MAC Retro Matte - All Fired Up

Filtered by skin type : Combination
MAC Retro Matte - All Fired Up
Retro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired Up

4.5

on 7/10/2017 4:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

I love this lip color! I pair it with Currant lip liner and give it a slight ombre look. On me it looks like a 80's pink Red.

on 12/12/2015 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a unique colour. It's a cool toned mix between cherry red, deep fuschia and dark pink with blue undertones and can look either more red or more pink, depending on your skin and the liner you use. It brightens the face, makes the teeth look whiter and compliments especially dark blue, light purple and lavender and also stark white clothes. Looks great with a winged eye liner or with just mascara, and is more modern and fresh-looking than a classic red lip. It attracts a lot of attention from other people.

The reason I'm giving it a 3 and not more is the formula. Yes, it is long lasting, but it is extremely dry and difficult to work with. It's a lipstick you need to spend at least 10-15 minutes to apply correctly and to make it look good you absoluteley need to exfoliate your lips, properly moisturise them, use a lip primer, line them with a lip liner, apply with a lip brush after having worked the lipstick on the back of your hand in order to warm it up, sharpen the edges of your lips with a beige liner or concealer and top it off with a tiny bit of gloss. While you're at it, dab a little shimmery shadow on the middle of you bottom lip as well.

If you don't do all that, it's going to emphasise all the dry patches and lines of your lips and make them look pruny, small, uneven and miserable.

See what I mean? It's going to look lovely, but you're going to need like 6-7 more products in order to make it so. And take your time. This is no slap_it_on_and_get_out_the_door lipstick.

Also, it's difficult to touch up. After 4-5 hours the lipstick on your inner bottom lip might go away, especially if you drink, eat or smoke. It's hit or miss if it's going to take with it the dry skin of your lips. Because, make no mistake, your lips are going to get dry after some hours, even with all this preparation. If the skin goes away along with the lipstick there is no way you are going to make this formula stick to the inner lip again. Have at hand a dark fuschia balm to apply there.

It's a lovely colour but for me, it's not worth the hassle, so I'm not going to repurchase. I'm also extremely sceptical abour purchasing Ruby Woo, because I'm affraid I'm going to face the same issues. I really wish that they did these colours in Matte formula. Retro Matte is way too dry, in my opinion.

EDIT: I found out it works best with the MAC Prep + Prime Lip primer. Seriously, MAC. Couldn't they just tell us this little bit of crucial information?

I'm in love with this shade it's a more red / pink. I never wear pink so this was a perfect find for me with just a tad bit of a vibrant Pink. The retro matte formula is my favourite as long as your moisturizing your lips. I great colour to finish off a natural makeup for a nice pop

on 6/15/2015 7:13:00 PM

Returning this. It's dry, and as a retro matte I expected that. Unfortunately even after applying with a brush, blotting, all that, the second I purse my lips, the inner lipstick comes off. This is immediate. Disappointed.

on 6/8/2015 6:13:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I really like this lipstick. On me, it's a matte berry red shade that goes great with a brown smokey eye or a no-makeup makeup look. The retro matte finish is not too drying and glides on smoothly, however, it does tend to transfer. I'd recommend exfoliating/moisturizing your lips before applying this lipstick because it slightly accentuates cracks and fine lines. It's a bold color perfect for spring and summer.

Hair: Other, Straight, Fine

When I first saw this lipstick in the MAC Department at Selfridge's I just knew I had to add it to my collection of lipsticks. The colour is gorgeous and I thought it'd stay on all day with it being a matte lipstick. However, I found that when applying the lipstick, it easily clung to the tiniest dry parts of your lips so the process of ex-foliating, moisturising and applying lip primer before applying this lipstick is NEEDED. Which although should be the usual protocol, we all know this can be such a lengthy process that we all don't have the time or effort for. And throughout the day, the lipstick can get bitty and need removal and reapplication.

Pros:
- great colour
- lovely matte look

Cons:
- works against dry lips
- needs reapplying throughout the day.

Overall:
- Maybe this is just my experience or maybe I just had dry lips at the time I used this lipstick, but I was quite disappointed. I know matte lipsticks are known to dry out lips but I thought with it being MAC and the price it is, I expected better. You definitely need more products than just this lipstick on it's own to make it look great, but once you figure out how to apply it best to suit your lip type, it does look great. Practice makes perfect with this product.

on 1/26/2015 3:12:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure

Many people claim that retro mattes dry your lips out much more than regular matte lipsticks. However, this wasn't my experience. I found it to be a quite comfortable wear that last well for about 6 hours. The color is kind of like a starwberry red and I love it!! Becuase I had already given too much of money to Mac and so I decided to pair it with a the wet and wild fuschia lip liner and think it marched pretty well. I love the warm undertones of all fired up. Most fuschia lip sticks tend to have cooler undertones so I was delighted when I came across all fired up. I definetly reccomend this product to others!

The best next to ruby woo. color , texture and it applies smoothly I like this lipstick a lot.

on 4/4/2014 10:18:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Cool

First, let me say this whole line of Retro Mattes are AMAZING my favorite formula ever. The wear is amazing...not only for longevity, but they wear away so perfect and even, not patchiness. Now onto the color. Its a pinky red, very bright. The color its actual closet to is NARS Luxemborg, which is one of my favorite NARS colors. Luxemborg is more glossy though, All Fired Up completely matte...of course. What I love is I can actually use the two layered to change the texture, and since the both wear amazing I don't have to worry about constant touch ups like you normally do with a bright lip! I don't find these overly drying, and this is as someone who is NOT a fan of "long wear" lip products. If you're afraid to try a "true" red, this is great color to try instead for a bright lip look. The color is super flattering and I could see it working on a variety of skin tones. It also makes your teeth look super white, and who doesn't love that!!!

Very very pretty colour. Stands out from all the fuschia's that I own. Might be too loud on fairer skin tones but is just right on my NC42 skin.