MAC Cosmetics Retro Matte - All Fired Up

Filtered by hair type : Straight
MAC Cosmetics Retro Matte - All Fired Up
Retro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired Up

4.2

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The others have stated my feelings on this lipstick. Color is gorgeous though not as dramatic on the lips as in the tube. I LOVE the color. But- I'm not a huge make up person and this is too high maintenance for me. Drying, drags.... Not worth the effort of applying other products to make this perfect. I love MAC's Satin line and probably just need to stay there. I will probably give this one away. I've had probably 20 MAC shades and despite loving the shade of this one, it's my least favorite by a landslide :( it pains me to write that.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This lipstick looked so good in pictures that I had to order it even though I was dreading the "difficulty" of applying it based on reviews. Well it is gorgeous, and I didn't find it hard to apply at all! I usually exfoliate my lips by gently rubbing them in the shower under water to get rid of flakes anyway, and I always wear lip balm under anything because my lips are always dry. I didn't have to put in any extra effort to making this go on better. It took me maybe 5-6 minutes, if that, to put on and it looks great.

The color is a bright matte pinky red that's just so effortlessly sexy. I've tried pairing it with MAC Cherry lip pencil, and it does make it look redder and deeper. Great combo! But I love wearing it by itself too. I don't feel ready to rock a true red lipstick, so this is a great alternative.

on 12/12/2015 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a unique colour. It's a cool toned mix between cherry red, deep fuschia and dark pink with blue undertones and can look either more red or more pink, depending on your skin and the liner you use. It brightens the face, makes the teeth look whiter and compliments especially dark blue, light purple and lavender and also stark white clothes. Looks great with a winged eye liner or with just mascara, and is more modern and fresh-looking than a classic red lip. It attracts a lot of attention from other people.

The reason I'm giving it a 3 and not more is the formula. Yes, it is long lasting, but it is extremely dry and difficult to work with. It's a lipstick you need to spend at least 10-15 minutes to apply correctly and to make it look good you absoluteley need to exfoliate your lips, properly moisturise them, use a lip primer, line them with a lip liner, apply with a lip brush after having worked the lipstick on the back of your hand in order to warm it up, sharpen the edges of your lips with a beige liner or concealer and top it off with a tiny bit of gloss. While you're at it, dab a little shimmery shadow on the middle of you bottom lip as well.

If you don't do all that, it's going to emphasise all the dry patches and lines of your lips and make them look pruny, small, uneven and miserable.

See what I mean? It's going to look lovely, but you're going to need like 6-7 more products in order to make it so. And take your time. This is no slap_it_on_and_get_out_the_door lipstick.

Also, it's difficult to touch up. After 4-5 hours the lipstick on your inner bottom lip might go away, especially if you drink, eat or smoke. It's hit or miss if it's going to take with it the dry skin of your lips. Because, make no mistake, your lips are going to get dry after some hours, even with all this preparation. If the skin goes away along with the lipstick there is no way you are going to make this formula stick to the inner lip again. Have at hand a dark fuschia balm to apply there.

It's a lovely colour but for me, it's not worth the hassle, so I'm not going to repurchase. I'm also extremely sceptical abour purchasing Ruby Woo, because I'm affraid I'm going to face the same issues. I really wish that they did these colours in Matte formula. Retro Matte is way too dry, in my opinion.

EDIT: I found out it works best with the MAC Prep + Prime Lip primer. Seriously, MAC. Couldn't they just tell us this little bit of crucial information?

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

When I first saw this lipstick in the MAC Department at Selfridge's I just knew I had to add it to my collection of lipsticks. The colour is gorgeous and I thought it'd stay on all day with it being a matte lipstick. However, I found that when applying the lipstick, it easily clung to the tiniest dry parts of your lips so the process of ex-foliating, moisturising and applying lip primer before applying this lipstick is NEEDED. Which although should be the usual protocol, we all know this can be such a lengthy process that we all don't have the time or effort for. And throughout the day, the lipstick can get bitty and need removal and reapplication.

Pros:
- great colour
- lovely matte look

Cons:
- works against dry lips
- needs reapplying throughout the day.

Overall:
- Maybe this is just my experience or maybe I just had dry lips at the time I used this lipstick, but I was quite disappointed. I know matte lipsticks are known to dry out lips but I thought with it being MAC and the price it is, I expected better. You definitely need more products than just this lipstick on it's own to make it look great, but once you figure out how to apply it best to suit your lip type, it does look great. Practice makes perfect with this product.

on 1/16/2015 10:01:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I love the colour of this lipstick. It's quite bright so I would only wear it on a night out personally but it's very eye catching.

It's quite matte so like previous reviews, I'd definitely recommend some sort of conditioning of the lips prior to putting it on but it lasts hours and is very glam!

on 7/22/2014 11:33:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Warm

The first lipstick from Mac that I own and I am hooked! The formula is great. Lasts long, doesn't dry out my lips, super pigmented, the colour is an instant eye catch, but not overwhelmingly bright. Just perfection! I want more of their lip colours now!

on 4/18/2014 11:37:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Picked up this shade from the Retro Matte line despite my fear of mattes and bright colors at my age. I purchased Flat Out Fabulous a few days ago and really love it so I took the plunge with another one.

It's fuchsia and pulls reddish-pink or a pinkish-red depending on your skin tone and the lip liner you pair it with. I picked the Pro Longwear liner in "Trust in Red" and it tones down to a pinky red on my lips. Had I picked "Dynamo" the pinker tones would have been emphasized and it would have been more of a hot pink.

As with most Mac lipsticks this is high quality with less tug than you'd expect from a matte lipstick. The wear is great even when paired with a gloss. Blends well with the liner. Not drying on my lips but I exfoliate and moisturize them religiously so I wouldn't expect that to be an issue with most lipsticks. I did not try it with a balm first. Would definitely recommend to anyone who likes bright matte lipsticks.

on 2/23/2014 10:56:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

When the Retro Matte collection came out, I was already too late to order. Since then I was searching for the whole collection, but they're still sold out on the MAC website. Last friday I went to the city and as usual I needed to stop at the MAC counter, I looked at the lipstick display and I saw three ones of this collection. I ended up buying all three. My first impression was fantastic, they last very very long so huge plus!

on 11/8/2013 8:39:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm

Fabulous color! it is a NARs Dragon Girl but with a much smoother delivery and that little itty bitty pink undertone which makes it just about perfect.

love the retro matte's texture-- buttery and to me, non drying (I still use a balm underneath). Love the long wear and smooth feeling.

I can't find anything to criticize this gorgeous lippie.

I got all the colors except the darkest FOD (and only because I find it so dupeable with many similar in my stash).

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral

This is my first time trying one of MAC's retro matte lipsticks. I have NARS velvet matte Dragon Girl and I'm quite surprised how similar in color and texture All Fired up is to Dragon girl. If anything MAC's is just a hint more on the pink side. Once applied to the lips, I couldn't even tell a difference between the two. I fell in love with Nars but considering you only get 2.4 g in their jumbo pencil and 3.0g in MAC's lipstick, it's a no brainer when it comes down to the cost. You'll save 10 bucks and get more color going with MAC. I found all fired up comfortable to wear. I didn't experience any tugging, patchiness, or dryness while using it. If you're someone that enjoys the velvet matte pencils by NARS, try the retro matte collection. Your wallet will thank you :-)