MAC Retro Matte - All Fired Up

MAC Retro Matte - All Fired Up
Retro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired UpRetro Matte - All Fired Up

4.5

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I hear people describing this as red all the time, but on me it's bright pink- a reddish fuchsia, but still pink, not red. I've always had trouble with bright pinks, which tend to make me look washed out but the reddish undertone means this is one of the few that looks good - it actually pops and lights up my face. Ruby Woo is my HG lipstick for a classic look, but AFU is what I wear when I want something slightly fresher and more poppy.

Texture-wise, this is an easier lipstick to apply than Ruby Woo. Like most MAC mattes, it has phenomenal staying power and fades to a bright stain. The absolute matte-ness of it makes for fantastic pigmentation, but it's absolutely imperative to make sure your lips are moisturised/non-flaky before application, because it WILL cling to the flakes.

All in all, it's a great lipstick and I would much rather have yet another backup of it than waste money on liquid lipsticks which are much worse on the dryness and texture fronts. I feel like for a while there, people were so caught up in that liquid lipstick craze that they forgot lipstick in a bullet could do the job just as well.

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Not Sure

This is the Taylor Swift lip! When I put it on I just started singing "shake it off"! lol! So I bought this and Ruby woo online. I never buy bright statement lipsticks! I usually wear peachy pinky nudes or darkest velvet teddy and brave. Brave is my HG! I want a more dressed up lip lately getting bored same old thing. I have about half Latin features so I have to be careful about reds or too dark of colors it can make me look awful. Ruby woo was way to bright and loud omg. Awful on me I really don't think it would look good on anyone honestly all the hype over a clown lip? it's not good trust me. This is more of a raspberry type of red..I brighten my face brings of my yellow golden undertone. I cannot wear this on its own though. I paired it with mac cherry lipliner perfect! and Estee lauder pure sculpting gloss in flirtatious magenta..and let me let you it's to die for the most beautiful lushish red lip ever. Keep in mind when you buy this is your like me who can't wear statement lips on everyday basis. You will need some kind of sheen or gloss and liner with this otherwise it's too flat and loud, stands out more way out! I excited to wear this lip going out or on a nice holiday or even maybe in summer but I definitely look way to dressed up to go to the store with this on fyi. So if your on the fence like me buy this for special occasions only with that in mind. Otherwise it will sit your makeup collection forever. So it's worth buying if you have somewhere to wear it and to looks like Taylor Swift lol.

Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I'm normally into MLBB/nudes so this was a bit of a deviation for me. It was rec'd to me by a friend on fb so I blind bought this off of Maccosmetics .com & I love it. It is a retro matte so it is very dry. I would classify this as a strawberry red (my mom saw it on me & goes "that's really red!!" Um, ok, she wasn't a fan I guess). This is bright without being dark nor vampy/goth. I personally love it for a brighter fun look better than Girl About Town I do love Candy Yum Yum for bright looks & I am hoarding a tube of Viva Glam Nicki but Viva Glam Miley 1 is also good. MAC has so many good shades! This manages to be dry (I rec'd MAC Prep + Prime Lip), but long wearing because it doesn't slide around & isn't emollient but this is 1 of the driest [traditional formula] lipsticks I own. I own a few Retro Mattes & I like the formula. It doesn't feel like I have a heavy coating on my lips. Lasts a long time. <3 #winning

on 8/16/2016 10:33:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

The others have stated my feelings on this lipstick. Color is gorgeous though not as dramatic on the lips as in the tube. I LOVE the color. But- I'm not a huge make up person and this is too high maintenance for me. Drying, drags.... Not worth the effort of applying other products to make this perfect. I love MAC's Satin line and probably just need to stay there. I will probably give this one away. I've had probably 20 MAC shades and despite loving the shade of this one, it's my least favorite by a landslide :( it pains me to write that.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This lipstick looked so good in pictures that I had to order it even though I was dreading the "difficulty" of applying it based on reviews. Well it is gorgeous, and I didn't find it hard to apply at all! I usually exfoliate my lips by gently rubbing them in the shower under water to get rid of flakes anyway, and I always wear lip balm under anything because my lips are always dry. I didn't have to put in any extra effort to making this go on better. It took me maybe 5-6 minutes, if that, to put on and it looks great.

