giving it a 3 and not more is the formula. Yes, it is long lasting, but it is extremely dry and difficult to work with. It's a lipstick you need to spend at least 10-15 minutes to apply correctly and to make it look good you absoluteley need to exfoliate your lips, properly moisturise them, use a lip primer, line them with a lip liner, apply with a lip brush after having worked the lipstick on the back of your hand in order to warm it up, sharpen the edges of your lips with a beige liner or concealer and top it off with a tiny bit of gloss. While you're at it, dab a little shimmery shadow on the middle of you bottom lip as well.

If you don't do all that, it's going to emphasise all the dry patches and lines of your lips and make them look pruny, small, uneven and miserable.

See what I mean? It's going to look lovely, but you're going to need like 6-7 more products in order to make it so. And take your time. This is no slap_it_on_and_get_out_the_door lipstick.

Also, it's difficult to touch up. After 4-5 hours the lipstick on your inner bottom lip might go away, especially if you drink, eat or smoke. It's hit or miss if it's going to take with it the dry skin of your lips. Because, make no mistake, your lips are going to get dry after some hours, even with all this preparation. If the skin goes away along with the lipstick there is no way you are going to make this formula stick to the inner lip again. Have at hand a dark fuschia balm to apply there.

It's a lovely colour but for me, it's not worth the hassle, so I'm not going to repurchase. I'm also extremely sceptical abour purchasing Ruby Woo, because I'm affraid I'm going to face the same issues. I really wish that they did these colours in Matte formula. Retro Matte is way too dry, in my opinion.

EDIT: I found out it works best with the MAC Prep + Prime Lip primer. Seriously, MAC. Couldn't they just tell us this little bit of crucial information?

on 7/22/2014 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Warm

The first lipstick from Mac that I own and I am hooked! The formula is great. Lasts long, doesn't dry out my lips, super pigmented, the colour is an instant eye catch, but not overwhelmingly bright. Just perfection! I want more of their lip colours now!