The color is a bright matte pinky red that's just so effortlessly sexy. I've tried pairing it with MAC Cherry lip pencil, and it does make it look redder and deeper. Great combo! But I love wearing it by itself too. I don't feel ready to rock a true red lipstick, so this is a great alternative.

Amazing colour :) Downsides: the formula isn't very creamy so it's a bit hard to apply. Also fairly drying. If you have any flakey/dry skin on your lips at all, this will only make it worse!

on 12/12/2015 5:02:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

This is a unique colour. It's a cool toned mix between cherry red, deep fuschia and dark pink with blue undertones and can look either more red or more pink, depending on your skin and the liner you use. It brightens the face, makes the teeth look whiter and compliments especially dark blue, light purple and lavender and also stark white clothes. Looks great with a winged eye liner or with just mascara, and is more modern and fresh-looking than a classic red lip. It attracts a lot of attention from other people.

The reason I'm giving it a 3 and not more is the formula. Yes, it is long lasting, but it is extremely dry and difficult to work with. It's a lipstick you need to spend at least 10-15 minutes to apply correctly and to make it look good you absoluteley need to exfoliate your lips, properly moisturise them, use a lip primer, line them with a lip liner, apply with a lip brush after having worked the lipstick on the back of your hand in order to warm it up, sharpen the edges of your lips with a beige liner or concealer and top it off with a tiny bit of gloss. While you're at it, dab a little shimmery shadow on the middle of you bottom lip as well.

If you don't do all that, it's going to emphasise all the dry patches and lines of your lips and make them look pruny, small, uneven and miserable.

See what I mean? It's going to look lovely, but you're going to need like 6-7 more products in order to make it so. And take your time. This is no slap_it_on_and_get_out_the_door lipstick.

Also, it's difficult to touch up. After 4-5 hours the lipstick on your inner bottom lip might go away, especially if you drink, eat or smoke. It's hit or miss if it's going to take with it the dry skin of your lips. Because, make no mistake, your lips are going to get dry after some hours, even with all this preparation. If the skin goes away along with the lipstick there is no way you are going to make this formula stick to the inner lip again. Have at hand a dark fuschia balm to apply there.

It's a lovely colour but for me, it's not worth the hassle, so I'm not going to repurchase. I'm also extremely sceptical abour purchasing Ruby Woo, because I'm affraid I'm going to face the same issues. I really wish that they did these colours in Matte formula. Retro Matte is way too dry, in my opinion.

EDIT: I found out it works best with the MAC Prep + Prime Lip primer. Seriously, MAC. Couldn't they just tell us this little bit of crucial information?

on 10/9/2015 4:00:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse

For a nude lover like myself, this is extremely out of my comfort zone, yet I'm obsessed with how this lipstick just brightens up my face. It is a bright pinky red that gives such a beautiful velvetty matte finish. Be careful, this is super drying as all retro matte finishes are, but if you exfoliate, let a lip balm sink into your lips for a couple minutes and then apply, you should be all set. The fact that its long wearing, gives off such a beautiful matte finish & its ability to brighten up my face is enough justification to continue to purchase this lipstick as long as it's available. I'm an NC30 from Mac for reference, but I haven't seen this color be unflattering to anyone.

This shade is literally never in stock, because everyone seems to be obsessed with it and now that I own my tube of it - I totally justify the hype.

All Fired Up is a beautiful, deep berry red colour that has a retro matte finish. This means that it is drier than a matte and a bit difficult to apply. You certainly need to prep your lips beforehand for a flawless lipstick application.

It does however last all day long and survive all the drinking and eating. It doesn't smudge and has got that velvety-smooth look to it. Absolutely divine! If you like your reds a bit blue-ish and berry in colour - try this lipstick!

For swatches and more info on other best selling MAC lipsticks use the link below. Hope it helps deciding!

I'm in love with this shade it's a more red / pink. I never wear pink so this was a perfect find for me with just a tad bit of a vibrant Pink. The retro matte formula is my favourite as long as your moisturizing your lips. I great colour to finish off a natural makeup for a nice pop